Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Flashing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
cbr6fs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing exhaust

Hi guys,

I have some LED's sitting here doing nothing and fancy sticking a couple of the red ones in the exhaust.

I have a LED kit and controller coming that activates the brake lights when braking, but i fancy something more realistic for the exhaust than just coming on with the brakes.

I've tried a few experiments, the first one was using very weak spring and a long bolt.
I connected the + to the spring and the - to the bolt, the plan would then be to connect this up to the brake light line so the exhaust flashes only when the brake lights are active.
My hope was that as the car de-accelerates it would wobble the spring so it makes contact with the bolt.

In practice it doesn't work at all.

I've tried mounting it at various angles, and used various strength springs, but it's either pretty much always on, or always off.

Ideally i'd like the exhaust to flash randomly in varying lengths of flashes (time) just like the real thing.

Anyone else have any ideas please?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 AM
authorjim1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flashing exhaust

ORIGINAL: cbr6fs

Hi guys,

I have some LED's sitting here doing nothing and fancy sticking a couple of the red ones in the exhaust.

I have a LED kit and controller coming that activates the brake lights when braking, but i fancy something more realistic for the exhaust than just coming on with the brakes.

I've tried a few experiments, the first one was using very weak spring and a long bolt.
I connected the + to the spring and the - to the bolt, the plan would then be to connect this up to the brake light line so the exhaust flashes only when the brake lights are active.
My hope was that as the car de-accelerates it would wobble the spring so it makes contact with the bolt.

In practice it doesn't work at all.

I've tried mounting it at various angles, and used various strength springs, but it's either pretty much always on, or always off.

Ideally i'd like the exhaust to flash randomly in varying lengths of flashes (time) just like the real thing.

Anyone else have any ideas please?

Use a mercury switch or several in different directions.

This is a switch with mercury inside that will activate based on tilt or inertia. When the car decelerates or accelerates depending on the orientation of the switch it will complete the circuit and your exhausts will flash. You can get them at auto supply stores or electronic houses. If radio shack doesn't have it go on line to some on line electronic houses. If you align the switch to the longitudinal axis of the car the switch will close when the car pitches forward or back depending on how you set it. You can also use several switches aligned in different directions that would give you random exhaust.

Jim