Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Could a BTE Venture be used as a beginning pattern plane?

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Could a BTE Venture be used as a beginning pattern plane?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a BTE Venture be used as a beginning pattern plane?

A fellow club member has been getting me interested in pattern flying. I have a Big Stick 40 that I have been practicing some basic manovers. I can see myself improving. I am just starting a new build of a BTE Venture. This is a beautiful kit. At the time I purchased the kit, I had no thought in pattern flying. Would this plane work for a beginning pattern plane? And if so, are there some modifications that I might want to consider, like wing shortening? Also what size four stroke engine would be best for pattern flying? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Lamar
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Rendegade

The venture is a pretty kit, but I do notice it has what looks like a flat bottom wing. Great for upright flight, but not so great for inverted flight.

If it were me I'd build it as it is, fly it and enjoy it, and snoop around to see if anyone has a pattern plane they're willing to part with cheap
Old 10-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Strat2003

I would say yes, it can be used as a beginning Pattern plane. The pics I saw seem to show a semi-symetrical wing. The Sportsman pattern has very little in the way of inverted flight, just the double immelman without rolls and a brief inverted period in the two point roll.
Sportsman is mostly about getting the feel of pattern flying and finding out if you like flying in front of judges.
Give it a try, you can always find a new airplane if you decide to move to Intermediate.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Hokie Flyer

Last edited by Hokie Flyer; 10-25-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM
lamarkeiko

Thanks for the replys back. The Venture does have semi-symetrical wings, and the plane is very similar to a 4 Star 60. Bruce Tharp, who designed this plane, also designed the Sig 4 Star planes. I believed he made the Venture to be an improved 4 Star. It has 72" main wings, and I believe many builders shorten the wings 1 rib bay to give it a final WS of 66". This is suppose to improve the roll rate and keep it from floating so much in landing. Would this be advantages to pattern flying, or should I keep the WS as designed?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 AM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

I'd suggest building it as designed, and after flying it, you dont like the way it flies it's easier to remove the tips than it is to add them.