Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Venus II

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Venus II

Agree. I was using 1100mah with 4 Hitec digitals and 1 analog in a Showtime 4D in pattern-style fly. One charge is enough for 5 flights with almost 50% reserve.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hulio516

I appreciate all the help i can get here. all i have is a futaba 4yf 4 channel radio that will have to do for now. if i put the servos in the back i have to use one of those dual servo reversers for the elevator http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXANF2&P=ML

someone told me that using that reverser above is like an accident waiting to happen. thats why i'm wondering if my plane will balance ok with the servos up front instead of in the back.

I wonder if that reverser is not the best thing to use since I dont have a computer radio

hulio

I have used a servo reverser and although it never failed on me it was very hard to get both sides to move exactly the same. Until I got my computer radio 7 years ago I got my LHS to reverse the servos for me. He is an electro geek and had no trouble doing that. I still have a few and use them if the occasion arrives.

If you are using an OS 91 FX it should balance if you put the servos up front. I have an OS 120 FS in mine and it would not. It's even nose heavy as it is with the servos in the rear

P.S. If your real tight for cash and want to use the servo reverser send me your name and address and you can have the ones I have ( I think I can find them ). Then when you make your first million you can return the favor
Old 12-31-2007, 07:17 AM
hulio516

Don, thanks a lot but I already have that dual servo reverser I mentioned. I want to get this plane ready before summer more than you could think. It's my 1st pattern plane and I know the 91 fx isn't the best engine to use but thats all i have.

lets see...91 fx
servos in the front
my cheap futaba 4YF 4 channel radio

Now, i been looking at these high torque servos S3010 for my rudder and elevator. will these be ok? and also will futaba S3004 standard servos be ok in the ailerons? or use the S3010 in the ailerons also?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDTB3&P=ML

If i use the S3010 servos will my 1200 nimh 6v. battery be ok or go bigger on the battery?
or which battery from here... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...tery&search=Go or would a good 4.8 battery do the trick since I don't have a charger for the 6 volt battery? I do have a fast charger but some people told me I cant use that to charge a 6v battery.. but in the notes below the 6v battery it says i can! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCTZ5&P=ML

thanks don, sorry for so many questions

hulio

Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM
cmoulder

Hulio, the S3010 is perfect for the rudder. And for the elevator if you use one servo and a split pushrod. Otherwise I would recommend 3001's for elevator (if you use 2 of them) and also for the ailerons. The 3004's will work, but they may not last as long because they do not have bearings on the output shaft.

Don't worry too much about the batteries. Just get a couple of 6-volt NiMH or NiCd packs of 1100 to 1500 mah and you're good for the day. In general, it is not good to fast-charge battery cells in series. Fast-charge Lipo's (the 20-minute, 3C variety) do so by using a separate charging lead that charges the cells individually.

If NiCd's are slow-charged at about 100 mah they will last a long, long time.

Main thing is to have as little binding as possible in the control linkages and control surface hinges, which adds to the work (and amp draw) for your servos.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 AM
elvir

if you are looking for a servo reverser then look at the smartfly Equalizer II (http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Eq.../equalizer.htm) it makes the servos work the same and also reverses it. I use it in my gp cap 232 27% and it is perfect.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
ziomarco

ORIGINAL: Don M.

ORIGINAL: hulio516

I appreciate all the help i can get here. all i have is a futaba 4yf 4 channel radio that will have to do for now. if i put the servos in the back i have to use one of those dual servo reversers for the elevator http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXANF2&P=ML

someone told me that using that reverser above is like an accident waiting to happen. thats why i'm wondering if my plane will balance ok with the servos up front instead of in the back.

I wonder if that reverser is not the best thing to use since I dont have a computer radio

hulio

I have used a servo reverser and although it never failed on me it was very hard to get both sides to move exactly the same. Until I got my computer radio 7 years ago I got my LHS to reverse the servos for me. He is an electro geek and had no trouble doing that. I still have a few and use them if the occasion arrives.

If you are using an OS 91 FX it should balance if you put the servos up front. I have an OS 120 FS in mine and it would not. It's even nose heavy as it is with the servos in the rear

P.S. If your real tight for cash and want to use the servo reverser send me your name and address and you can have the ones I have ( I think I can find them ). Then when you make your first million you can return the favor

I have an OS91FX in a Venus 2 with ther servos in the back and it balanced with the battery 4 inches behind the CG.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: elvir

if you are looking for a servo reverser then look at the smartfly Equalizer II (http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Eq.../equalizer.htm) it makes the servos work the same and also reverses it. I use it in my gp cap 232 27% and it is perfect.
Ditto! This is one of the best little gizmos ever. I have them on 4 planes, including a H9 27% Extra and now the RC Guys Super Decathlon. Makes life a lot easier.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Who sells a cheap 6 volt charger? Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
hulio516

cmoulder "quote" (Don't worry too much about the batteries. Just get a couple of 6-volt NiMH or NiCd packs of 1100 to 1500 mah and you're good for the day)

Do you mean attach them together somehow or just have one ready when the other one gets low?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

elvir..... that smartfly Equalizer II looks like a good item but i'd like to keep the servos upfront if it will balance ok as don said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
WMB ..... this is the only nimh 6v charger that I could find that may work....and I'm probably wrong about this too..[]

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHCF1&P=ML

thanks for all the help guys. i think i'm making more of a big deal about all this stuff than what it actually will be. all the replys really help

and now if I could find a cheap slow charger for the 6v nimh battery id be pretty much set

thanks a lot

hulio
Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: WMB

Who sells a cheap 6 volt charger? Thanks

You can't get any cheaper than this. I have one, use it occasionaly and it works fine for 4.8 or 6.0 volts. Contary to popular believe I fast charge all my nicads and nihm's without any issues. I was told by NOBS batteries where I bought my last battery packs that they'll last longer fast charged than slow charged - go figure.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-9_files/ch72.jpg

The main web site is www.maxxproducts.com
Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM
hulio516

Don M,

thanks for the advise on the wall charger for my 6v 1200 nimh battery

however, i purchased this one from tower today since I made an order and didn't want to pay more shipping charges for the one you mentioned....sorry

they wanted like $12.99 plus about $8 to ship it but I hope the one i bought is about the same as you mentioned i HOPE! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCF1&P=7

thanks

hulio
Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Don M.

It seems a bit less versatile but looks like it'll do the trick.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
hulio516

Is there a less expensive way for me to hook up my exhaust system for the 91 FX than those expensive mufflers http://www.pspec.com/details.asp?ProdID=61&category=8 i already have the muffler that came with my os 91FX

hulio
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 AM
JVB
My Feedback: (2)

A friend of mine used an OS 1.20 AX and mounted it at an angle such that the muffler was positioned under the fuse. He added a muffler extension to get it clear of the fuse. Another option is that I've got an inverted pitts muffler for an OS 91 that I would sell cheap.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 PM
hulio516

JVB,

I appreciate the offer but I have to decide what I'm going to do about the situation for a while.

hulio
Old 01-12-2008, 07:02 PM
srekar

Any body using YS110 on Hyde Mount with a nose ring?? If so any photos with details??

Thanks
Srikar.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hyde mount I got from Hyde does not require a nose ring. It is specifically designed for YS110.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:34 AM
codfish

I have a Venus II with an OS 120 AX with over 200 flights on it. This combinatin is excellent. I used a Bisson Pitts muffler and the engine mounted horizontally. I alway exercise throttle management. I have totally unlimited vertical straight up. It does not stop until i cut the throttle, yet it does not seem to be over powered at all. One secret is to mount the tank directly over the C.G. There is plenty of room and it fits perfectly with a modification of one former. I used a Perry pump up front. I always mount my tanks over the C.G. You will enjoy your flight much more that way!! So far this has been my finest model i have built and flown. Club members and bystanders are very impressed with it's performance. When i cut the throttle she floats. I can slow it down to a craw without stall. Landings can be a gentle touchdown.

I believe the venus II is the best value you can possibly find for precision flying, and the 120 AX is a perfect fit for it.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
tiger650
My Feedback: (22)

I just finished building my Venus II and I was wondering if I should program any expo in?? The instructions only give recommended throws.
Any thoughts?
thanks,
Bob
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Generally speaking, you usually want some expo. A good starting point is around 25% per surface, then you get adjust it from there to suit your preference.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM
codfish

I have quite a bit experience with the Venus II and surface throws and expo.

Rates:
First off what ever you do not use high rates on the ailerons on your first few flights! What the manual recommends for low rates is perfect to fly this ship well and even allow very quick maneuvering out of a tight spot. In fact what the manual recommends for all the rates is dead on, use them. You may want to experiment with high rates on aileron after you get used to this plane. If this is your first pattern type aircraft you will be surprised at the quick response this ship has! On the elevators low or high rates is fine right from the start, but again you will be surprised at the ships willingness to obey your every command. Keep in mind when I speak of this I bilt my model so that the C.G. was exactly in the center of the range mentioned in the manual, not nose heavy or tail heavy. Also since I mounted the tank over the C.G. my trims stayed the same though out flight. Even after over 200 flights I still use only low rates on the ailerons until I get up high and plan on some wild maneuvers

Expos:
I flew about 25 flights without expo, then I tried expo (less than 20%), making only the ailerons less sensitive around the center. All other surfaces I did not add expo. After about 10 flights (a few flying sessions) I went back to no expo. I found it was really just a matter of preference. If the pilot does not have smooth fingers maybe expo is a good thing. I found no expo to be the most enjoyable. I recommend you start out with no expo and learn how this ship feels and then experiment. Just remember LOW RATES ON THE AILERONS until you get used to the plane.

Graceful flight
The Venus has continued to surprise me on its ability to fly at a good clip strait and fast like and arrow and do amazing maneuvers but yet throttle back and she is as slow flying and tame as a *****cat. There were time I swore I could catch this model in my hand (flying into the wind at low throttle) but don’t do that! There is a 14 inch prop spinning up front! One note, before you do any wild maneuvers be sure to throttle back. With the 120 AX you must exercise throttle management. Diving toward the ground I also throttle way back. She comes strait down dropping like an arrow. Pulling up elevator she comes right out in an instant and slows to a craw.

Visibility
The color scheme could not be any better. The top side is extremely attractive and always catches eyes. Flip her over and the dark blue immediately gives indication that you are inverted. This has saved me countless times when I am a distance out and doing maneuvers.

Build notes:
I always seal my hinge lines. I used transparent monokote on the Venus.
Although I could get way with less on the servos i used Hitec HS-6965 HB servos al the way around. (except throttle)
With the 120 AX, Bisson Pitts muffler and a Perry pump up front, servos in back tank over the C.G. I needed no extra balancing weight anywhere.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM
elvir

just a little question , what is the 120 ax fule comsuption like?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
NJRCFLYER2

just a little question , what is the 120 ax fule comsuption like?
It's a little over 1 oz/min, depending on how you manage the throttle. That's with a tuned pipe, so it's making more power than a stock setup and using probably 15 to 20% more fuel.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
codfish

That is a good question. It had me concerned when i was deciding on the right engine. I was worried it would be too much.
As it turns out i used the tank that comes with the model (I forget how many CC's it is) but i get flights 13-15 minutes, and i run my engine on the rich side a bit. In the end, fuel consuption was never a problem for me. I use Cool Power 10%.

I was also concerned it would be over powered with a 120 AX and wondered if i should use a 120 FS. After flying so much i now know the 120 AX is a perfect fit. I kind of think I would not be satisfied with a 120 FS, but I'm sure it would fly just fine with one. And there is no reason to think someone would be making a bad choice to use a 120 Four Stroke.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 PM
NJRCFLYER2

The recommendation I gave for expo pertains especially if you are interested in precision flying. For "wild maneuvers", I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.