Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Evolution 1.00 vs OS 91 FX

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:24 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Evolution 1.00 vs OS 91 FX

F3A.. no sweat. I can take it from there. Thanks.

DS.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:05 PM
wagen017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiosity, did you try to run the engine with the plane inverted, using a mounting rig? In my opinion, RC engines are pretty much the same, so unless you fix an issue while mounting a new engine, odds are same problems come back. The problem you describe is a pretty basic one (which does not mean it is easy to fix!)
Old 01-16-2006, 01:33 PM
ACH

I have done lots of experiments with plugs particularly with the firepower range. F2 to F7. The lower the number the more likely it will suit a tuned pipe engine but the F5 or F6 are usually a better option for none tuned pipe engines and give a better/more reliable tick over. Are you sure a OSFs plug is the best glow plug for your installation? Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
f3a05

With all respect to our GBRCAA P.R.O. , I think that your problem is due to the tank height/fuel head relative to the carb spraybar position. The O.S. 4 stroke plug copes very well (the best) with the bigger pattern 2 strokes (OS 140, 160 &c.)
It combines being a hot plug,which helps the idle, with a mechanically strong element, which it has to be to survive the "big 4 stroke bang" (very techy).
Some inverted 2 strokes, at idle, are difficult to set for idle, because when the tank is full, and the fuel head at its highest ,you'll have to have the idle needle set on the lean side, relative to when the fuel head is low(like 1/4 full tank). At which point the Idle needle will be too lean.
That's where a regulator like the Cline can help. the pressure that the carb sees is as near as dammit constant, irrespective of tank position or content.
You still have to find the optimal needle settings, and in my experience the Cline isn't quite man enough for the 140/160s in all manouevres, but on anything up to 120s it's great.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
brettwegner

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Sorry to ramble on, but I've never owned an OS I didn't like...until now.
Happy Flying,
Will B.
flywilly I could not agree more !! . I have only been in the game for 20 Years now so i guess all my problems with the FX series must be down to in- experiance in tuneing. NOT

Mr Shigeo Ogawa would be turning in his grave if he saw the problems with the FX series .. I only hope that AX series will bring me back to O.S...

Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 PM
rcpaulrc

My original question concerning OS and Evo seems to be answered. OS is not what it used to be !!! CG retired has had some difficulties with the Evo but I think it is still a better choice than the OS. I used to swear by OS, now I only swear at them.
In fact I think Thunder Tiger, and Super Tigre are a better choice than OS - even without considering price.
I hope the AX will be better and will be interested when someone else (not I) tries one out.
ONE EXCEPTION, the OS 160 is popular and effective on the pattern circuit !
In the mean time I will stick by Webra and may try a Mintor.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

Not to bash evolution, But after spending a whole weekend trying to get a 1.00 running right on a buddies funtana 90, I am glad all my current glow engines are O.S.
I just bought and broke in my Evo 100. I found that removing both the high/idle needle limiters and changing out the hangar 9 glow plug fixed all of my problems. Now I can't get it to stop. Seen the OS 91 and it's really hard to say which one is better. OS will run forever but costs an arm, leg, & kidney. The Evo takes some modifications (mentioned earlier) but the price is just right and it huals a@s.

To each his own

Here's the video:

[link=http://www.zippyvideos.com/3677249193248456/vmr_stand_evo_1.00nx_break-in/*mods-r-me]Evo Break-In[/link]

Mods
Old 01-19-2006, 11:35 PM
viet-grunt
My Feedback: (18)

Barry from Australia i love OS motors but i willNEVER have the FX of the 90 size try on e-bay for the 91 FSR, super tigre 90, webra 90. or the OS 108. also most of my motors are inverted never a problem in starting about the Evolution their are a couple in our club they are know paper weights. About starting inverted the way i start mine fully open the throttle hand turn the propellor until you hear the fuel slush inside put the glow on it should start if carbie is set and the fuel tank set up right. Thank You BARRY
Old 01-19-2006, 11:55 PM
rcpaulrc

viet-grunt,
What kind of problems are being experienced with the Evo's ???
Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance of those guys sending me their 'paper weights'? I've got 2 and I would gladly add more. Are they using nitro in their fuel?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:49 AM
calnev4bob

I have both the OS and evo 100. GO WITH THE OS.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I removed the high speed limiter, but one of the problems seemed to be that the low end needle could "hunt" leaner&leaner with running.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 AM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

I removed the high speed limiter, but one of the problems seemed to be that the low end needle could "hunt" leaner&leaner with running.
I reinstalled my low end needle at the new setting. Now it keeps a setting just fine.

Mods
Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 PM
wolfiberkleid

I HAVE 3 YEARS ON THIS HOBBY AND RUN THE 0S AND EVOLUTION 46, THEY CAN COMPITE WELL WITH EACH OTHER, ABOUT A YEAR AGO I WENT O LARGER ENGINES AND GOT THE 91 OS AND THE EVOLUTION 1,00 THINKING I WILL HAVE THE SAME RESPONSE FROM EVOLUTION, BUT NOTHING TO COMPARE. I TESTED THE TWO ENGINES ON A PLANE SIMILAR TO THE XLT (IT IS A 60 SIZE PLANE BUT SINCE I FLY AT 13000 FT ABOVE SEA LEVEL, I NEED MORE POWER), AND THE EVOLUTION 1.00 SIMPLY LIFTS THE PLANE BUT NO POWER TO MANUVER OR DO ANY OTHER THING THAN A FAST ROLL, IT DIES AT AT SIMPLE LOOP.