Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

showtime

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
rc pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default showtime

coould anyone tell me if the YS 140 sport is to much engine for the showtime ? weight, power ect...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: showtime

coould anyone tell me if the YS 140 sport is to much engine for the showtime ? weight, power ect...
Well....I guess it depends...pattern=maybe...3d=why not...

IMO (take it for what its worth); You don;t need the power (huh...too much power??)...BUT...the extra weight may be useful. Allow me to explain...this plane gets knocked around pretty good in a stout wind (20mph +) so the extra weight may help this (if you can get it to balance). Power, this plane performs beautifully with a ys110/saito 125 with more than adequate power.

Can it be done....YES. There is a guy (YNOT) who put a os 160 (with os muffler) on his Showtime; its 10 ounces heavier than the ys 140. He has a video in the 3d forum...

Just for grins....I'm going to put this engine in my Excelleron 90 (similar in size and shape as the showtime). The ys 110 is fine, but I want a little more power for 3d flying. I also want to see if the extra weight will make it more stable in a stout wind. There have been guys that recommend bigger motors like the Magnum 120, Supertigre 2300 (140 2s), these engines weigh as much as the ys 140. This spring will tell...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

Got a guy at our club that has an OS 120AX he just put in. He flies it quite well and it will do what ever he wants. He was still breaking in the engine the last couple of flights I saw, so it was running pretty rich.

The plane seemed to balance fine as this guy is very particular. He spends quite a bit of time getting everything dialed in the way he likes. Landings were also a non-event. Plane came in smooth as silk.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:30 PM
pappy35

I've got the OS120AX in mine as well. Flies great. I imagine the YS would be a monster.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I know a guy that runs a supertiger 2300 in one. Good power..
Old 01-04-2007, 01:21 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

That's far more power than you would ever need in that model. You will most likely need to add some tailweight if you go this way. The more weight you put out at the ends of the fuselage, the more you emulate a flying barbell. Snaps and spins won't stop as well. It adds to your workload to do smooth rudder integration in rolls. A 120AX is about as much as you would ever need in this. It balances out well with that engine.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

The 120ax weighs 30 oz with muffler, closer to 31 with the extension for the muffler installed, the ys 140 weighs 33 oz with muffler.
True it does add a little weight to the front.
The supertiger I saw weighs 38 ounces with muffler. Flew in Masters pretty well.
I was suprised as I know this is a 90 sized ship.

I read along time ago that people running a saito 91 were needing to add 6 ounces or so to the nose. Not sure what muffler they were running. The motor itself weighs just under 20 ounces. I would assume another 7 ounces for a muffler to be fair with the 120ax.
Which would make the 140 weigh out ok by numbers.

It's probably too much motor for the plane though!!

Just a thought. I don't own one. I almost did. But I got another 2m ship..