Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Cyclone 90 Questions

Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cyclone 90 Questions

Last year I purchased a Cyclone 90 ARF that I have started to complete. This isn't the Australian plane but one that I believe to be of Chinese origin. It came in a plain paper box with no instructions. It has tapered, plug-in wings. If anyone has experience with this plane, would you please comment about any areas that needs strengthening. I am somewhat wondering about the landing gear mount. Also, the engine mounting plate might not be strong enough for an OS 90 2 cycle.

Allan
Old 03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cyclone 90 Questions

I have one sitting on the bench right now. I am planning on a little glass work on the gear mount plate.

I think the ply mount will be OK for a 90 2 stroke. Mine is getting a soft mount and a YS 1.20.If you are really oried double it up with lite ply and laminating resin and don't forget to add triangle bracing.

I would be interested in any other info on the model.

I am planning on a re-cover since the covering has lifted since I bought it and won't stick back down worth a hoot.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:09 AM
AWorrest

I initially thought of using a four-stroke engine with a soft mount but it would require relocating the thrust line. The bottom of the plywood motor plate is coincident to the plane's thrust line. For that reason I decided to use a hard mounted two-stroke engine.

The plywood used in the airplane reminds me of the plywood used in my Fliton Prodigy. That plywood is OK if it isn't stressed. If it is, it doesn't break; it shatters! I'll certainly add bracing to the Cyclone.

I really didn't want to do too much modification. I intended to use the plane as a test bed for a DX7. Several years ago there was an article in the AMA Newsletter about making a fixed gear installation indestructible. I tried it on a smaller model and it worked. It requires some effort. If the gear plate was strong enough for a grass runway environment, I would prefer to use the plane as it came.

Allan
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Diver09
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys sorry to interrupt but where did yall buy this plane? Any US dealers? i'm very interested in getting one
Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 AM
AWorrest

Chris,

I bought mine through eBay over a year ago. Several months back there was one being sold on eBay without the wing tube. That is not really a disadvantage. The tube that came with mine had such thin wall that I bought a PBG sleeve and tube. I plan to insert the PBG sleeve inside the existing one.

Allan