Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

F13 dual camera video

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F13 dual camera video

Hey guys,

Chris Walker showed me a neat setup at the recent Bakersfield Pattern Bash. He mounts a camera on the plane for an aerial view and also uses an HD camera to capture the flight from the ground. Then he synchronizes the two and mixes them into one video. It's pretty neat! He asked me if we could do a video and I jumped at the chance. Chris will probably post some other videos he is doing using two cameras on the plane, one forward looking and one looking at the tail. The videos he showed me at the field with this format were really neat as well.

Anyway, being a geek myself, I thought this would be fun. So I elected to fly the FAI F13 sequence since that seemed like a more visually interesting pattern!!

Here's the link http://youtu.be/8LmCB-IQt0Y

He mounted the small 720p camera by taping a flexible plastic sheet with velcro onto the canopy and then just stuck the camera to the velcro.

I must say that watching this is a bit like walking into one of those TSA full body scanners.... Nothing is hidden! You can sure see when wings aren't level This is a neat training tool because it really gives a unique perspective.

Hope you enjoy it and I hope to do another one with Chris using his dual inflight camera setup in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94734.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1878895  
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F13 dual camera video

Cool video, great looking airplane, and nice flying! The video looks like a great training aid for seeing wings level, line, etc.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Silent-AV8R

THAT was freaking COOL!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

Really cool! Do you know where he got that camera for the plane?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM
n233w

Very nice. I recommend putting the camera facing the tail for more in-flight info:

A tail-facing camera recorded this flight.

Info on a much upgraded version of the camera I used is available here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627189

It's an amazing keychain camera, very inexpensive for what it does, IMO.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM
shannah

Actually,

Chris has a better approach, he showed me a video where he put a tail camera and a nose camera. When he mixes the video with the ground camera he manually switches between the two cameras depending upon the attitude of the plane. I hope to try that out in the future.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 PM
shannah

ORIGINAL: Derek.Koopowitz

Really cool! Do you know where he got that camera for the plane?

I don't know what the camera is. Hopefully Chris will chime in.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I have a nice new Episode looking at me. After watching that I want to buy it. That was really cool. Steve your a great pilot. Mike
Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 AM
shannah

Ha Ha,

Thanks Mike. Seriously, the F13 pattern and the Episode are a great match. I love that pattern. I think it is the perfect sequence. I will really be sad when it is replaced. Oddly enough, I have to work much harder flying P13 with the Episode than I do with F13. So, if you are flying F style patterns, or the K6 unknown maneuvers then the Episode is really a great machine. But, be prepared to work on the setup more than with the Prolog or Nuance. Those are turnkey airplanes for the most part. The Episode takes more work to get it dialed in to your personal tastes. But, I wouldn't trade mine for anything else at this point.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Funny that you mention the sequence as being special. I feel the same way about the current AMA Masters sequence. It has a nice flow to it.
I've been impressed with BJ Craft planes since I got the first plane (Nuance) Chris brought in in 2011.
Recently I've been flying the Xtreme Griffin. It's almost a perfect math for my style. It's very close to the Prolog with a little easier to do snap roll.
We have had an issue with the wings on a few of the new ones that will be resolved very soon.
All in all we have never had so many nice planes available at a fairly resonable price.
Mike
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

http://youtu.be/BjkWWr0ZJKM

yeah... maybe you can fool a judge... but fooling the camera is hard!! lol