Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern in Souther California???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:20 PM
MikeRuth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern in Souther California???

I'd like to know form the readers of this forum, just how many of you would consider coming to the Los Angeles area for a Pattern competiton at the Sepulveda Basin, Appolo II field.

I am trying to get pattern reconized once again at this great facility. I have had converstaion with the Valley Flyers, who operate the field in conjunction with the City of Los Angels. It has been said that with enough interest we could hold contests there once again.

I say once again, because the club was holding three or four a year there back in the mid 70's and 80's. Shoot I even remeber Chip Hyde flying there prety regular, when he was jst a youngin.

It seem to drop off when the nature of Pattern changed form bullistic to slower and higher. We do have Van nuys airport with in a mile of the field and claims have been made that they would not let us have a 600' ceiling, but that has been dispelled as the Jet Rally's have guys breaking that limit all the time.

I would ensure that thier is copperation between the airport and the club/flyers.

thanks,

MikeR

Edited spelling
Old 01-27-2007, 05:36 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Pattern is Souther California???

I was a member of the SFV Flyers years ago, and you are going to have an uphill battle. The city of LA will not allow any of the three clubs (that I know of) to run the field. As a result, AMA, or club membership is not required to fly there. Add to that, it is one of only a very small number of fields serving the second largest metro area in the country.

The place is crowded.

The biggest hurdle comes from the fact that the club pulls use permits from the city to close the field for special events; the jet rally you mentioned, helecopter fly-ins, funflies, and about a half dozen pylon races a year. In all, the field is closed an averaqae of one weekend a month. This causes a lot of bad blood with a large number of field users who are not club members, and in some cases are just not nice people.

I sugest that you will find yourself the focus of a lot of hostility if you try to bring pattern back to the Basin. I wish you luck. I, for one, would like to see pattern return to Sepulveda Basin. I'm not holding my breath
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
OUHOZER
My Feedback: (11)

Pattern at the Basin!!!
Hell Yea, I'm in.
Besides I think it would be Great to have a
Pattern Contest back at the Basin.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 AM
MikeRuth

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

I was a member of the SFV Flyers years ago, and you are going to have an uphill battle. The city of LA will not allow any of the three clubs (that I know of) to run the field. As a result, AMA, or club membership is not required to fly there. Add to that, it is one of only a very small number of fields serving the second largest metro area in the country.

The place is crowded.

The biggest hurdle comes from the fact that the club pulls use permits from the city to close the field for special events; the jet rally you mentioned, helecopter fly-ins, funflies, and about a half dozen pylon races a year. In all, the field is closed an averaqae of one weekend a month. This causes a lot of bad blood with a large number of field users who are not club members, and in some cases are just not nice people.

I sugest that you will find yourself the focus of a lot of hostility if you try to bring pattern back to the Basin. I wish you luck. I, for one, would like to see pattern return to Sepulveda Basin. I'm not holding my breath
Wow, wasn't expecting that!

I completly understand the folks not happy when the field is closed, been there done that, since I don't Fly jets, copters or Race anymore.

i think some of that pain could be aleviated by some larger announcements. Like signage that really stands out in advance of the events. I'm talking large!

But this type of flying is something else to watch, and I know when people see me fly pattern that have not seen it before, it often sparks some interest.

As for Crowded, sometimes, sometimes not. I mind my P's and Q's and keep an eye out for who and what is around me and I'm never in a hurry to fly. I'll sit back and let the trouble take care of it's self, then fly. I flew several flights today between 8:00am and 11:30 am with no more than three others once, and just one other every time.

i respect your comment, but I don't think anyone will really have that big of a grudge if I get this done.

and finally, you didn't mention if you would participate, Would you?

thanks

MikeR

Old 01-28-2007, 02:10 AM
MikeRuth

thanks for the vote!

MikeR

ORIGINAL: OUHOZER

Pattern at the Basin!!!
Hell Yea, I'm in.
Besides I think it would be Great to have a
Pattern Contest back at the Basin.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:38 AM
riot3d

The basin is a great flying field. I've flown there twice in the late 80's, reminds me of the Morgan Hill club.

If they will ease up on the height restriction, I wouldn't mind attending the contest. However, I think it may not be that easy with Van Nuys airport right next door.

Adrian
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 AM
MikeRuth

Thanks Adrian

VNY might be a problem, but we won't know until thier approached about it. It's been said through the grape vine there is a club member with some pull over there now.

MikeR
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM
MikeRuth

If it just becomes such a problem with VNY then there are two other fields in the vicinity that are private, and might be able to handle the cometition. I'm checking that out to. One in Camarillo and one in Canyon country.

MikeR
Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pattern in Souther California???

You do know that there are other flying fields around within about a one-two hour drive of central Los Angeles? I can easily see the point of view of the County. Number one being is that whoever you talked to doesn't actually know you, and then it must be discussed with yet more persons within the county government, for the basin is designed for all residents of Los Angeles County, no matter their affiliation, aircraft, frequency, etc....

I am located to the east of Los Angeles a good 50-60 miles and there are several clubs out this way now flying unlimited. You have to do your homework first. Before contacting any of these, it would be up to you to do advertising, ensure a certain quantity of participants, figure out the date, etc.....

You can complain and whine, but until you actually get to be a minor promoter, you do not know of the problems associated with such thoughts. If you can locate a person involved with decision making at a local club or airfield, then you may be able to sit back. Otherwise to have it done you must do it yourself. And I was told more than a year ago not to expect any help from the Senior Pattern Asso, for they want to stay along Atlantic Coast with their activities.

Wm.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:53 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

Yes I would. I am planning on going to Lancaster, but am not sure I can make it.

You mention that there is some concern about altitude. I do not think it is a problem, but that is the issue that will be used to shoot down a pattern contest. The Valley Flyers board was, and I susupect still is, dominated by a pylon racing clique. They will not easily give up a race date for a pattern event. Don't get me wrong, they are some good people. I think Barry is a nice guy, who is very pasionate about racing.

I got fed up with the place when a rumor started that there was a group that was trying to ban jets from the Basin, and that I was one of the leaders. There were very few people that wanted jets off the field. I was not one of them. I did not know about any organized group, and there probably was not one.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

You do know that there are other flying fields around within about a one-two hour drive of central Los Angeles? I can easily see the point of view of the County. Number one being is that whoever you talked to doesn't actually know you, and then it must be discussed with yet more persons within the county government, for the basin is designed for all residents of Los Angeles County, no matter their affiliation, aircraft, frequency, etc....

I am located to the east of Los Angeles a good 50-60 miles and there are several clubs out this way now flying unlimited. You have to do your homework first. Before contacting any of these, it would be up to you to do advertising, ensure a certain quantity of participants, figure out the date, etc.....

You can complain and whine, but until you actually get to be a minor promoter, you do not know of the problems associated with such thoughts. If you can locate a person involved with decision making at a local club or airfield, then you may be able to sit back. Otherwise to have it done you must do it yourself. And I was told more than a year ago not to expect any help from the Senior Pattern Asso, for they want to stay along Atlantic Coast with their activities.

Wm.
Minor correction The Basin is a city, not county park.

There was a pattern event a couple of years ago at Whittier Narrows (LA County park), until the tragic loss of Mile Square (an Orange County park), they had one there every year. You might want to contact the SG Valley Flyers.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
patternflyer1

I flew twice at the basin and that was all it took for me to realize I would never fly there again. Alot of people there have no "field" etiquette. They didn''t check to see who's on their frequency before turning on. They didn't care how many planes were in the air. It's a very unsafe airfield. I know of several who have lost planes there due to people turning on while they were flying.
Even if the field were shut down, I don't think I would make the trip down for it.
Thanks for what you are trying to do though. Glad to hear people would like a more contests!!
I hope it works out for you!!

Chris
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
MikeRuth

I must say that it seems as though I will not get this through the more I invistigate it. But I'm not done.

Yes I am one, but trying to become more, and that's why I ask for the vote if you would or would not.

Just for the record it would be a closed field event. frequency controlled as are all of the SFVF meets..

I'm aware of Lancaster and I hope to participate myself this year. I really want to get back into competitive flying and that's why I'm on this.
Frankly the basin is a 5 minuete drive for me and so I certianly would like to see some events thier, but if not, I'll get out to some others.
I'm good to go on a two hour drive for a contest.

I certainly can't deny that being a public field has it's drawbacks, but at least recently, I haven't seen any of the turns on that have been mentioned.
I count my lucky stars, Been flying there now for Forty years.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
patternflyer1

Mike,
I hope to see you at Lancaster. I'll be there at both contests. Plus the Riverside contest in June. Plus most of the Northern Cali contests. If I can be of any help to you, don't hesitate to ask.
I hope to see you at Lancaster in 2 weeks!!
Check out our district website if you haven't already..
http://www.nsrca.org/d7/

Chris

Old 01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

. . . Alot of people there have no "field" etiquette. They didn''t check to see who's on their frequency before turning on. They didn't care how many planes were in the air. It's a very unsafe airfield. I know of several who have lost planes there due to people turning on while they were flying.

Even if the field were shut down, I don't think I would make the trip down for it.

Chris
A big part of the problem is that the City of LA will not allow any club to regulate the field unless there is a use permit for a specific event. In order to get a use permit, they need an AMA sanction for the event. All other weekends are totaly open. Any one can fly anything, anytime. I will fly there only during a sanctioned event, and only then if I do not have to deal with certain club officials.

What drove me away was a group of guys that would get .40 sized Mustangs with YS.91's swinging a 12-8 props, and ''fly formation''. I once went to land my pattern plane and was met head on by about six or seven of these things screeming down the runway. They would do this all day long. Scream down the runway, do a proceedure turn at the end and do it again, the other way.

It's beginning to look more and more like I will miss Lancaster[:@]. Not enough time to practice.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 PM
patternflyer1

Well, that's a bummer. I haven't had much practice either. I got 6 flights Sunday and hope to practice on the sacred "super bowl sunday" also. I'll probably suck, but I don't care. I enjoy Jerry's contest.
Still, it'd be nice to meet ya. Hope to see ya there!!
Maybe next time though!!

Chris