Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Vanquish or Sequence

Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Malapp1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanquish or Sequence

Hello all,

This will be my first year flying pattern after a 20 year lay off. I am trying to figure out the best bet for an airplane that will allow me to effectively compete in the Sportsman category at least initially. Since I am still a little nervous with the controls, I am reluctant to want to put $2,000 + dollars in a airplane. I fly the Sebart Miss Wind now but it is a little small and hard to see when you start getting a good line.

I/ve noticed that the Vanquish and Sequence are very reasonable in price and wonder if you guys have some input as to which would be the best to at least start the season with. I live in South Florida so I do have the weather and some time to practice with any of them. All thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 AM
bdawg50

Vanquish... Awesome plane for the money.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 AM
4ptrol

How far down in south Florida are you? I live in Lake Placid and I am your District 3 NSRCA Rep. If you need any help let me know. Perhaps once you get your plane flying we can get together for some flying. Our local field supports pattern with no problems. I will say the Vanquish has been out for sometime while the Sequence is a recent addition.

Larry Kauffman
D3 NSRCA VP
Old 01-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

After flying the Vanquish in Sportsman 2013 and Intermediate most all last year, I don't think there's a plane with better value in starting out. A Himax motor takes 5min to bolt in and works great. Set up right with a good ESC and pattern servos, you'll be good for many hundreds of flights.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:50 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I would go with the Vanquish. Great flying plane. The Sequence is nice, but is a little smaller and setup more for 8S. Vanquish is hard to beat.

Arch
Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Smooth Pilot

Definitely a Vanquish. I competed for the first time in Sportsman in 2014 and thanks to my series (don't ask LOL) of Vanquish planes I was designated District Champion in Sportsman (District 6). I plan on using a Vanquish as my primary plane in Intermediate this year. Great flyer.

Sheldon

PS. Hi Jeff, hope to see you again this year. Good luck.

Last edited by Smooth Pilot; 01-08-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: format
Old 01-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Jeff Worsham

Hi Sheldon- Congratulations on your Championship! Looks like it was close one- good job. Yes sir, I'm hoping to make it back over your way again this year. And you're always welcome to come fly a contest with us in Albuquerque- May 15,16 and mid-September.

Last edited by Jeff Worsham; 01-08-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Malapp1

Hi Larry, I live in Miami and fly at Markum Park in Sunrise. I'd love to get together with you. Seems like pattern flying has lost its appeal to all the 3D stuff.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Malapp1

sounds like I am getting a Vanquish!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Smooth Pilot

Originally Posted by Jeff Worsham View Post
Hi Sheldon- Congratulations on your Championship! Looks like it was close one- good job. Yes sir, I'm hoping to make it back over your way again this year. And you're always welcome to come fly a contest with us in Albuquerque- May 15,16 and mid-September.
It seems like the date of your contests conflicts with the others that are scheduled a little closer to home. I live in Sugar Land, Tx. and it is at least a two day drive to Albuquerque for me. Not getting any younger you know. Any way I would like to get over there some day as I used to live there when I was real young on Central Avenue way out on the west end north of the zoo.

Brian had to invoke the tie breaker clause for me to win the championship. I wished that both Lynn and I could have shared the honor.

Later,

Sheldon
Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Smooth Pilot

Malapp, you can't go wrong with a Vanquish.

Sheldon
Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vanquish, come on up to Central Fl, Malapp 1 there a few of us that fly pattern in the Ocala, Orlando area, and there is a contest March 28 and 29 in Apopka, you should join us for the fun
Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM
nosram

I would second the Vanquish vote! Its an awesome plane for the money. I had a lot of success with mine last season. I shall be building another one, just as soon as they get some yellow ones in stock. Unfortunately I missed the window of opportunity just before the holidays....

Hi Jeff, I enjoyed flying with you last year. I look forward to flying against you again this year I'm hoping for a different result though..lol.
Hi also to Sheldon, thank you for the heads up regarding the rewards program.

Nick Marson
Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Smooth Pilot

Watch out Nick. I am competing in Intermediate this year. Hope to give you a run for your money, if we get some decent weather to practice this year. See you at the contests.

Sheldon
Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
pvogel

Vanquish is a great plane! I've "graduated" to some composite planes now but still have two Vanquishes in my garage for budding Sportsman pilots to learn on. Loaned one to Derek Emmett here in D7 last fall and he competed in Advanced after a 20 year hiatus, giving Jon Bruml a run for his money!

Peter+
Old 01-16-2015, 02:20 PM
nosram

Sheldon, that is very cool. If Jeff is still in intermediate it should be a very interesting year.
Good Luck to everyone..........

Nick Marson
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Jeff Worsham

Originally Posted by nosram View Post
Hi Jeff, I enjoyed flying with you last year. I look forward to flying against you again this year I'm hoping for a different result though..lol.
Hi also to Sheldon, thank you for the heads up regarding the rewards program.

Nick Marson
Hello Nick, Yes sir- that was fun! Those rounds we flew were definitely a highlight for me last year. And now you're coming back with a new plane and you guys are getting all pumped up- I better up my game! Glad Sheldon is moving up, I'm hoping Lynn and a couple others will as well. INT in D6 is the place to be- we're going to have great fun this year!

Jeff
Old 01-16-2015, 08:39 PM
nosram

Jeff Hi, I do need a new plane...... my last one ended up in a flooded rice field at the Cajun Nats..........Ouch
Its most likely in a landfill over there,

Nick
Old 01-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Smooth Pilot

Hi Jeff and Nick. Looking forward to seeing you both and hope I can keep up with you all. Fun for all.

Sheldon
Old 01-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Jeff Worsham

I do hope Malapp1 has gotten the info he needs to make a decision because we've unfortunately completely hi-jacked his thread. Sincere apologies sir! If any more input on Vanquish vs Sequence, someone please post.

Nick and Sheldon- are you guys (and who else?) planning to attend the Gulf Coast Pattern Champs in Sulphur, LA? April 18-19.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Smooth Pilot

Originally Posted by Jeff Worsham View Post
I do hope Malapp1 has gotten the info he needs to make a decision because we've unfortunately completely hi-jacked his thread. Sincere apologies sir! If any more input on Vanquish vs Sequence, someone please post.

Nick and Sheldon- are you guys (and who else?) planning to attend the Gulf Coast Pattern Champs in Sulphur, LA? April 18-19.

Jeff
My apologies also, Malapp1. You better believe I will be there if I still have any airplanes to fly. By the way, I forgot to mention Tom Youens is moving up also. He is the guy that won Sportsman at the College Station contest where I had my mid-air with Charlie "Killer" Barrera.

Later all,
Sheldon
Old 01-18-2015, 08:32 PM
nosram

My turn to apologize Malapp1!!
I shall be at Sulphur guys. Right now I do not have a pattern plane, but one is very close to being finished.
Good luck to us all, and Sheldon I was judging you when you had a mid-air with Charlie.........
Nick Marson