Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

HPI AAR Xuda body painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
croccodillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI AAR Xuda body painting

Hello all,

I'm new here.
I'm not new to R/C world, I already own a Tamiya Twin Detonator and a Clodbuster, both highly modified (I'm niot sure, actually, I can still call my car a Twin Detonator, just the shell is the stock one).
Now I won an used HPI Sprint 2 on ebay, it should arrive at my door in the next days.
This car will come complete with HPI Vintage wheels/tires (3815 and 3820 wheels, 4793 and 4797 tires), so I decided to buy a Vintage shell for it.
I choose the HPI AAR Cuda bodyshell, it should arrive next week.
Now, I have to decide on how to paint it.
I have no experience at all, my old bodyshell was made with Tamiya rattle can, plain color and without any mask/decoration, etc.
Now I would like to do something better.
First of all, is there any paint that replicate the chrome I can use for the bodyshell bumpers and other details (better would be tamiya)?
Next, how to make a black paint to look matte (The AAR Cuda has a mattte black hood and spoiler)?
Moreover, anybody knows which is the exact color HPI used for their orange and green examples on their website?
I really like the greem one.

Please post here any idea and work you have, or any link to whatever could help me.

Thank you in advance.

Ciao,
Giovanni
Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM
URit Racing

Default RE: HPI AAR Xuda body painting

Spaz stix makes the chrome paint www.spazstix.com , all the matal and front bumper are chrome (like a mirror)
[image][/img]
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 AM
croccodillo

Amazing job you done there, Norman.
Ys the Spaz Stix chrome is exactly what I was searching for; unfortunately it seems there's no cans nor bottle of it left in Europe, even the european distributor seems to be out of stock (as for most of the others Spaz Stix colours).
Of course, local hobby shops here never heard about Spaz Stix, so now I don't know how to obtain it.
My only alternative is to buy the colour in the US, but I'm scared about shipping costs and italian custom office.

Is there anybody here that knows a source in Europe for Spaz Stix colours?

Next: yesterday I received my HPI Sprint 2, which seems a really good car (not run it yet); while I was cleaning and checking it (it is used) I realized I could use my old HPI baja bug bodyshell (cracked and abused) and try to build a volksrod.

This is the result:

And this is a complete gallery:
[link=http://www.nanito.org/temp/volksrod_01/]Volksrod gallery[/link]

Of course this is only the first step; I have now to remove the old paint, paint it back with matt black (on the outside, I think), and find some pieces of plastic to fill the internal hood sides (I hope this is clear, I don't know how to explain in English).

The stock wheels and tires will be changed with HPI Vintage 5 spoke ones, the rear ones wider than stock (31 mm.).
This should help for the look.

This is only a joke, I will replace the bodyshell with something better in the future.
But for now, I'm quite happy I can use my old bug bodyshell I was not using anymore, cause it was badly cracked on the parts I cut away.

Question: Of course, I throw away the masking tape which came with the bug body, so now I don't know how to mask windows before to paint it again; Is there anybody here that has such a painting mask and that can send it to me by mail (a san copy)?
Thank you in advance.

Ciao,
Giovanni
Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM
URit Racing

There is another brand that is equally as good called "Alclad II " , check that out , maybe you'll have better luck finding that .