Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

REPORT ON HYDE MOUT FOR CDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM
amram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REPORT ON HYDE MOUT FOR CDI

Hello,
Few months back I have initiated a report and questions about vibrations on my Axiome 2x2 machine and Hyde mount.
Not like others vendors and Suppliers Mr. Merle Hyde read the report and immediately act.
He has sent me 3 new Hyde mount for testing. All 3 with limited Range.
Testing was done with the Aximoe and YS170CDI APC 19x11. Full is CP 30% Helli
LR#1: Rubber thinness is About 70% of the LR85. Results is good - better support then LR85 (Especially on Idle)
LR#2: Rubber thinness is About 40% of the LR85. Results is Excellent- Much better support then LR85 (Especially on Idle)
LR#3: Rubber thinness is About 10% more then the LR85. Results is not good – too much vibrations while support too soft (Especially on Idle)

Bottom line: LR#2 is by far better then all other solutions and it is also very light... about 92 grams.!!

I am very happy to have not best solution to my F3A ship. I also very happy from the support I got from Merle.
(To make it very clear I do not have any business relations with Merle - I am just one ordinary customer)
Thank you Merle!!!!!

See below message I got from Merle:

================================================== =======
Dear Amram,

Keith Jackson also really likes the LR#2 - in the future I will be calling it an MLR80 (i.e. M = Micro, L = Internal Limiters, "R" = requires use with a nose ring, and 80 = approximately 80% high RPM current drain reduction or 80% high RPM vibration reduction).

I realize some cannot accept some engine movement at low speeds. Of course my entire purpose has been to achieve exceptional high rpm vibration reduction. It is like Keith has said low speed engine movement shakes the plane around - but this is not the operating speeds that actually causes damage to servos, pots, gears, and etc.. Keith also is an engineer, he has sent me a graph that shows where he has done some high tech equipment testing. The graph shows that the High RPM vibration reduction of the LR 85 to actually be 90% at 6500 RPM when used with a YS170DZ with a APC 18.1 x ll propeller. Only 10% of the vibration is detected/recorded at the body/airframe - that tells me my rating information is very accurate - even understated - in fact the LR 85 could actually be called an LR 90. Many don't have even the slightest idea how to actually test for vibration - percentage of current drain reduction "CDR", and percentage of high RPM vibration reduction are the same numbers.......................................

When I started with the "single isolator" type soft mount over 26 years ago I immediately worked around the distraction of excessive engine movement at low speeds. I provided extra cowl clearances and developed exhaust attachment methods that would endure low speed conditions of shaking around. The dancing around on the ground at low speed is annoying - but I decided I could accept it. After the first 500 flights with the same servos, pots, gears, etc., and we still had the same airplane, I decided that little extra cowl cut out didn't look so bad after all. Then after 2500 flights with the same servos, pots, gears, linkage, etc., and airplane I concluded that little extra cowl cut out really looked fine. I never once considered not using one of my softer mounts because of what I considered to be minor value distractions - I simply wanted to protect our major investment - our airplanes were of far greater value to us than the cost of minor value items such as exhaust systems or headers - the extra cowl cut out never caused us to loose a contest because of any equipment failures - we never even lost an airplane due to equipment failures after I started soft mounting - oh yes we have had some mid-airs - but I have never been able to figure out how to develop a mount that will prevent a mid-aid - with my softer mounts I was extremely pleased to have a very quiet airplane and winning many contests. Other flyers started pleading with me to build them a soft mount that performed like my design, so that is what I am attempting to do now - it takes me 10 to 15 hours to build just one mount - I realize many do not like my prices - but there are many that have told me my mounts are worth every cent of what they paid for it - they simply tell me the benefit is impossible to place a value on - I guess some just do not understand the overall value of really extending major airborne equipment life 20 to 50 times - kinda hard to put a dollar value on that benefit early on or at time of mount purchase - but many can look back after years of service from an airplane equipped with one of my soft mounts and have "THANKED ME" many times.
I just received a note from a flyer a few days ago that says: Hi Merle, "Been using your mounts for at least 15 years. Never broke a header and unable to wear out an airplane"

I am not the internet type and do not see much point in me trying to refute those that have already made up there minds - I will keep doing what I can for as long as possible. The internal limiters have already proven to be in excellent condition even after 75-80 gallons of fuel - something like 1000 flights. One flyer here in the US had a mid air at the NATS this year and damaged one of the LR85 mounts - I was able to repair it - the internal limiter were still as new - even after 75-80 gallons of flying - he definitely likes the mount and has no problem with the low speed performance. Some other brand mounts use other methods of controlling low speeds - I have been told those other low speed controlling devices need much maintenance or frequent replacements.

Thank You.
Best Regards,
Merle

Merle Hyde
3 Golf View Dr.
Henderson, NV 89074
U.S.A.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 AM
cdodom

Default RE: REPORT ON HYDE MOUT FOR CDI

I had the pleasure of meeting Merle last winter in Las Vegas and you couldn't meet a nicer guy and is a true class act.

Mr. Hyde is a man that stands behind his product and is all about loyalty to the customer. He will do everything in his power to make sure each customer has the right product for their plane.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 AM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: REPORT ON HYDE MOUT FOR CDI

What Chris said 10x over. Merle is a class act.

gary