Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Harry Roe

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harry Roe

I just learned from Mike McConnville that Harry Roe passed away last week. Harry was a real mentor to me in my early days of learning pattern. He was the best coach I ever worked with and the things he taught me about engines are priceless.

For those who may not be familiar with Harry, he was a WWII P-47 and P-51 pilot. John Britt once built a scale model of Harry's P-51. He was then in the Guard for many years, flying F-84's and other early era jets. Harry had a lot of very interesting flying stories!

Harry was very involved in U/C speed. He worked a lot with Supertigre in developing their engines. I worked with Harry for a few years at World Engines. Maybe some of you will remember Ro-Go fuel. That was Harry. He worked for Emerson Electric for many years and he designed and they produced the Glo-Bee glow plug and a very popular glow driver. The things I learned from him are really too numerous to list. Harry was not a great R/C Pattern pilot, but he had the best eye as a coach I have ever known. His help was a big part of whatever success I have had in pattern. I can still hear him talking to me when I fly now.

I'm sorry to say these last years I really didn't keep in touch with him as well as I should have. I was going to try to see him this year during my Nats trip, but somehow it didn't happen. Now I really wish I had taken the time.

Take care Colonel!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 AM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Harry Roe

When I first got into pattern in the later 80's Harry was still flying. He really taught me a lot. I remember when they were going to go to all turnaround pattern he hated that idea. I can remember calling for him and his eyes weren't the greatest and he would ask if his wings were level because he could hardly see the plane. He used to talk about you quite a bit Tony. He will be missed.

Tim
Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 PM
VerneK

I'm really sorry to hear of Harry's passing. I was just asking someone a few weeks back if Harry was still around. As I recall, Harry got into gliders when he left pattern. When I first started competing in the 80's, Harry was one of the "old-timers" in Masters. This was back in the pre-turnaround era when each Masters pilot wrote their own schedule. I remember Harry and another great Masters pilot name Len Roe going nip and tuck at virtually every contest. I remember Harry as a gruff old guy on the exterior that actually had a heart of gold once you got to know him. It took a little while, but I felt like one of the guys when Harry started to acknowledge me at local contests around Michigan and Ohio. My biggest regret in going to turnaround is that we lost all those old guys in the process.

Len Roe passed a number of years ago and now Harry's gone too. If there's a life hereafter, I'd bet Harry and Len picked right back up where they left off!

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: TonyF

I just learned from Mike McConnville that Harry Roe passed away last week. Harry was a real mentor to me in my early days of learning pattern. He was the best coach I ever worked with and the things he taught me about engines are priceless.

For those who may not be familiar with Harry, he was a WWII P-47 and P-51 pilot. John Britt once built a scale model of Harry's P-51. He was then in the Guard for many years, flying F-84's and other early era jets. Harry had a lot of very interesting flying stories!

Harry was very involved in U/C speed. He worked a lot with Supertigre in developing their engines. I worked with Harry for a few years at World Engines. Maybe some of you will remember Ro-Go fuel. That was Harry. He worked for Emerson Electric for many years and he designed and they produced the Glo-Bee glow plug and a very popular glow driver. The things I learned from him are really too numerous to list. Harry was not a great R/C Pattern pilot, but he had the best eye as a coach I have ever known. His help was a big part of whatever success I have had in pattern. I can still hear him talking to me when I fly now.

I'm sorry to say these last years I really didn't keep in touch with him as well as I should have. I was going to try to see him this year during my Nats trip, but somehow it didn't happen. Now I really wish I had taken the time.

Take care Colonel!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Tom Miller

They had the F2C team selection meet at our field a couple weeks ago and someone mentioned Harry in relation to the Glo-Bee plugs. That caused some memories to come back.

Harry (and you Tony) taught me how to make those Supertigre X60's run! And how to remake props into something that would actually work! He is missed but leaves some great memories behind.

Tom
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's sad while I was never really close to Harry I will never forget him. His knowledge and advise was impressive and I listened to everyting he told me. I used a lot of his Ro-Go fuel.
Thanks, Tony for posting the news of his passing. You werefortunate to have been his friend andto have hada strong relationship with him. Mike Mueller
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
mradcliff
My Feedback: (3)

I to am saddened to hear of Harry's passing. When I worked for World Engines in the 70's I would see Harry around the shop and we flew contest together. I learned so much about  engines from Harry. I remember when he went to work for Emerson making the Glo Bee plugs. He asked me to try one and guaranteed me at least 200 more RPM. I put one in my OS .60 and sure enough 200 more RPM. I used them forever after that (still have some...he would give me handfuls all the time!) He also gave me the Fire Plug starter battery that you could vary the voltage to the plug (still have it). His RoGo fuel was way ahead of it's time with the use of synthetic oil. I never had an engine failure with his fuel.  Like Tony said he was an excellent pattern coach and told it like it was. I respected his opinion. I always enjoyed hearing his WW II airplane stories. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. God speed my friend.
Mark
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry's fuel, called Ro-Go, U-Con oil, clear as water. Harry and Craig Asher did a lot of Super Tigre work, I think that Asher was instrumental developing the ABC cylinder assembly's. Whatever happened to him ? He raced the Super Tiger G-65 ABC's in speed class UC. Mark, Alan Dupler still around ?

Vince V.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM
mradcliff

Hi Vince,
I don't know about Alan Dupler. I think of him often espically when I travel to Columbus and see the Newark exit which is close to where he lived I believe. I will try to find out and let you know.
Mark

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Harry's fuel, called Ro-Go, U-Con oil, clear as water. Harry and Craig Asher did a lot of Super Tigre work, I think that Asher was instrumental developing the ABC cylinder assembly's. Whatever happened to him ? He raced the Super Tiger G-65 ABC's in speed class UC. Mark, Alan Dupler still around ?

Vince V.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
crankpin

Thanks Mark. We used to meet at Slaters Hardware, I think Jim Slater. More later, going to get some sleep. You ever get to FL, stay here. There is a get together contest, right after Thanksgiving at the Apopka Tamgerine field, honoring Don Lowe.

Vince
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 PM
EddieDean

Hope it is OK to open this thread again. I just now found it. I had heard about Harry's passing from Mike McConville.. I first met Harry at the Mint Julep Pattern contest in the early 70's. I can still hear him holler that someone's engine running at the other end of the runway was bigger than a .61. And he was right! I'll never forget when my partner, Carol Reesor, took 1st Place in her class at the District Championships, Harry walked up and told her if she would move to Cincinnati he would make her a National Champion in two years. I took 1st in my class but he never made me that offer. LOL. Harry was always ready to help when one of the Green River Pattern People had a problem. He will be missed.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 AM
crankpin

Default Mint Julep - Rough River, Kentucky

Hi Eddie. Harry was good for everyone, always willing to help. He used to bring his "Uncon Oil" fuel to World Engines, we would sell it. If I remember right, it was clear as glass. Forgot all about the Mint Julep Meet, Rough River, Ky. I still have two or three of the silver plate trophys they gave to contestants. A lot of us were at these contests, I was flying class B pattern then, Phoenix V's. Picture here of those days, Mark, Alan Dupler included.
Vince
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DUPLER.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1960211  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 AM
EddieDean

Vince,
I remember those guys. That photo was most likely 1974/75 when the Mint Julep was a pattern, scale and pylon event. I was living in Lexington, KY at the time and Dave Brown and Don Lowe came to Lexington Model Airplane Club and gave us judges training for the event. I judge the first two years and entered my first Mint Julep in '76. I've got a few of those silver plates as well. The Mint Julep was always my first contest of the year.

Eddie Mattingly
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 AM
EddieDean

Vince,
On closer examination that photo looks more like Lancaster, OH with all the corn in the background. That has to be Dave in the center, I see the can in his hand. LOL.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 AM
crankpin

Correct. We would all meet at Jim Slaters Hardware in Lancaster. I don't know if it is all there at this time, that was over 40 years ago. Jerry Lucke would come down from Lima, Ohio, Mark Radcliffe and his dad, Dave and Sally, lot of time the kids, Dave with the Strohs. At Chardon, Ohio, one weekend, total rain all weekend. Didn't stop us, we would hold the planes under the wing forward of the LE at fuselage base, left hand wrapped around the fuse bottom, the right hand holding the fuse in front of the stab, gears retracted, full power, take three long fast steps in the mud, hand launch. I'm not sure if we made gear up landings. Dave had a VW bus for a while after Army discharge. He came to World with that bus. Later on, he bought a green and white Dodge van from one of the contest flyers, northern Ohio, forget his name, we would all pile in it, Harry Roe along, for the Rough River trip. I don't know how 5 or 6 of us piled in that van with planes, overnight bags, flight line gear, etc.
Vince
Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 AM
EddieDean

Photos of Harry at the Hebron, KY meet. Early '80's, I think.

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1960250   Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1960251   Click image for larger version

Name:	48.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1960252  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 AM
EddieDean

Don't remember the VW bus, but I believe I recall a green/white Dodge. Did he buy that from Ed Hoffman from Cleveland? The reason I remember the corn in Lancaster is because Carol was making the most beautiful landing and when it settled about 6 rows into the corn we were all dumbfounded. We all thought she was setup perfectly for a landing on the runway. Took 20 minutes to find it. LOL.
Vince, I feel like I should know you. If you don't mind, what is your last name?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM
crankpin

Sent you PM
Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM
TonyF

That's me with Harry in the middle pic. With the Challenge II airplane I'm getting ready to start that would make it 1985. Note the Variable Pitch prop in the front of it. I think the pic on the right is Harry holding Alan Dupler's Brushfire. Al built on with a single main gear and wing tip skids. That was when we were all trying to figure out the new Turnaround patterns.

The Mint Julep was always a great meet. What a beautiful sight to have it and a great Lodge to stay at.

I sure miss the time I spent with Harry. He taught me so much of what I know, especially about engines.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 AM
EddieDean

Hello Tony,

Yeah, that's you and Alan at Hebron. Carol took the photos. Here's some more of you. Looks like you took first that weekend. The last photo was at the Lebanon-Springfield Airport for the Green River Pattern People Contest.

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1960659   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1960660   Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1960661   Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1960662   Click image for larger version

Name:	77.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	1960663  
Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 AM
TonyF

Thanks so much for posting those pics. I have so few from that time. I was always too busy to take pictures! Just looking at the scoresheet brings back a lot of memories! I see Harry won Expert!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM
EddieDean

You are very welcome, Tony. Happy to do it. I have only scanned a small portion of the slides Carol took those years. As I scan more I'll forward any I think would be of interest to you. Also, I can email higher res photos if needed.

Last edited by EddieDean; 01-22-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
mradcliff

Hi Guys,
Neat photos. As Tony probably recalls I had "retired" from pattern during this time frame and was out of modeling for the most part nearly 20 years. I have since returned and even have tried my hand at pattern again with not near any of the success I once had however those score sheets from each class confirmed my thoughts and that is a typical contest in OH, IN, KY, etc. usually had over 30 flyers. Today we would kill for those numbers. It's too bad pattern isn't as popular today. Thanks for the memories!
Originally Posted by EddieDean
Hello Tony,

Yeah, that's you and Alan at Hebron. Carol took the photos. Here's some more of you. Looks like you took first that weekend. The last photo was at the Lebanon-Springfield Airport for the Green River Pattern People Contest.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM
EddieDean

Hello Mark,

That explains why I haven't found any slides of you yet. Did you ever attend the Mint Julep at Rough River, Kentucky in the 70's?

Eddie Mattingly
AMA 97146
Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 AM
mradcliff

Eddie,
Oh yes I was at the Mint Julep on several occasions. I believe in 73, 74 & 75. Also the facility was used for the Masters Tournament in 1975 where the US team was picked and I made the team by placing 3rd. Doug Early ran a lot of those events if I remember correctly. Fond memories.

Originally Posted by EddieDean
Hello Mark,

That explains why I haven't found any slides of you yet. Did you ever attend the Mint Julep at Rough River, Kentucky in the 70's?

Eddie Mattingly
AMA 97146
Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 AM
TonyF

The Kentucky Mint Julep site was also where the 1983 Team Trials were held, where I made my first team. What a coincidence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.