Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

CA Model's Eclipse Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 12:18 AM
GW-inactive
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Model's Eclipse Kit

Got my CA Models Eclipse Kit today via UPS from Planes Plus. Shipped Wednesday, arrived Friday.

First impression of a quick glance through the contents : Very nice!!!!

Fuse: Perfectly straight and light. Perfect fit of canopy and chin cowl. Fuse weight with canopy and chin cowl 26Oz's. Fuse will need no formers for strength, this dude is stiff. Looks as if the stiffness is accomplished by foam being inside the glass structure during molding. Should help eliminate any oil-canning effect the glass fuses are well known for.

Firewall included, its very light as well. Its glassed over, composite material,.

Wing/Stab: Pre-sheeted! I have been sheeting wings along time. For myself and others. This is as good as I could do, probably better. Great balsa. Light, good grain.

Sub ribs are installed. can see them down the tube hole. lined up nicely with the bore. Tube slid right into holes with a snug fit.

Wheel pants. Very Nice. Light. Fiberglass . They are made like the Bollys with a recess for the gear legs to fit into.

Aluminum Gear. Nice. Did not weigh them yet, but will do fine. I may replace with Bollys. , but probably not, as the Bollys have increased in price to near $50 now, and these gear look nice. A shinny polishing, and they will be great.

Wood pack.

Did not open, but looked through the plastic. 2 sheets of laser cut parts. Look as if all the parts are there that you will need to completely finish all the framing. That will be a first ever in many ,many pattern planes I have built. Looks as if Mr. Columbo has covered all the bases with this kit.

Also included: Wing and stab tube, Wing and stab adjusters.
Preshaped wing tips ,,Precut landing gear mount.

Plans and instructions: None. Mine may have been left out of the box. But as far as I can tell, none really needed.(except we will need to know CG and tail servo locations at some point) If you have built a pattern plane before, this one will be a piece of cake. All the markings as to where to locate all the holes for tubes, thrust-lines etc, are molded into fuse. Servos cutouts marked on panels. Sweet!!

Only thing,, I will need to find CG location. No problem there, as Mr. Columbo has included his email on the supplied shock-wave generated CD. There may be instructions on the CD , but I'm not for sure yet. Will check it out tonite.

I guess I will do a construction page on my web-page if anyone is interested. Let me know of any interest.

The plane looks super cool !! Looks alot like a Smargdz.

All this for less than $600 to your door.. Mighty dang good deal in my opinion. Planes Plus ( the US distributor) said he would be doing some advertising here on RCU soon, so look for some info there. Also Doug Cronkite is a rep for the line of planes, and you can PM here as to availability and pricing structures. I am not a rep, nor have any other business dealings with Planes Plus,(other than giving them my money) any opinions are my own, in no way associated with CA Models or Planes Plus.

If anyone has a questions as to the kit, ask away, and I will be glad to answer what I can. I plan on fully checking it out this evening. I will have a better opinion once I have got it all out , and really went over it well.

Let just hope it flies as good as it looks. We shall see. Check the web-page out to see some more info later and my construction of the Eclipse.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:39 AM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Default CA eclpise

I got mine on Thursday and I bought the ARC version. Very good work. I may rebuild the rudder as I feel that it may be to soft for all the knife edging I will be doing. Also I had to build up the fire wall to fit my Hydae mount, I think about 1/8" thick. My servo mounting on the wing are mounted side ways, something that I have never experienced before, but am will to give it a go! Mine did not come with instructions either but Marcelo said that he will be sending them next week and that they should also be on the website next week to download. Mine did not come with the Stab tube so Don from palnes plus is sending it out tommorrow.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:44 AM
ryanvu
My Feedback: (3)

Default Ohhh!!!!

I placed my order with Doug on Wednesday...hope to see it sometime next week.

Lets post the construction notes, and pictures, as well as keep up this post. I 've a lot too learn since this will be my first "exotic" pattern ship.

You all make me jeolous since you beat me to the kit first - you're right; it's a heck of a lot of airplane for this price - THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.

Take care.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:27 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Sounds great, can't wait to get my ARC version!. BTW, I will also be helping Don with the CA line, so if you have questions drop me a line. I don't know a lot yet as I haven't seen the models, but I will be getting an Eclipse soon and probably one of the IMAC models in the future.

Have fun!
Old 03-10-2003, 01:22 AM
rgreen24

Default covering the wings

Started covgering the wings tonight and I I went to start covering the ailerons, I noticed something that I haev never send before, it seems to me that the trailing edge and the leading edge of the ailerons oppose each other. You guys take a look sometime and tell me if I am wrong. Not sure how this will work with the defelction of the aileron. I cant wait to get the instructions. May'be there is something that I am not doing. Hopefully that what it is.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:45 AM
ryanvu

Default rgreen24 ...

Not sure what you mean by saying the trailing edge, and the leading edge opposes each other? is it twisted? is it washout?

Let me know...I'll get my this week.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 01:49 AM
patternrules

If it's like the Smaragd they hinge on the top of the surface, if that's what your talking about. Really need more info.I know on the Smaragd they are not beveled to the center like most kits they so it looks better from the top and a big gap in the bottom.
hope this helps.

Steve Maxwell
Old 03-10-2003, 02:00 AM
rgreen24

Default Wow now it makes sense

I am use to hinging ailerons in the middle of the trailing edge of thge wing, this is new for me to hings the ailerons close to to the top of the triling edge. It makes sense that way and it would work. I am still opertaing without an instruction book, so I am kind of doing everything from past knowledge of other plane. Thanks for the info. By the way what kindof hinge material have you seen used on the Smaragd?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 02:12 AM
patternrules

I didn't build mine but the rudder is removable so I think they are Klett but I think the elevators and ailerons are ca type, I only use Radio South and Sig someothers have had problems with the fiber seperateing from the plastic.

Steve Maxwell
Old 03-10-2003, 02:34 AM
GW-inactive

OK, I'm at a loss here. I am about to venture to the shop and cut out my ailerons on my eclipse. I have built numerous pattern planes for myself and others, and cannot vision a case where center hinging was ever a problem as long as you capped the TE of wing and LE of aileron cutouts with 1/4 balsa, sand your bevel on the LE of the aileron, and you were done. Now I must admit, I have never built a pattern plane with this much taper (sweep) on the wings, but I still cannot convince myself this is a problem as long as I surround with the customary 1/4" balsa.
Maybe its a case of these being in the ARC (prebuilt wing and aileron) version where there is just not enough wood to do a proper center bevel. That I could understand, as It seems most of the European and more and more American builders are adopting this method, and the ARC may have been cutout and surrounded expecting top hinging to be used.
Right? Wrong? .
Old 03-10-2003, 03:12 AM
patternrules

I don't know if it just a looks thing or not, it may have just came from the AA, 3D thing instead of double bevels for the leading and trailing edges.

Steve Maxwell
Old 03-10-2003, 04:51 AM
GW-inactive

Another point I never really understood about top hinging:

You have 2 ailerons equal in every-way(length,width, thickness,etc). You take the ailerons and apply a top hinged bevel.
Mount these to the wing. Set up the servo throws the same for each panel.

Now apply right aileron to the plane . The R.aileron is deflected up, the left down.

Now. picture this in your head. Lets assume a 3" chord length for the aileron at the root end.
Now at 100% deflection on the aileron. let say it is 1" for an easy number. Each aileron is deflecting 1" from the center of the hinge.

Now lets say the TE of the wing where it meets the aileron is 1/2" thick.

With top hinging you will have the right aileron fully exposing its previously established chord of 3" above the slipstream of the wing.
Now what about the left aileron. Its deflecting down with the same stick movement. but with top hinging, its only exposing 2 1/2" of its previously established chord of 3"

So now we have right aileron deflection, with the up-going right aileron exposed to the slipstream 1/2" more than the down-going left aileron. Sure this is helpful in some respects( like differential)
but , what if you do not need differential. If you do not need it, you must reverse mix it out. I'm sure there is a logical explanation why this has very little effect as it seems to have, but it still makes very little sense to me, but I do not have an aeronautical degree, so I can only use logic to my advantage.

I guess since I bought the kit version, I can do it either way, and will probably stick with the tried , true, and logical center hinging.
Don't get me wrong, I know it works either way(witnessed it work perfectly) ,and someone may say Quique or Chip or CPLR would have it no other way but top hinged, and I'm by no means (nor ever could I hope to be at there level), but till its explained to me why its better, I will stick with the old timey(i guess) methods of center hinging.

Now to a more important issue I have found with the Eclipse.

How long is everyones supplied wing tube?
Mine is 24" exactly. Tube and Socket both.

I was about to install the wing tube sockets, when I thought I better measure the lengths needed in each panel and for the fuse to make I sure I did not cut the Wing sections to long, and shortchange the fuse section.(Being that I had only 24" to work with other than the customarily suppled 30" tube in most kits)

So, I got all the measuring devices needed out to make all the measurements in the wing panels as well as fuse.

All measurement made for no error, meaning bare minimums needed.

First wing is 9 3/16" to the sub rib installed in the panel.
so 9 3/16" + the 1/8" root rib and we need 9 5/16 to reach the outboard side of the sub rib ( we all know you must have the tube supported by the sub-rib else you have problems later on of the tube loosening in the foam, the outboard sub rib captures the tube and \secures it)

So first panel needs 9 5/16" of socket,

I measure other panel, same exact measurement , I need 9 5/16" t reach outboard side of sub rib from the root rib.

Now the fuse, I need 5 9/16" to reach across fuse with nothing to spare.

Add it up: 5 9/16" + 9 5/16" + 9 5/16" = 23 19/16" = 24 3/16"

Well my tube is only 24" long. 3/16" to short.. Need a longer tube. Hope they did not use 24" in all the others with the same wing sub rib locations. IF they did, the tubes are not making it to the sub ribs. Not good.

Maybe I got a short tube, and every one else is getting a 25" tube. 25 will work , with a little wiggle room.

I guess I will email Don K. and ask for a longer tube and socket.

and a set of plans, I still cannot believe they shipped all these planes, with no instructions,plans,etc. . I do not necessarily need them, but it would be nice to reference against. For those who have never built a pattern plane, I would say they are absolutely needed in construction.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Camodel - usa

Hello
Thank you by choosing our models.
About the Eclipse instruction sheets, its take us more time than usual by the difference of language.
Can find it in the web, www.camodel.com.ar near the week end and every one who had bought an Eclipse I will send it by mail the manual and pics as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Marcelo Colombo.-
Old 03-11-2003, 12:56 PM
GW-inactive

Marcelo
Many thanks for emailing me the info on the wings. Are all the sub-ribs cut in the same location with a jig? I have went back and checked my wings, and still come up with the same measurements as I had listed above. Maybe mine just ended up a little longer. No matter now, as I decided to go with a carbon fiber tube, to further help keep the weight down.
I just extended my sockets on further into the panel.

I'm hoping to keep weight down to 9 1/2- 9 3/4 lbs. Which I think is going to be attainable .

I have finished the wings( tips on, cut and surrounded ailerons, tube in, sub rib attached, servo-box installed) and the weights are 10.9 oz and 11.1 oz.

I will attach the 2 photos Marcelo emailed me regarding the wing tube sub-rib locations. Mine are a bit longer for whatever reason, but I'm sure most will be just like these( which I will assume at this point are jig cut) . Notice the glass reinforcement. Nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62075_4883.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	37677  
Old 03-11-2003, 12:58 PM
GW-inactive

another
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62076_4883.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	37678  
Old 03-11-2003, 05:56 PM
GW-inactive

I have had the chance to finish the wings now.
This being the kit version, I thought I might share a few notes.

The wing sheeting is applied with what appears to be epoxy( I may be wrong) .. In cutting out the ailerons, I saved the center section of "5/8 " That was cut from between the wing and aileron.
I did a few destructive pulls on this piece of sheeting, Its adhesion to the foam was very adequate, destroyed the foam center, leaving small pieces of foam securely attached to the outer sheeting. No delamination from the sheeting.. Safe and sound.!

The ailerons and servo location are marked on the bottom of the wing , I added to the cutout 1/4" for the TE capping of the wing, and 3/8" for the Aileron LE capping. The aileron is near 7/8" thick at the hingline, so 3/8 was used to allow for enough bevel for the center hinging.

I chose to put in a carbon fiber tube, so I did not use the supplied sockets or wing tube ( Which mine were to short anyway) . No idea why, but as you see above, Marcelo has them set inboard a bit, so the 24" Tube will work on this arrangement.

The supplied LE material was nice. Cut with 1/8" to spare for sanding.

The wings needed very little attention to sanding before I started surrounding with wood. The foam LE, tip, root, etc , were straight right out of the box. I vacuumed off the cores and went to work.

Same holds true for the stab. Everything fit perfect, especially the stab to fuse fit. It was perfect. The marked holes for the tubes were right on.

Anybody want in photos of any of this, let me know, as I am taking pictures along with each section.

Also several photos will be on my web-page this weekend.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:43 PM
ryanvu

Please please please...send pictures to me at [email protected]
I will be building mine this week...being that this is my first exotic pattern plan - I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 08:43 PM
ryanvu

If you want...I can even setup a website for your pictures....Thanks
Old 03-14-2003, 08:54 PM
GW-inactive

I have posted several photos on my web-page listed below of the Eclipse kit construction.

So far: Great Kit, no problems encountered, (other than the tube covered above) Everything straight, no warps.

Wings are within (actually less than) 1/8 degree from tip to root. Hard to get any better than that.

The small indentations on the fuse sides are accurate base lines to use for "0" incidence. Just connect a straight line across the centers, and you have your reference for incidence.

It also appears,(based on what I can figure out with my devices) that a 11/16" block placed under the fuse are the very rear , will set the plane level and get the above referenced lines to 0 degrees(assuming a level and flat working surface) . I will let you know if I establish otherwise.

You may notice that i did not extend the elevators and ailerons out the tips. Personal preference of mine , I think they are prettier this way, and gives me an immediate reference to check centering of the surfaces. May or may not effect the flying characteristics.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Dang.....

with the nice shiney new Titan and all, can't believe you are already doing another plane.....

The Titan came out awesome BTW.

Can't wait to see this one.

Pug
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 PM
GW-inactive

Thanks for the kind comments on the Titan ,

I have been out running the OS 140 in the Titan today.
Getting ready for the initial flights tomorrow.

I surprised myself with the Eclipse too,(as I am not a fan of glass pattern planes, I much prefer balsa.), but I wanted a little something different to occupy my time, . The Eclipse caught my eye, and that was that.

I had(and still have) intentions to build Titan II. Just thought I would build another glass kit for kicks in the meantime. I have the parts all cut out for TITAN II , and the cores ready , but after 2 months on the first one,

My problem is I love to build as much as flying, which is good in some aspects,bad in others. My flying buddies love it, as I finish a project, they are there willing to purchase , and a deal is usually struck.

The good: I've gotten very skilled in building over the years.

The bad: My flying abilities still stink.(many hopes of improving that this year though).
Old 03-18-2003, 03:22 AM
GW-inactive

OK, I have finally given up on waiting for some info from CA Models. Checked the web-page for updates over the weekend, and looked over what had been posted ( when I could get it to load!!), and was totally disheartened when I saw what was posted.

Don't misunderstand, I still think its a great kit, but you must have some info which is mandatory to properly proceed.

Am I alone in this expectation ?

Can someone with the ARC or ARF check some measurements for me on their Eclipse, and provide some info on locations of tail and rudder servos?

Here is what I need.

1. Measurement from the canopy/fuse separation line to the center of the wing tube?

2. Measurement from the tail post to the center of wing tube?

3. Servos in each stab half (2 servos in stab)? or in fuse on a MK style hookup

4. Where is the rudder servo located on the ARC(ARF'S)?

4. Where is the throttle servo located on the ARC(ARF'S)?

Many thanks to anyone who may have this info.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:12 AM
esport33
My Feedback: (2)

no I'm with you on this too. all the kit's I have from CA leave tons to be determined by the builder, I hate to assume of his intentions. they need to get the intructions settled before shipping these things. just my 2cents... I was also curious if there are spare parts to be had thru planes plus or direct. my dog thought that the vertical stab was a new toy today. I'm in need of a new one now.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:10 AM
robert

Marcelo had a tiny JR servo in each stab half. I would put the throttle servo as close to the linkage under the chin cowl, and thats all I can tell you....
Old 03-18-2003, 06:20 PM
aerobaticsdude

Here's what I got GW

1) 3 1/8"
2) 48 3/16"
3) Thats what I've done. 1 mini per half.
4) Rudder treys right at the back of the cockpit area glued under the fuse flange of the canopy/fuse line.
5) I'm gonna put the throttle servo as far forward as possible with the servos mounted in the tail. CG looks to be fairly good, but still don't have everything together yet. YS140. I think battery placement will handle it the way it looks now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.