Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Coming this summer: Black Magic VF3

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Coming this summer: Black Magic VF3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coming this summer: Black Magic VF3

Not too bad then Dean. Sounds like you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow.

stay tuned...

That's a given.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Barye
My Feedback: (27)

edit
Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 AM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fully preped and wet sanded, ready for design, tape, spray masks and paint !!!

two weeks to get to this point, whew !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39331.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	696517  
Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
handglider

just a sneak peek of the customer vf-3 I am painting.

finished the red today, got to play with spray masks and a few other things...

still have purple, yellow and silver to shoot, a good bit of color shading and blending and a new tribal version of the YS Dragon logo

and a few other tricks up my sleeve

cheers all!

Name:	Nl28623.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	696952  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Rebellion

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Patience!!! We're not giving away everything just yet

Ok, I've been getting a lot of calls and emails lately, all asking the same questions, so I may as well post the answers here.

First off, I have exactly 2 pro glow kits left before the Nats. Then that's it until after. I doubled the size of the first run, and it just about worked out perfectly. So if you want one before the Nats, well.....

Next, I keep getting asked "how does the plane REALLY fly". Well, I can't say anything more than what I have already, but I'd have to underscore some things after really getting a lot of testing in some really adverse conditions.

This plane is clean/draggy. Not in a bad way, but down lines are NOT an issue....unless feeding in throttle in a down line is uncomfortable. The plane is very stable at low speeds, and just doesn't get knocked around by the wind that much. It really dampens out in turbulence. The really cool thing that it does, in my opinion, is presents like an electric plane. Very solid and locked, slow and graceful, and does exactly the same thing in very high wind. For those curious about the electric version of this plane, you need to approach this one a little differently. You need to think about speed and power, and don't worry so much about slowing the plane. More pitch=good.

Everything else is pretty much on the money as far as what I've stated before, but this aspect of the plane is what is so different that sets it apart. If you're using a glow engine, the only thing you're giving up to an electric is the smoke trail. This also means you can prop a 2 stroke for speed and power and not worry so much about fast down lines. That in itself is a real benefit. But will it haul the mail? Oh yes, just change the prop and it will rocket if you want it to. This is one place it has a serious advantage....flight speed envelope and penetration, but you have to prop it with a higher pitched prop and take downlines out of the equation because they simply don't matter with this plane.

I am confident enough to say now without any doubt at all that this plane is everything I had hoped for, and a LOT more. Quite a few people have flown it now, so ask them, or better yet if you get the chance, fly it yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. I haven't heard anything I'd consider "bad" from anyone yet, except "how do you get the parachute off this thing". Change the prop because the plane is different

Inputs are very clean, and it will do everything in the FAI catalog with the best planes in the world, if not better (than most). That's all I'm going to say unless I find something "bad". So far, nada. But it is definitely different.

Kits will ship toward the end of the month, sooner if possible. You guys are fantastic!

-Mike
Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Archie Stafford flew Mikes prototype at the Jetero pattern meet this past weekend
and I was totally impressed with the airplane. This is the airplane I will be flying next
year.
Arch had less than 15 flights on the airplane but flew it very well. I have to agree with
Mike about the wind. We had a fairly strong wind directly across the runway and it didn't
seem to bother it at all. Looks good too !
It sure is a big sucker !!!

tommy s
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
2001az
My Feedback: (5)

Mike,

Could you explain the difference between the standard kit and the pro. in your website you never make this difference. The only change is in the price.
And why not design this model with built-up wings instead of wood-foam. (I knwo about strenght and precision, but in MHO wood wings are lighter and your kit boxes will be smallers).

Arturo
Old 06-07-2007, 03:26 PM
MHester

Man, I really need time do do a FAQ.

The main difference in the 2 kits is the carbon laminated parts, and it's on the site under the info page. Yes, there's OVER $200 worth of carbon in the pro kit. And since I posted the prices, guess what? They just raised the price on carbon ANOTHER 20%.

Why bother you ask? It makes a MUCH stiffer and more durable structure. You can take out a lot of structure and still have more strength than with plain old balsa and lite ply, and AC ply is heavier. It's the way I do all of my own planes. But I'm going to pull my hair out if they raise the prices again.

Wings: simple. And that's the answer. It's just faster and easier. And if you know what you're doing, you can get a foam/balsa wing about the same strength and weight as built up. Not quite, but close enough.

-Mike
Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
handglider

Team Black Magic in Muncie for the D4-D5 shoot out this past weekend.

Name:	Jh16313.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	702052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87555.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	702053  
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

I just hate to see this thread move back to the second page. In checking my watch this morning, I see that it is after "Mid June" and moving toward "late June"<G>....Hey Mike, any chance you can bring my V3 kits with you and drop them off on the way to Nederland? Lake Charles is on the way!

George
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
handglider

Hey George, thanks - we've been too busy building and painting to post anything.....
Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM
MHester

Ok, I suppose it's time for an update.

Well at the first of this month, I got a cold at the Andersonville contest. I have lupus, and the cold turned into pneumonia. I have my immune system chemically shut down, so I had to let it fire to get rid of the pnuemonia. Finally starting to get over that but now I have to shut my immune system back down, because lupus is like having battery acid for blood.

Also the carbon for the canopies that was supposed to be here the first week in June has been backordered further to the end of the month.

So to make a long story short, we're running behind. And as a result, I won't be at the nederland contest this weekend, and that sucks because I was REALLY looking forward to it. I will see you all in muncie though for certain.

Back to the kits, they're simply running behind. Anybody that has a standing order feel free to contact me if this is a problem and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,
-Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry to hear you[ve been under the weather, Hope you get back in the pink soon. I am also sorry that you won't make it to Nederland, I was looking forward to meeting you. I'll wait patiently for my kit...no problem, just anxious to get it and have something to work on.

George
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Rebellion

Well Mike, I guess that explains why I haven't seen you at the club practicing. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:29 PM
MHester

I'll be in baton Rouge the weekend of the 30th though....hanging with some friends.

Thanks, I'm getting better but needless to say, haven't been able to keep up as well as planned. My apologies guys. But I will say it's worth the wait [8D]

-Mike

PS Dave I'll be at Ga Jets Saturday. With my new Showtime, all ph3aR the killer Showtime!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Rebellion

I'll try to get by there and say HI but I have to be at Multis Over McDonough Saturday to pick up something. I sure would like to see that killah Showtime though. I don't suppose Sunday is on your agenda?

Anyhoo, take care Mike.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:26 PM
bwick

Mike,

It's too bad, we would have liked to have had you down here :\

I didn't even know you were considering coming in the first place.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

l337 w00t!!11
Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
MHester

LOL somebody spends some time online

-Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
handglider

I just finished painting that V3

pics in a little bit...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Brett,

mike was hopefully brining my plane to Nederland..unfortunately it'll be the week after. I wont be at nederland either..I'll be meeting Mike in Baton Rouge the following weekend, and then I'm riding up to Muncie with Nick to call for him at the IMAC Nats, then home for a week, and then back to Muncie...going to be a fun month,

Arch
Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 AM
team3d

you caught my attention, This plane looks great and I know it flies great....HMMM, an e-flite power 160 would go great on this
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM
mmattockx

Ya know guys, there was all this talk of more pics and a build thread and on and on... Any stuff coming our way soon??

Mark
Old 07-02-2007, 01:30 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

You guys wanted pics..well here ya go. This is what Mike has been doing for the last few weeks. THIS airplane was WOOD last week..he glassed and painted this in one week. I did the monokote and we hooked up in Baton Rouge today and put it together. have a couple of little details to finish. I'm heading to Muncie to help out a friend flying IMAC and will maiden it probably Tuesday up there...looks like about 10 1/4 - 10 1/2 lbs...no weight problems...and it is GORGEOUS!! I'm sure Mike will chime in here this morning..he is out like a light I bet...I know he hasnt gotten more than 10-12 hours of sleep in the last 4-5 days...

Mike, YOU ARE DA MAN!!

Arch

Name:	Wu59675.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	714939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96881.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	714940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98467.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	714941  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.