Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Sneaking in flights before/after work.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Sneaking in flights before/after work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sneaking in flights before/after work.

Hey all, just a bit of a question for you. Living on the other side of the world here, the sun is shining and the days are long, and I can sneak out of the house at around 6:30am at go for a practice before I go to work.

I've noticed that my brain isn't as sharp as it is at other times, and perhaps its psychological but I can get two ok flights in and then the third is horrible.

I am however, flying virtually back-to-back, which I wouldn't do on a weekend practice. There'd be people to talk to, engines to tune, someone to train etc. The thing is, when I'm at the field on my own, there's nothing else to do but fly.

Do you get out for a before / after work flight? Is there a limit to back-to-back flying before you're beating yourself with a stick for no gain?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM
wagen017

Default RE: Sneaking in flights before/after work.

It seems I need to recharge both my batteries and my brain between flights! :-) i now fly with one pack that I recharge with 5C, which takes about 12 minutes. That works ok for me. If I fly really concentrated I fly max 2 flights per hour.

When I flew some mindless 3D stickbanging i would fly none-stop. That does not work with pattern!

Volkert
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love day light saving in Adelaide, most of my practice occurs when my other half starts to watch "Neighbours" at 6:30pm.
I use to fly six times with my Angle 50, but over time found that four was my limit back to back.
Practice during the week allows me to get out on the weekend and do other things with the other half, unless there is a comp on of course :-) Promotes a heathy life balance!
Keep at the back to back flying, you will really make some in roads and make sure you start those early morning flights only after you have something to eat first.
Matt
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Rendegade

Heh, I envy you buggers over there with daylight saving, it was great here, I was still flying the pattern till 8:00.

As a matter of fact I think I'm the reason the club put in a curfew on flying. Wait, super quiet 1.40 rx? nahhh!

I'm tempted to try and get at least two flights in, then shuffle off to work. given the choice between 2 flights with a 6k crosswind and 3 with a 15K crosswind, i'll take two!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Even when I am alone I force as long of a break as I can; I fly horribly back-to-back (I fly bad enough as it is!) I usually only fly 3-4 flights when I am alone as sitting and waiting for nothing is torture.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I fly a lot after work. Charging, changing clothes and dinner provide some breaks. Occasionally, a buddy will show up for some company. This year started alternating flights between the pattern plane and heli. It is a fun distraction.

Definitely less productive than the weekends. Some nights five flights plus heli or foamy time and other nights maybe two productive flights and another trimming and practicing lines and rolls. I try to force at least a ten minute break between flights and if I can't concentrate then I go home. Knowing when to stop and not agonizing over low productivity is important.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Rendegade

Well, I managed to sneak down this morning for a few. I have to say that a different regime helped keep my head clear enough to do 3 decent flights.

1. Big breakfast and a good dose of fresh coffee to engage brain.

2. Get everything ready to go, including myself, so that I didn't have to worry about doing anything when I returned home, apart from unload the car.

3. Stretch, I've recently had problems with unbelievably tight hamstrings so a bit of stretching helped relieve the restless legs.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 AM
matt13

Well done Rendegade, I'm away from home due work at the moment and I miss being able to sneak out for some practice.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

Hey all, just a bit of a question for you. Living on the other side of the world here, the sun is shining and the days are long, and I can sneak out of the house at around 6:30am at go for a practice before I go to work.

I've noticed that my brain isn't as sharp as it is at other times, and perhaps its psychological but I can get two ok flights in and then the third is horrible.

I am however, flying virtually back-to-back, which I wouldn't do on a weekend practice. There'd be people to talk to, engines to tune, someone to train etc. The thing is, when I'm at the field on my own, there's nothing else to do but fly.

Do you get out for a before / after work flight? Is there a limit to back-to-back flying before you're beating yourself with a stick for no gain?

Mental gym could be as simple as figuring in your head stupid things like how tall (in meters) is a stack of pennies worth 1MM bucks. A penny is 1mm thick. Then converting that to feet or inches..There's all sorts of figgering you can do in your head to wake the brain up.

Good coffee definitely helps. My favorite is a couple shots espresso straight up..... I also find that the same espresso helps my joints; some type of analgesic effectin my opinion. I've passed this "finding" past the Clinical Affairs Director at work and Doc Luca thinks I'm nuts. But I think the effect of better joint function with loads of coffee is real and at some point will do the clinical study to prove it