Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

venus 40 GP and OS 52 Surpass

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default venus 40 GP and OS 52 Surpass

Hello,

i've just ordered a GP Venus 40 and I don't know what motor I would mount on it. I have an OS 52 Surpass and an OS 46 FX, but I don't know which one I'll use. The 52 sounds better but is it enough powerfull?

Could someone help me for this choise?

Thanks

Yannick
Old 03-08-2004, 09:23 AM
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: venus 40 GP and OS 52 Surpass

I set up my Venus originally with a YS 53, and had decent power on 20% nitro, no problems with verticals. When I increased to 30% nitro, the verticals got even better. The 53 then developed a problem, and I replaced it with a YS 63, which I consider just about perfect for this plane. With this engine the plane is capable of vertical snap rolls.

The OS 52 I would say is probably marginal for power, maybe adequate, but just adequate (and heavier, I believe, compared to the YS). Between your two choices, I would favor the 46FX. If you mount the two-stroke inverted, you'll need to open up the tank compartment and move the plywood horizontal piece to get the tank lined up with the carburetor. Probably you'd do better to side-mount the two-stroke.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Yannick, I fly my Hanger 9 Aresti with an OS 52 and it flies well. The vertical isn't endless but it's adequate. If you like the 4 stroke better then try it you can always awitch it later with a larger one.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:13 PM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Venus will fly with either engine but will not have the performance you will
want. I have one with a SuperTigre 60 in it and it needs this much power to
perform well.

tommy s
Old 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM

I have a .50 sx on mine and it's more than enough. I'd go with the .46FX - don't worry about moving the tank. My .50sx runs just fine in it inverted and doesn't even require a clamp to shut off fuel to the carb during fueling etc.. It siphoned a tad when new but after being run a gallon and gradually leaning it out it doesn't siphon anymore
Old 03-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Hi,

A buddy of mine has a Venus with an Irvine 46 and its plenty of power for most maneuvers although
not unlimited vertical.

I would recomend that use use the 2 stroke as the 52 would be no where near sufficiently powered
in comparison.

If you want to go the four stroke route then get an OS 70 surpass. I have a H9 aresti (sim size to the
Venus) with the 70 and its a great match for it.

Si.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 PM

I'd say that the 52 wouldn't have enough power to put a smile on your face.

I installed a 46 a 50 and then a 61 in mine, and HOOOO BOY the 61 was the best fun I'd had with an airplane in about 5 years.

Knife edge figure M's anyone?