Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

R/C Aerobatics Contest Board Initital Vote

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

R/C Aerobatics Contest Board Initital Vote

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: R/C Aerobatics Contest Board Initital Vote

I think common sense should prevail, I know accidents happen, but if in the pit area waiting for your turn, if the batteries are not plugged in, then theres your arming plug.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You hear stories of glow engine starting by themselves with no glow source hooked up, I know it happens but know its rare, so are the glow guys suppose to take out the glow plug after every flight.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:31 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'd feel better if they removed the whole engine between rounds . . .
Never mind, the YS guys do that anyway . . .

Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM
jgg215

Brenner,

The sound check only works at the Nats and only for some classes. The local field, not just for contests, are where you expect to find most failsafe problems. Many of us have been asked to go over a new plane for someone prior to a maiden. I suggest we all include failsafe on your list of things to look for.

At a local contest it is very easy for the CD to assign an experienced flyer to the task of checking the failsafe function- some done on Friday, some during registration on Saturday. It is very quickly done until you find someone whose throttle failsafe is not working correctly. Then correcting the problem is more time comsuming and often educational. Often, once communication is established there will be other questions on trimming, other radio setup functions, etc. It is an opportunity to help folks better prepare a pattern plane and a teaching opportunity and to insure that the newbies know others are willing to nelp and get to know them.
The intention is not to disqualify anyone from flying, just make the contest safer. IF you actually run into someone who belligerently declines to have a model processed for failsafe operation, that is the only time I would consider disqualifying someone for safety violations. Alter all, the CDis responsible for running a safe contest and is well within his rights under current rules to chack that all aircraft are as safe as they can be and disqualify any model (or pilots) he considers unsafe.

John
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 PM
cmoulder

I know I'd feel better if they removed the whole engine between rounds . . .
Never mind, the YS guys do that anyway . . .
LOL!

Not much of an exaggeration, actually. This year upon arriving at the Nats one of the first experiences there was seeing a YS being rebuilt and the next morning seeing a YS being replaced before the first round in Advanced.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: klhoard

So do I gotta drill a hole in my plane for a stupid arming plug or not?

(...looking for 'like' button.)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

You hear stories of glow engine starting by themselves with no glow source hooked up, I know it happens but know its rare, so are the glow guys suppose to take out the glow plug after every flight.
My solution to this "electric arming plug - glow self starting" conundrum is to do neither....

CDIs must be armed to drive petrol engines; to me, itis simpler all the way around and has the safety features inherently built in.....
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jgg215

Chris,

I take it you have never seen a 3000 watt or equivalent 11 pound airplane at full throttle on the ground with the radio off. I hope you never do.

AMA is not addressing this problem, probably because they think of electric models as weighing less than one of our motors. One of our planes could kill.
At our spring contest, I checked failsafe operation and found that 40% did not have failsafe properly set. None were full throttle problems but in some cases that was just lucky.

Since the AMAis not going to take any action, I feel that it is up to us to ensure safe operation of our models. Once checked at a contest, they will also be safe at the club field during open flying. While we are, in general, some of the most experienced and knowledgeable flyers at our club fields, we are all capable of making stupid mistakes. I know I am.

John Gayer
Hi John,
I figured if it's in the safety code it pertains to all models. They are all bigger at the fun fly and IMAC, so I assume I don't want them to run away either!
Thanks for the note, though. I'm using an arming plug because electricity scares me.
Chris...