Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MY Christmas Present

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY Christmas Present

my mentor, has retired his EMC-2 as he has thre new planes. I have been calling for him the last year and a half, and he has
given me the plane (includes all servos, and he is loaning me the OS140 that is in it. I cannot tell you how wonderful and scared I was to fly it. I have been flying the excelleron 90 with an OS120 AX and it has been a good combo. But the EMC-2 is like comparing an Lincoln towncar with a yugo. It is sooooo smooth, and I now know the meaning of feeling the plane thru the sticks....... I have not landed it yet but did get to take it off and fly it and get it trimmed out. The reason I did not land it was because the the wind was reverse and I have not flown in a few weeks and to be very honest I did not want to have to land under anything but normal circumstances. Plus it was late in the day and even my mentor had a hard time
landing it due to having to land facing the sun.

Now here is a question. My excelleron 90 is a very good plane but compared to the EMC2 it is inferior. Is this due to the fact that
the EMC2 has digital servos and it is a full two meter plane, whereas, the excelleron 90 is a 90 size plane? Anyone want to venture
why the difference? THe 90 is balances and fully trimmer out and has no bad tendencies.

But know this the EMC2 has me stoked!!!!!!........ and I cannot wait to get into the new sequence . I am flying sportsman and this will be my last year in that group. In fact I intend to fly the intermediate with the excelleron 90 until I have the pattern down before I fly the pattern with the EMC2.

Hope your Christmas was as good as mine. !!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:21 AM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MY Christmas Present

ORIGINAL: Walfam

Now here is a question. My excelleron 90 is a very good plane but compared to the EMC2 it is inferior. Is this due to the fact that
the EMC2 has digital servos and it is a full two meter plane, whereas, the excelleron 90 is a 90 size plane? Anyone want to venture
why the difference? THe 90 is balances and fully trimmer out and has no bad tendencies.
Hello,
to say that a given airplane is inferior with respect to another one, we must say clearly what is the feature that we are evaluating.

I would say that a 2 m airplane flies better than a smaller one. Certainly not because there are digital servos vs anolog: there are many top quality analog servos. Too bad they cost, but if we want the best there is a price to pay.

Regarding bad tentendices, perhaps is useful to point out that no airplane invented so far is "perfect with no tendencies". Every design is a trade-off, this is what engineers think about every day! This is to say that we can design a plane that, regarding a given feature (es, KE flight) is better than one other, but in other flight conditions it could be worse.

I feel airplane trimming is the most important thing we can do with a plane, and given the same plane the trimmed one will fly MUCH better than the untrimmed one.

Happy holidays!!!