Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Is it allowed to vary servo speed through transmitter in FAI?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Is it allowed to vary servo speed through transmitter in FAI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:11 PM
MV99
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it allowed to vary servo speed through transmitter in FAI?

I have been wondering if changing servo speed through transmitter permitted in pattern flying? I use Futaba transmitter and there is a servo speed in/out number input for speed change. I have programmed an almost switch-less (only one is a safety snap switch) configuration among 7-8 fly conditions. To enter/exit conditions all by sticks, I initially used this function to smooth out the jump among all my dual rates. Later I found some other useful places to apply this speed setting tool.

Is it allowed like other computerizing tool such as mixing? Hope someone can help me out on this one. Thanks a lot

Mitch
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Section 5.1.2

j) Radio equipment shall be of the open loop type (ie no electronic feedback from the model aircraft to the ground except for the stipulations in Volume ABR B.11.2). Auto-pilot control utilising inertia, gravity or any type of terrestrial reference is prohibited. Automatic control sequencing (pre-programming) or automatic control timing devices are prohibited.

Example:
Permitted:
1. Control rate devices that are manually switched by the pilot.
2. Any type of button or lever, switch, or dial control that is initiated or activated and terminated by the competitor.
3. Manually operated switches or programmable options to couple and mix control functions.
Not permitted:
1. Snap roll buttons with automatic timing mode.
2. Pre-programming devices to automatically perform a series of commands.
3. Auto-pilots or gyros for automatic wing levelling or other stabilisation of the model aircraft.
4. Automatic flight path guidance.
5. Propeller pitch change with automatic timing mode.
6. Any type of voice recognition system.
7. Conditions, switches, throttle curves, or any other mechanical or electronic device that will prevent or limit sound level of the propulsion device during the sound/noise test.
8. Any type of learning function involving manoeuvre to manoeuvre or flight to flight analysis.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
MV99

Originally Posted by smcharg
Section 5.1.2

j) Radio equipment shall be of the open loop type (ie no electronic feedback from the model aircraft to the ground except for the stipulations in Volume ABR B.11.2). Auto-pilot control utilising inertia, gravity or any type of terrestrial reference is prohibited. Automatic control sequencing (pre-programming) or automatic control timing devices are prohibited.

Example:
Permitted:
1. Control rate devices that are manually switched by the pilot.
2. Any type of button or lever, switch, or dial control that is initiated or activated and terminated by the competitor.
3. Manually operated switches or programmable options to couple and mix control functions.
Not permitted:
1. Snap roll buttons with automatic timing mode.
2. Pre-programming devices to automatically perform a series of commands.
3. Auto-pilots or gyros for automatic wing levelling or other stabilisation of the model aircraft.
4. Automatic flight path guidance.
5. Propeller pitch change with automatic timing mode.
6. Any type of voice recognition system.
7. Conditions, switches, throttle curves, or any other mechanical or electronic device that will prevent or limit sound level of the propulsion device during the sound/noise test.
8. Any type of learning function involving manoeuvre to manoeuvre or flight to flight analysis.
Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Now I understand it is not a simple yes/no answer to my question. If we look at mixing function. Isn't it some kind of automatic control sequencing?

I appreciate you put in lots of efforts to give me some examples so it is now easier for me to provide couple of scenarios where I would like to know if I am using the speed control in a right way:

Two examples in my switch-less configuration:

A). I have a condition for stall turn control surface rate. Controlling switches are low idle or full rudder to initiate that condition. My question is that am I allowed to have a slightly slower servo speed on rudder coming back to center.

B). I have condition for making plane for sure completely stall before spin initiated. In that condition, I have a highest elevator rate among all condition and it only happens in that very short moment (meanwhile, coupled with 100% stopped prop only at that moment). My question is that am I allowed to have somewhat slower servo speed when elevator approaching to the full deflection?

These are two of several places I found servo speed control a great tool and hope this does not count as auto pilot because my control sticks will be moving all the time by my command to enter/exit conditions and flying the plane as well.

Thank you and hope you can guide me a bit more by reviewing my two examples.

Mitch

Last edited by MV99; 11-19-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitch,

Servo speed change is permitted as it is part of the setup functions. What Automatic control sequencing is for example, it was directly oriented many years ago when the first computer radios came out, and a specific team used timing sequences for snap roll, for example, push a switch and it really did not matter when you let go, it will activate and deactivate in a specific time period, I have to say, this is the way I was told the story from a radio manufacturer rep, form the company that did that.

In your example A, yes, and that is how I have it set up myself.

In B, yes you can.

On both cases, you are changing the speed only, those are not sequencing at all.

Of course my interpretation of the rules, and on the World Championships never got any issues on check up.

Best regards

Alejandro
Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM
MV99

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you very much for the input. It is great to know this feature is allowed during your World Championship. I will continue using this good tool.

Happy flying,

Mitch