Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
 How can i paint this? Painting tomorrow please help! >

How can i paint this? Painting tomorrow please help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

How can i paint this? Painting tomorrow please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i paint this? Painting tomorrow please help!

I have a revo platinum body that im painting daytona yellow with black pin stripes. How would i do this with masking tape and rattle cans?
Thanks a bunch! Please dont skimp on any details as this is my first body!
Thanks!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 AM

Default RE: How can i paint this? Painting tomorrow please help!

if you have to ask how to do pinstripes and for every single step in detail you probably arent ready to paint anything other than single color. Why dont you just do it a single color and buy the pinstriping seperate? that way if you mess up the pinstriping you can do it over.

if you are insistent on trying to do a 2 color on what is your first car body you have painted there is tutorials available - your already on the internet - the worlds largest repository of information.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 AM

I didnt really want every single step [:'(] Im guessing i mask my whole body but leave my stripes and paint black, then remove all tape and then paint the whole body yellow?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:23 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mask and paint you black strips first and the paint the yellow. If you paint the yellow first and then the black, the black could possibly bleed thru the yellow.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Yaksaddle

if you have to ask how to do pinstripes and for every single step in detail you probably arent ready to paint anything other than single color. Why dont you just do it a single color and buy the pinstriping seperate? that way if you mess up the pinstriping you can do it over.

if you are insistent on trying to do a 2 color on what is your first car body you have painted there is tutorials available - your already on the internet - the worlds largest repository of information.

Why bash someone for asking a question? The guy just wants to make sure he does it right the first time.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 AM

thanks dragon, would i have to mask the entire car just to do the stripes? And saddle, i dont get whats with the bashing, i asked a simple question, you were a noob at painting too once you know
Old 12-06-2008, 01:55 AM

I would mask the whole body. There are several things you can mask the body with, you can use blue painters masking tape, regular masking tape or liquid mask. The liquid mask is applied to the body using a paint brush, but it you are wanting to paint tomorrow you would be better off with the masking tape. There are several keys to painting and having it turn out nice. Make sure the paints (polycarbounate) are made for the lexan bodies.

1. Wash the body
2. Dry it
3. Aplly work masking tape
4. Make sure all the edges on the tape are tight so paint won't bleed under it.
5. Paint in light coats, letting them dry between sprays
6. Remove masking tape slowly after the paint is dry
7, Then spray the main color in light coats
8. Once you get it painted you will want to back it in white.
9. Take your time and be patient when your painting.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:58 AM

thanks sooo much!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 AM

No problem. When I started painting my rc bodies there wasn't any place that I could ask questions. I learned the hard and expensive way.

Don't forget to post some pics when you get it done.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 AM

It wasn't meant as a bash in any way
I apologize if my original post came off as harsh.
it was not intended to be.

I second everything he said above - make sure the masking tape is tight then tape it even tighter - use the edge of yoru drivers license, or credit card to really get it in tight spaces and curves etc. I use some rounded edge toothpicks for the fine work. Nothing is worse than having to hide a gorgeous paint job under stickers because of bleed.

Patience, light coats, proper drying time, proper amount of space, you picked 2 great colors as both will make the other color pop - sounds like you are doing a kind of Bumblebee look.

be careful for drips watch the tip of the can for buildup, go slow, be patient especially with how cold it is right now your dry time will be longer than if it was warmer.

Go thru the whole process mentally, make sure you have everything you need at yoru disposal while you are painting.

You will learn something new every single time you paint if you are prepared and patient and go slowly.

Best of luck!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 AM

Just a thought are you doing black pin stripes along the side of the body or more like racing stripes along the vertical line of the body??

Pinstriping will be easier as you will be able to find 2 end points on the front fender and rear fender to make it level line.
if its racing stripes I use one of those laser levels to project a straight line or at least help me get as "close" as possible.

I find the thinner the pinstripping the easier it is for me to visually see bleed so I usually do the racing stripes thicker.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks saddle, your first post just came off the wrong way. Im doing it along the hood, roof and trunk. I never thought of it but it is like bumblebee from transformers That laser sounds like a great idea but i do not have access to such a thing.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM

You will learn alot on the first body,just have fun. show us a pic hen your done.

Like above,
dark color first then lighter colors.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Im finished. It bled in some places, i placed the decals and it looks better, it looks pretty good i think (for a first body).
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM

thinner coats will stop the bleading.you will learn from each bod. just have fun
Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Looks good, any pics of the top?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM

They were very thin coats. I did like 5 thin coats, it was my masking job that messed it up.
Dragon here is a top picture and the side and rear. Im guessing you want to see them to see how bad i did. I think im going to try liquid mask next time... My stripe is uneven and it bled a bit, you can see above the bumper to the left, the bumper covers most of it up.

Im 14 and this is my first body (other than a heli body i sprayed all blue) so give me a break
My revo is awaiting a heart transplant, she will be getting a picco red dot into her [>:]
Old 12-06-2008, 10:57 PM

A laser level would be such a good idea but i do not have access to one. Im thinking i should have just painted it all yellow. Someone should give me ideas for my next body as i can get these for $20 a pop. My window maskes worked great, no bleeding at all there. Im thinking of doing a one tone for my next body and just putting the revo decals onto it. What colour should i paint it? Orange?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Looks great. I have been painting bodies for about 15 years now and I still have bleed marks occasionally.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Looks great. I have been painting bodies for about 15 years now and I still have bleed marks occasionally.
The stripe is crooked and it bled quite a bit. Im thinking of a 1 tone orange for my next body.... Im going to keep it simple as i only bash and will just wreck my body. It also looks better in real life
Old 12-06-2008, 11:32 PM

No worries...rattle can paint loves to creep under tape....you didnt do anything wrong realy.

Keep the can far from the body so it is ALMOST dry when it hits the body....The mask does work better.

If you want to play with colors try some pearl colors or "flip flops" ....very easy and they dance nice in the sunlight.
Heres a picture of pearl black and it flops to teal/orange/and purple....simple paint cans.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 PM

Ohhh! I seen someones revo that had the nicest pearl colour ever! It looked good. Thats what im doing next.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM

did you mask the car the day of painting or the night before? I find that if I mask the night before the tape lifts all over the place and leads to bleed heavily, I just picked up like 4 touring car bodies I need to paint, I had a few ideas pop up while watching this thread for ideas - I will try and post them later - I posted the last body I did for the wife, pink and white Acura came out reallly nice - its a shelf queen though, she doesnt want to put it on the track and mess it up....
Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

A laser level would be such a good idea but i do not have access to one. Im thinking i should have just painted it all yellow. Someone should give me ideas for my next body as i can get these for $20 a pop. My window maskes worked great, no bleeding at all there. Im thinking of doing a one tone for my next body and just putting the revo decals onto it. What colour should i paint it? Orange?
Don't worry about it, as you will learn after each body you paint. Also the more challanging paint jobs you try the more you will learn, but if you go too hard you will find yourself not having any fun. Also to me age has nothing to do with what you will be able to do, but if you say but I am only ___ years old, then really your not learning.

As for my first shell it had bleeds and what not everywhere, and now it really doesn't have much paint left on it, but when I went to do my 2nd shell things were a night and day differnce. And now after about 2.5 years later I am at a really high level with my painting.

So what I would rather see you do is do another stripe paint job, and apply what you learned form your first body, and I bet you will get better results. Also right now worry about getting clean paint lines that are free of bleeds, then you can worry about getting nice stright and smooth cut/masking lines.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM

well i think its pretty good !!
considering yellow and Black are some times for many kinda hard to work with be cause of the high contrast in color....
looks "Clean" simple and nice....
for different things there are so many ways to go....i do "Custom Automotive Paint" and i never get over some of the different things even we'll do....
almost endless?....
but ask your self what colors are you likeing this week? or to just try? maybe a Light color with higher contrasting stripes?
maybe just a single color again but with a pearl color, those always look cool.....
here's one? maybe an example for something?
dont pay attention to the speckels or the "Purple" airbrushed painted just under the Burgandy stripe....
but the overall idea...
these are kinda fun and simple....just get some 1/8 inch tape....no need to try and cut a line consistantly that wide...no need to make it hared than it is
just lay it along the side, then get some 1 inch or 2 inch tape which ever you feel comfortaple with
lay it "lenght wise" you'll be covering the pinstripe but thats ok....then once that is done should be kinda smooth, then take your X-acto knife
and "Lightly" score alone the top of the pinstripe yep, right on the middle..,it will be slightly raised because you covered it,and when held a littl to the light you can see it
i know it will seem hard but really not to hard but try not to cut to much into the pinstripe....
(I'll even post a short video if this can help everyone??)
then just peel away the tape that "overlapped" the pin stripe......and paint away for the top....
then paint the bottom, then peel away the pinstripe....paint all done.....

i hope this can maybe give a few ideas....
lets see your next project !!...sounds like it could be Interesting....

Oh, and you can do the little speckels with out an airbrush if this is something you'd like to try?
get an Old tooth brush, some latex gloves or something similar so ya dont get pait all over your hands, and the trusty "Rattle Can" paint....
so, just spray the tooth brush "Heavy" with paint...and run your finger over it...like when your done brushing the teeh and your drying it off....
practice on some old cardboard to get a feel for it...has a cool effect ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.