Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

68" Extra 300 with Moki 1.35: is that too much of power for pattern flying?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

68" Extra 300 with Moki 1.35: is that too much of power for pattern flying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Zaquron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68" Extra 300 with Moki 1.35: is that too much of power for pattern flying?

I am just about to finish my 68" Extra 300 which will weigh about 9lbs or a lil' less.
What do you people thinkof it? Isn't it too much power for a model that size? I'm a little worried about the excessive torque. Wouldn't it affect the low speed behaviour of the plane?

Zaquron
Old 03-25-2003, 09:49 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You should be OK

I don't know the structure of your airplane, but at 9lbs you will have a well overpowered airplane. However, I do not think you will be dangeroulsy overpowered. Just going by C.C.s, the 1.35 is probably optimal for airplanes between 9.5-10.5 pounds where the goal is unlimited performance.

In this size to CC ratio, it depends mostly upon achieving a good balance without lots of extra weight in the tail.

As far as flying pattern, I don't know of any pattern pilots complaining about too much power. Swinging a larger propellor will help for aerodynamic braking when pulled to idle, and it's always nice to have some more throttle at the top if you want to go up faster.

Mark
Old 03-26-2003, 11:14 AM
walshy

Default 68" Extra 300 with Moki 1.35: is that too much of power for pattern flying?

Hey no worries Zaquron, I have a 66inch composite extra 300, 4.7 kilo. with a OS 160 fx swinging 14x10 wood @8 K. I will be useing it at my next comp in Expert. (It is only 5 flights old). It handles the shedule easily except it is a little short and as such does not dampen out yaw adjustments as well as a regular pattern ship. The greatest friend you can ever have in pattern is heaps and heaps of power, it helps you to fly the pattern larger and slower this gives you time to position your craft for the next manouver and give you time to hide and fix your mistakes with out the judges noticing so much.... Me I would use a 180 moki ... I,m serious.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

My 11.25 lb Cap has a Moki 1.35 in it, and it has unlimited vert, hovers about 1/2-2/3 throttle. My Goldberg extra (68", 8.25 lbs) could have used a bit more than the ST 90 that it had, but not that much. My prop on the cap is a 17x6 I t is the best I have found for the moki- both the APC 17x8 and 17x6 are good props for aerobatics

GET STRONG SERVOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Zaquron

thanks for the info guys!

I think my prop will be a 16*8 MenzS clone made of carbon.
According to my measurements it will turn at 9300 +/-100 generating more then enough pull on the nose of the bird.
About the servos i'm not worried at all... i use Dymond 6500s on the ailerons, 2 piece of 45Ncm servos on the elevator and one for the rudder.