Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ASAno leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Tuomas Tanska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASAno leaks

Hello

My ASAno pipe leaks a little bit from the riveted joints. The pipe is the 'older' type 630mm 4C with a flex header. The leak started to appear after 150 flights and I have heard it is normal with these pipes. However this is the only thing that oils my belly pan so I'd like to get rid of it. What have you done to seal the rivets for good?

Maybe I'll clean the pipe by flushing it several times with pure methanol and apply some hot epoxy around the rivet heads..
Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ASAno leaks

Hi temp Silicone RTV will work it its cleaned well. Basically you will not be getting large amounts of heat concentrated at the rivet points so Silicone will work...IT DOES add weight...Silicone is extremely heavy for its volume.

TN
Old 07-28-2005, 05:08 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASAno leaks

In my occupation as a sheetmetal worker some of the work I done was ducting for industrial machines, lathes and mills all cnc now that turn out mainly automotive wheels and the biggest problem we had was sealing because of oil in the cutting fluid being used the only thing I ever found that worked on oil was Ultra Blue RTV (not Blue only Ultra blue) it has a formula that eats though oil and adheres to the base material (probably an enzymes like they use for oil spills) anyhow it's good to 500 degrees F I have used this 5 years with models without fail, we even used it where we couldn't clean the surface properly to disassemble we had to destroy the ducting as we could never get apart unlike any other RTV.
I hope that many will try Ultra Blue and see it's unique qualities. I'm probably the only one that has used this as most go for the high temp that has been used for many years. Not disagreeing just showing advances in techincial fields. So it's oil resistant and high heat plus it eats though oil.
Copied from Permatex website"ULTRA BLUE No Leak RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Ultra silicones were developed to meet today?s technology changes. Sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive. Outstanding oil resistance and joint movement values. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temper-ature range -75?F to 500?F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Steve Maxwell