Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My new ZN Supremes'

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:48 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My new ZN Supremes'

Well guys as always I reserve judgment until I use the product. As of now I have over 100 flights on the first model with the second one on its way.

The conclusion is the design is a very very good one. I won't get to much into the flying of the model but I have some pics of the construction and the way I have done some things. This is by no means the only way to do things...But it works for me.

These kits were imported to the USA by Central Hobbies www.centralhobbies.com
I must say they are not the cheapest priced kits, but they are the most accurate and best quality kits on the market today. I have built many kits and the ZN line stuff has the absolute best composite work I have ever seen.

Entire fuse, canopy frame, and belly pan all together is like 26oz when you get it. And its already white, with very little work needed on the seam to get ready for paint.

Data:

ZN Line Supreme, Designed by ZN and Marco Benincasa
YS 160 Dingo
Cool Power 30% Heli Pro fuel
NMP new High performance DZ Header, and ES Designs DZ pipe
Radio Gear all JR Propo
Ailerons 9411SA's
Elevator 8411SA
Rudder 8611
Throttle 3421SA
All Hardware is MK, and Central Hobbies CF pushrods with Titanium ends.
Paint is PPG Concept (DCC) and Base Coat (DBC) Combo
Wings and tail covered with H9 Ultracote

Weight 10lbs 2.6oz new

Here is a picture of the completed and flying model. Then I'll go through some of the building items. I took lots of pictures while building the models.

If y'all have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

I hope you enjoy a look at my new models
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55064.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	140376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70230.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	140377  
Old 06-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Troy Newman

Default RE: My new ZN Supremes'

The build:

The original prototype had a stab location that was too low. This caused some unwanted coupling. Also as documented in another couple posts the shape of the rudder itself changed. I can say that my model has very little to no coupling. Currently there is 1% up elevator on right rudder and 3% up elevator on left rudder. Also there is 3% roll mix on each rudder. This is for 30-35degs of travel. So the new location is spot on

Here is a pic of how I layout the stab centerline. If you look down and to the left on the fin you will see the original location on the fuse. The new mark is when I have the height gauge and the centerline drawn.

Also shown is the stab install. I have the horizontal former and stab tube installed.

Now I prefer a stab tube socket in the fuse. But many people make a custom socket. What you do is wax you stab tube heavily and then use a little glass cloth and some thick epoxy mixed with micro balloons to encase the tube. Once the epoxy is dry twist the tube out. Another way is to just glue the tube in the fuse. This works very well with the CF tubes. I have used the Gator stab adjuster sets. Also seen are the gator wing adjusters inside the fuse. Adjusters or pins are fine.

Sorry for the bad lighting in a couple of the pics....

Name:	Ki18409.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	140381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95865.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	140382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28680.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	140383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20580.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	140384  
Old 06-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Troy Newman

I'll post more in the next few days as I get to it. This model has some unique air inlets and exit holes. 1/64ply is used to cover the channels to allow air exit. These ply covers are very light weight. I put them both on the scale before I glued them in and 6grams for the ply covers...So its not much weight and its a cool idea, that makes the model look unique. Below are the paper templates I used to cut the 1/64th ply covers.

Also some of the gear plate and radio area.

Name:	Gd93680.jpg
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	140386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86430.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	140387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41152.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	140388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56427.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	140389  
Old 06-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Troy Newman

Radio install:

Name:	Vt56776.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	140390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74975.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	140391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77502.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	140392  
Old 06-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Johny B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Troy,

Congratulations for your plane.It's very nice.
I build now my first pattern and I have a question for you.
What is the dimensions for wing adjusters :diameter for pin and for the screw that is holding it ?

Thank you,
John
Old 06-07-2004, 02:48 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Beautiful Model, Troy!
How does it compare to the SYnergy and the Smaragd in flight performance?
Thanks,
Will B.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:12 PM
AC Glenn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey troy can you build me one
Old 06-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Troy Newman

John,

The Gator RC wing adjusters are just sold over the counter. They come with all the mounting hardware and also phenolic sockets that go into the wing panels to receive the adjuster pins. The adjuster pin diameter is 0.23". Mounting hardware is 4-40. I replace the small 4-40 hex nuts with self lock nylon filled nuts.

Will,

The Smaragd is a really great model. I have flown 2 of them and the current one I have probably has well over 2000 flights if not more on it. I have been flying it since 2001...So this would be the 4 season its been in operation. Its like a old shoe and it fits me very well. The model is still flying great and is as capable as anything out today. That being said I have "retired" the Smaragd in favor of the Supreme. The wing layout is very similar between the 2 models. I think the Supreme has some very good improvements over the Smaragd. Although the fuse is very large it doesn't have that really wide nose that eats power in the wind. Right now I can say the Supreme does everything as well as the Smaragd and in some areas I think its better. At this level of model its tough to say that one is better....they are very much in the same class. As for the Synergy, I have only spent very limited time with one. It again is a very very good model. And as it has won the last 2 World Championships, I feel it is another good option.

My goal is to take the absolutely best model I can to the US NATS/Team Selection this year. The Supreme is an excellent model and with hard work and a little luck I hope to make the US Team. The competition is going to be a very good one this year, There are many great pilots competing for this honor.

AC,

Sorry man, I just don't have time to be building for others.

Troy
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
AC Glenn
My Feedback: (2)

thats kool troy i was just playing anyway how is that header working for you
Old 06-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Troy Newman

Cooling.....air inlets and outlets:

Name:	Sq45802.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	141080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89001.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	141081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69543.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	141082  
Old 06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Troy,
Your work is impecable. You have made things very clean and professional and your cutouts have nice style also around the nose and chin. Great work and best of luck in the season. We will be pulling for you over here.

Mark
Old 06-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Rcaerosport

Troy, could you describe the plumbing system that you are using on the 160DZ? 3 fuel dots? Thanks, Derek
Old 06-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Troy Newman

Actually Derek its not 3 dots...There are 3 holes. Below is a picture of what I use for a fuel tank system. This works extremely well. No magic parts, or voodoo involved..Just a simple straight forward setup.

Name:	Om33044.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	141146  
Old 06-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Rcaerosport

Ahh.. thanks for the enlightenment Troy!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:49 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

What type of glue are you using to glue the firewall , formers , etc in the fuselage ?

tommy s
Old 06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Troy Newman

Tommy S,

I use epoxy to glue the firewall, gear plate and all into the composite fuses. A quick scratch with some 100 grit paper and it sticks great.

Specifically, I now use a Loctite product called Hysol epoxy. Its used by the body shop guys I guess. This stuff is marketed by BVM Jets as Aeropoxy. Art's Hobby also sells this stuff as package deal too.

It is some really good stuff. Thick so it doesn't run and sag. Also it shoots from a gun pre-mixed. There are different tips you can use to reach inside and also you can clip the ends of the tips to get the desired bead diameter. Its a little more expensive than buying a pack of 30min epoxy...but it allows you to stick the glue right where you want it. Result less glue used, and you don't have the waste in the bottom of the cup. So I think after you buy the gun and the tips the epoxy is about a wash in terms of cost.

You can save tips for a while in the freezer....I just tried one for about 2 weeks and it didn't save...but I have done it for a few days and it works fine.

I was very cautious about using this stuff. I spent some time with Tony F. building a model in his shop....After using it in his shop....I had to buy my own stuff.

This is the best epoxy product I have ever used.

Troy Newman
Old 06-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Magne

Troy,
Could you please tell me how wide the fuselage is, both at the widest point of the fuselage itself, which seems to be around the attachment point of the undercarriage, as well as of the width of the cowling side cheeks. Also, how deep is the fuselage at the highest point?
Thank you.
Magne
Old 06-11-2004, 07:23 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Great looking airplane , good luck at the Nats.

tommy s
Old 06-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Troy Newman

Magne,

the model is 6in wide at the gear plate and about 6.5" across the nose. Actually this model compared to the Smaragd-Laz-Partner line of models is actually a little narrow compared. But here is what I have found. The model penetrates in the extreme wind conditions very well. I think its better in this aspect than my Smaragd. The Smaragd in heavy winds can be a quite power hungry airframe. The Supreme is better in this aspect.

This model really flies well on its side. The rolling loops and Rolling circles are a strong point on this model. The fuse is very tall. The max height is about 13.5" at the peak of the canopy.

Hope this helps you out

Troy Newman
Old 06-12-2004, 08:26 AM
robhoneycutt

troy,

It looks fantastic!

You should E-power your 2nd one!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Adamg-RCU

I would take a 160DZ over electric without hesitation.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Troy Newman

Well the NATS is completed, I have finally gotten some sleep and I wanted to post some of the latest pics of my Supreme models. 1955 miles from Tempe to Muncie.

These models performed flawless at the US NATS/TEAM Trials and I could not be happier with them. The competition was very tough and the pilots all performed well. My hat is off to the TEAM, Quqiue and Don Szczur. My flying was much better this year than last and I know these guys all stepped it up as well. I am honored to be flying at this level with such talented pilots. There are lots of really good pilots that are competing for the USA TEAM and to have placed 5th 2 years in a row, I am truly blessed. I could not have done it without the help of these 2 models.

Overall I'm thrilled with the results, Considering that in the prelims at the last worlds....I just flew against 4 of the top 5 pilots in the WORLD and place 6th overall....I'm very excited about the way my models performed. This is truly a world class model. Now, I don't have to build anything....The past year has been a busy one building. I have build 4-5 models in the last year.

The good news is that my models worked like a swiss watch all week long. I didn't have to touch anything. Adjusted a needle valve on the 1st day of practice and that is the way everything ran all week. I just charged them up and took them to the flight line. On Wed Night before the finals I pulled the canopies off to make sure everything was still OK...and just like the 300 flights before everything was in the right spot and working perfectly.

Well below are some pictures taken at the NATS of the 2 models together....They fly as identical as I could ask for. And I must say to toot my own horn a bit they fly as good as they look. This is my first time at having 2 identical models. Many people commented on the models as they were the only Supremes at the NATS. They present very well and track well as anything I have ever flown. This design is as good as any out there, and I feel it has some attributes that make it better than most.

The #1 model is a little heavier now after some weight added to the nose for CG of my choosing...Its right below 10.5lbs (10lbs 6.5oz to be exact), and the #2 model is 10lbs 2oz as of last night. I was not sure of its final weight before we left for Muncie. I made some changes in the install of equipment to eliminate some extra weight and shift the equipment a little forward to eliminate the extra ballast for CG. Both are outrageously powered with the DZ 160.

The #1 model was lucky enough to live through a mid-air on about June 15th...Lost everything out past about 10" on the left wing panel including the aileron and servo. Other than that, really not any damage to speak.

I built a new left wing panel and the result was 2 clicks of aileron trim and the model flew the same as before. THANKS ZN for making such and accurate kit. I was concerned about needing to build both sides to make sure the dihedral and all the little things matched up....but NO NEED. They did a great job in insuring accuracy in their product. This is main reason to fly these models from ZN....They are very accurate, and the quality of the kits is unmatched, for precision and workmanship. After some trim changes on the #1 model from the way it came off the boards I setup the #2 the same way and it flies the same....rates, CG everything is the same.

I think these models are definitely up there in terms of the best in the world.

Oh and I have to give credit to my #1 Sponsor in all of this. My Wife Jenny put up with me over the last 3-4 months flying, building and fussing over the trim of my models.

Enjoy the pics

Name:	Nl31131.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	158960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69776.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	158961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16007.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	158962  
Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Great looking airplanes, Troy. Outstanding performance at the Nats. Keep practicing - cracking the top 3 is not impossible - just a BIG challenge!
-Will B.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:05 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Troy,

Looks like the second one came out as beautiful as the first! May have to take out another mortgage and get a couple of those. Was real impressive in Fresno, and obviously didn't let you down in Muncie!

Congrats on the Nats, and thanks for all your help. My 140 is gettin' there...

Tom
Old 07-30-2004, 11:08 PM
TeamVertical
My Feedback: (9)

Excellent job in Muncie!!!! I wish I could have made it there, maybe next year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.