Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Excelleron 90

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:59 AM
sheetsg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Excelleron 90

Bob,

I ordered my Excelleron, expected delivery is next week. Like you, it is hard to argue the cheap power cost of a ST2300. The extra wing loading seems minimial. Looking at this option, I see the extra weight forward (i.e. ST2300) and extra weight (as you said move the battery to the tail) would increase the yaw moment (mass)? My question to you, as I'm not more than a Tiger II pattern want-a-be, would this be a problem for spins (i.e. extra mass means harder to start spin and harder to stop spin)?

Greg.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Bob,

Two quick questions, and I may have just missed the answers already,

1. What servos did you use?

2. Is that the stock control horn hardware in your pics of the rudder and elevator?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 12-16-2004, 08:16 AM
stevemangum

I have been waiting for these to go on sale again for $199 and it just happened. Get to hobbypeople and order for $199, well $208 with shipping. That is a heck of a deal for this plane.

steve
Old 12-16-2004, 08:19 AM
kennyandannie

That's the plan, if I can figure out a way to call it my Christmas present.

No, that's ok honey, please don't get me anything for Christmas, I'm all set, I have everything I want!

Ken
Old 12-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

If you do a canister exhaust, or even a muffler, but get it back under the wing (that's what I'm doing) the actual NOSE moment arm won't be outside design parameters that they state, because the ST2300 isn't more than the YS 110 with muffler. Or at least it's pretty close. I won't be concerned about that, and was a bit tongue in cheek about battery in the tail. It may have to go to the rear of the wing area or soemthing, but I doubt much more than that.

Regards the servos/hardware....yes on the "stock hardware". It's not too bad, really, but the angle does put things in a bit of a bind on the elevator pull-pull (see other info about "Ackerman in Pull-pull"). The solution is the DuBro extended control take offs so that the clevis attach point is over the hinge line. That's probably what I'll do on both, now that more non-flying time is upon us.

Servos - I have JR 8231's on Ailerons and elevator, and JR8411SA on the rudder. Was using a Hitec HS 55 on throttle, but since I need more tail weight, I'm installing a standard JR something (probably a 4131 I've got laying around) in the designed throttle servo location.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
kennyandannie

Thanks Bob,

I have used the Dubro Pull Pull on other planes, for the rudder, namely my Quest.
I'll probably go with the setup you recommend.

Ken
Old 12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
sheetsg

Bob,

Your web page is a big help, lots of photos and diagrams. Could I ask that you provide one more <grin>, how are you thinking about adding a canister to the ST2300? When you say under the wing, do you mean under the belly or offset to the side of the fuselage but under the wing?

Greg.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Bob Pastorello

I should have the motor this weekend, and header probably over Christmas. KS (Krumscheid) canister is what I'll be using and I will cut away the existing bottom of the belly pan over the wing, installing the muffler mount to the wing. There will not be a bottom to the belly pan, but I'll leave the sides intact to maintain the side area. Imagine an open bottom tunnel from the front of the wing to the trailing edge.

I will be doing a web page on my site with detail photos and information as I proceed.....and I'll post here as it goes, too.

Thanks for the compliments! I enjoy the web stuff.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:39 AM
sheetsg

Bob,

Thanks, I look forward to further details. But, in the mean time, I think I understand what your going to attempt (even without "my" airplane here yet - hope Santa does not get lost).

Greg.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 AM
olddogg60
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Bob,
I have just started working on pattern flying with a Javelin II. What do you think of the Excelleron 90 as a next step after the Javelin? I thought that at this price and the high opinions of this plane that I ought to get one and set it aside for my next plane. I have a TT 120RP NIB that I got for a good price and I was thinking of using that engine for the Excelleron 90. Would using a pipe be a big problem on the Excelleron 90 and do you know of a good source for a header and pipe for the TT120RP? If this is not a good idea what would be a choice for a pattern aircraft for the TT120RP?
Thank you for your help and your input.

Best regards,
Bill
Old 12-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Bob Pastorello

Bill, I wish I was already carving up the belly pan, so I could send a pic. There is a belly pan that is glued to the bottom of the wing, about 2 1/2" deep at it's shallowest, and it goes from l.e. to t.e of the wing. I will cutout the bottom, build in a half-round tunnel, and mount the pipe to the wing. The bottom will be open.

As long as you don't get into long pipe settings, it should be fine. The real problem with the 1.20 will be the short landing gear. Those will have to go if you run a 15" or larger prop.

The TT120RP would be a FINE choice for this airframe.
And it would be a great logical next-step to the Javelin.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Jim Oliver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

My LHS just got in two Excelleron 90's @ $210 each + shipping; also an Excelleron 50, but it is almost as expensive as the 90--$205 + shipping.

PM me if any of you are interested.

Olddogg60, I intend using the TT 120 rp with TT header/pipe on my Excelleron 90. As Bob said the short gear may be a problem. With the power of the TT 120, a three blade prop might be a solution. Some preliminary measurements indicate that pipe length should not be too much of an issue. Some minor surgery to fuse bottom just aft of wing T.E. may be needed.

I like Bob's idea of the open bottom belly pan.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 PM
olddogg60

Bob and Pattern Student,
Thank you for your replies. It looks like I should get an Excelleron 90 on order before the price goes up again.
I was wondering about the prop length issue after seeing some RPM figures and prop lengths that were being used for the TT 120RP. A 3 bladed prop sound like a good idea. I have already had to make longer landing gear for the Javelin II to make a 13 inch prop (Saito 72) last on my not quite smooth flying field. At least I can step out the door and fly.
Now I need to find a header and a pipe (any ideas?). Probably after I price those out it won't seem like such a good deal on the engine. I got back into RC flying after many years off and I decided that just flying around the sky wasn't much fun. I began looking into IMAC and pattern flying and decided learning to fly precisely was what I wanted to be able to do. Hopefully I'm not too old to learn new tricks. I don't think that I will find any competitions close around here but maybe.
Thanks again for the help. This pattern stuff is very addictive.
Best regards,
Bill
Old 12-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Jim Oliver

Hi,

I am using the Thunder Tiger header/pipe/coupler. The weight of the exhaust system is 7.8 oz.
I can get you the part numbers if you need them. My LHS has good prices on TT products.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:03 AM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

I've also ordered mine. Out of curiousity, how much ground clearance is there with the stock gear? I thought Tommy S was using a 15X10 prop.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Bob Pastorello

With the 14" prop, there's just a hair over 1" clearance on mine.

Received the ST2300 yesterday, so probably will start fuse mods/pics today, and mount her up. Don't have the header yet, but I can mount it with the muffler to break it in. I'll also be installing my taller CF gear from another project.

So here's the FIRST problem. See pics. The alum straps that connect the anti-vibration pads to the engine mounting lugs weren't made for a motor with lugs as long (front to back) as the ST 2300 has. So now, with them "half a hole" off fitting properly, I have to solve this problem.
a. Grind off flange material (not my favorite choice)
b. Replace the "straps" with new material, requires metric drilling/tapping (don't have)
c. Buy a DB mount, modify it, hope it works, or has parts that work.

BTW, the ST2300 is just beautiful work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78800.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	204212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84057.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	204213  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:54 AM
JVB

Aerobob,

You mentioned DuBro extended control take offs in an earlier post. Are these the adjustable horns that screw onto say a 6-32 post? I have an arf with hard points already installed and their centers are 13mm back from the hinge line. I can't find any adjustable horns long enough except in dubro's control horn packs. I don't need the whole pack, just the longer horns. Are these available from Dubro or anywhere else? I couldn't find them in dubros latest catalog. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Bob Pastorello

That's a problem I'm trying to solve myself. The only takeoffs that are long enough are those in that expensive Dubro set, "Heavy Duty", and they are about 5/8" long, plenty of length to let you drill a clevis pin hole wherever needed.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find just the takeoffs - YET. But I'm looking pretty hard...we have to think outside RC, or at least outside "control stuff"; I'd bet there is something out there already that would be perfect. We just haven't found it.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Bob Pastorello

Unfortunately, I didn't want to put more money into this, and since I had the Dremel tool already, well, here we go!!!!

I took off about 3/32 of the front and rear edges of each mounting lug, and that lets the stock mounts bolt up perfectly. After looking at the MK and DB mounts, I realized the problem was with the design of the ST 2300. Just too much mounting flange, so now there is less (on mine).

It was scary, but only took about 15 mins., and the results look pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15567.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	204220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73889.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	204221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43790.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	204222  
Old 12-18-2004, 09:24 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Bob,
I don't think the Dave Brown unit will solve your motor mount problem unless you cut
the mounting rails on the mount in half. It is not split like the stock mount .
The rail that is drilled and tapped for the engine mounting screws is one piece , it
is solid all the way back and the engine lugs with my YS 1.10 are all the way touching the
rubbers so the wider lugs on the ST-2300 would not fit unless the rail was cut in two. There is
plenty of metal there to do that if you want to.
I have never had the stock landing gear on mine but with the Bolly f3A std gear there is 3"" ground
clearance with an APC 15x10 prop so a 17"" should be no problem.
I used the stock hardware almost everywhere , even the fuel tank. I have had no problems with
the pull-pull wires using the stock control horns. The wires don't change tension enough to notice.
With the horns mounted as close to the hinge line as possible the clevis attaching point is less than
1/8" away from the line , not enough to matter in my opinion. The only place I didn't use the stock
horns was on the ailerons. I installed hard points in the ailerons and used MK aluminum horns because I
wanted the bearings in the attaching points and carbon fiber pushrods , but the stock ones would
probably have been OK too.
By the way , I have decided to install a Hyde type A mount in my new bird so I will let you know
how much trouble it is and if I think it is worth the trouble. UPS delivered it Friday so I will do some
measuring this weekend.

tommy s
Old 12-18-2004, 09:36 AM
tommy s

Bob, I see you've already solved your mount problem , good work.
I measured the height difference of the two landing gears and the stock
gear is over an inch shorter than the Bolly carbon fiber gear , might be a
problem with a 17" prop if the stock one is used , but you said you already
have some taller gear so you're in business.

tommy s
Old 12-18-2004, 10:43 AM
swlarcham

Well I ran my 14X11 4 blade prop yesterday. It pulled good , was very quiet but didn't seem to allow the 110 to turn up to potential. Tommy , your 13.8X10 may be better than I 1st thought.

I too am running the Bolly F3A large gear. Worth the upgrade -no prop clearance issues.

I contacted Dubro directly attempting to purchase the control takeoffs. I was first told they would only sell them in lots of #50. when I said "OK then how much would 50 cost?" they then said no go they don't break the packages. That's funny as I see them selling many other parts individually. Maybe we can all get together and bug them until they cave & sell us a case - we could then share with everyone
Eddie
Old 12-18-2004, 10:56 AM
tommy s

Eddie,
I'm hoping to try the APC 3 and 4 blades this weekend. I'll let you know
the results.

tommy s
Old 12-18-2004, 10:57 AM
olddogg60

Hi Jim,
Thank you again for the help. As I said in the PM, the Excelleron 90 is on order. What servos are you fellows going to use? I think that I will go with the Bolly F3A Std gear the Tommy S mentioned. I picked up another TT 120RP this morning. this one ahs a header with it but I would like to get one for the first engine too.
Bob, thanks for leading the way. I'll be interested to see how your muffler/pipe tunnel turns out.
Best regards,
Bill
Old 12-18-2004, 11:38 AM
elan120

Tommy or Eddie,

Did you made any changes to the landing gear mount or did you use the original mount with the Bolly carbon fiber landing gear?

Regards,

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.