Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

How do you balance your props??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you balance your props??

I never figured out a way to balance props so I don't, until now. I have an APC 17x6 that makes my Funtana vibrate like an electric massager so I guess I need to figure out how to balance the prop. I think the hole was not drilled in the prop's center.

Finding the light/heavy side is easy but how do I physically balance the prop?? Shave off some material??? Where?? I don't want to change the airfoil []

With electrics a swipe of clear Acrylic on the light side does the trick but glow fuel made that turn to a gummy mess.

Someone in the pattern group should have some good theories, right?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:57 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: How do you balance your props??

I don't contend to be an expert or engineer on the matter but have balanced a few props and flywheels. In layman's terms...

I have a High Point brand static balancer from B&B but the Dubro balancer is nice too. Windsor prop makes a nice one but it is dedicated to props with a certain hole size. The Top Flite Balancer is fine for small props under 12".

Anyway, as you start balancing a prop by your favorite method of removing material from the heavy blade or painting the light blade, you will eventually find that the prop may balance with one side of the hub down but not with this side up?

As the differential weight between the two blades gets to a value near or below the imbalance of the hub, you will find yourself removing material from the hub instead of the prop blade. Due to not being able to determine the actual vector of the imbalance, you will find yourself chasing the heavy area until the prop or flywheel comes into complete balance? This all tends to just go in one direction unless you over correct.

The Windsor balancer has the arbors fashioned into a clamp. You move these arbors about the prop until you find the balance point. Then you drill a new (larger) hole through the hub using a part of the hub clamping device as your drill guide. This new hole will be at the static balance point of the prop. With this sytem, you are not removing material from a blade or from one side of the hub.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-22-2005, 04:03 PM
George E.

I like the idea of drilling a new hole to balance the prop, you have to ream the props anyway. I'll look into the Windsor.

w8ye You Said:

"Anyway, as you start balancing a prop by your favorite method of removing material from the heavy blade or painting the light blade, "......

That is my problem!! I don't have a "favorite method." How and where do I remove material and not change the airfoil????

Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 04:28 PM
jamesjoneill

This went round a couple of weeks ago, if you look back or do a quick search you should find all you could ever want to know.

James
Old 02-22-2005, 07:43 PM
George E.

Found the thread, thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
therupman

w8ye,
Where can I get a Windsor prop balancer and hole guide?
Bob Ruppel
Nashville,TN
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.masterairscrew.com/GoCart...68&RootID=1057

This is the company.

Maybe you can buy one there?

Seems like Tower and Horizon do not stock this balancer.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
ooooo

Check this link http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/prop...2623756/tm.htm it has all you wanted to know about balancing and more..[sm=pirate.gif]
Old 02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
therupman

Thanks w8ye. Already ordered the hole guides.
Bob Ruppel