Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Post all your "crappola" here

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Post all your "crappola" here

Hey guys,
I was wondering if someone could post a pic of an aileron horn/control linkage setup. At some point I'm going to have to replace the pc board horns with something, and I was thinking about using steel horns with the ball links I've got.

I also am wondering about these ball links I have - they came from a high-end plane shop and seem to be very high quality. However there is also a LOT of friction in the system. Is this normal for high end/ heavy duty gear? Do you guys do anything to ball links to loosen them up? I feel like I went through so much effort to get my hinges all perfect and freely moving, and now these ball links are just stiffening everything up again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66956.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1123735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87379.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1123736  
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Jetdesign

I just bowled a 688 series!!! Only my second 600 series ever, and this was WAY better... 209, 259, 220

That felt GOOD!!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

gaRCfield,

Hard to tell from the photo, but those look like the Central Hobbies ball links. My guess is you've got them too tight. The trick is to tighten them enough so the screw won't wobble, but not so tight that the ball joint won't move freely. Try loosening them slightly. BTW, the reason they have a nylon lock washer is because you're not supposed to tighten them too tight.

gaRCfield, it would be nice if you signed your posts with at least your first name, it's a little weird conversing with someone using the name gaRCfield. Most people on this forum disclose who they are, at least the first name, we're a pretty small community you know.

Good luck with the ball links, they work very well when adjusted correctly.

Keith B
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
mjfrederick

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I just bowled a 688 series!!! Only my second 600 series ever, and this was WAY better... 209, 259, 220

That felt GOOD!!
I was 3 pins shy of a 700 series a few months back... what really pissed me off about that was on the last ball in the 10th I only got 5 or 6 pins because I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize what I was about to do.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Jetdesign

Keith: Thanks, that was the problem; I had it cranked down too tight. Also fixed my signature, thanks for the tip.

mjf: I can totally relate. One frame my finger insert came out of the ball and landed a few lanes over so that could have been another strike, and I spent one game over the weekend practicing 7's. I left an 8 and automatically lined up for the 7. I would have hit it if it were still there, but needless to say I missed the 8 and left it open.

My best before today was only one 601, so I'm happy regardless.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
mjfrederick

Yeah, the first time I had an insert come out on me I started carrying CA in my bag. Luckliy I still got the strike and the insert just ended up in the gutter of my lane...
Old 02-12-2009, 03:19 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Another example of "crappola"

Warning!!!!

Only read if you are interested in attending a "Classic" pattern event, see classic aerobatic models fly, fly an authentic "Classic" model for NO CHARGE or pretending to work diligently on a work project...and need to look very busy!

Please continue to RCU link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8469207/tm.htm

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service
Crazy about "Classic" pattern
Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cool. If I lived closer to Muncie I would attend.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 AM
matt13

Great! Ihad my leave all worked out for the next six months, but now I have to go back to the boss and try to change it!!!!
The problem was that although I was going to a couple of inter state contests here in Australia, I had NOT planned to attend the Masters in Shepparton, Victoria.
So now I get my Australian Pattern Association News Letter in the mail, and in it there is a news flash" Jason Schulman is coming to the Nats and the Masters".
There is no way that I'm going to miss meeting Jason and seeing him fly in person!
Oh well, better go buy the boss a nice bottle of wine from the Barrosa valley and start wheeling and dealing, it's great that Jason is coming over so we have a chance to see pilots that we have read so much about here on RCU. Matt
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Jetdesign

When you guys pull into a half-reverse cuban then roll, do you need to put in down elevator before the half roll is complete, or should a properly trimmed plane be able to complete the half roll before needing any elevator input to maintain the 45 degree line?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Joe,

A lot will depend on how quickly you roll. As you progress through the ranks you will actually learn to use a little top rudder as you roll to maintain the line. If you get a significant drop, you might want to shift your CG aft just a little..when you roll inverted on a 45 you want a little drop, but not a huge amount. If you roll quickly you will see less of a drop through the roll. if you roll slowly, try adding a little top rudder through the half roll.

Arch
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Jetdesign

How hesitant should I be to mount a li-ion (camera battery type) battery under my fuel tank? I need just over 2oz of lead in the nose of my plane with the battery on the battery tray. For some reason I'm not totally excited to mount the battery (practically on) the fuel tank.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
BERUSTY

Post all your "crappola" here...especially pictures of model trains!

You are reading this because you have some kind of interest in model airplanes and maybe you are even respectful of all things modeling or stuff created by modelers.

I have seen some pretty cool very detailed model airplanes, particularly the wonderful models in the AMA Museum. Each is special especially when one considers the planning, construction, detailing and sometimes...flight of these gems. I had an interest in model trains as a kid and had the 4 x 8 plywood "N" gauge mini city that offered hours of enjoyment.

I was invited to visit the home of a "Master Model Railroader" over the weekend and was told that it was pretty cool. The experience was just unbelievable, unprecedented and has me still thinking about the treasure, one man, Bill Leider, has created. Bill is the 188th "Master Model Railroader" in the world and is listed in the Library of Congress. The honor is earned by acquiring (8) certificates on subjects including electrical, architecture, engineering.... His little train layout contained in the entire basement of his suburban Chicago home represents 40 years of work, 10 building the layout and 30 building ALL of the engines, cars and buildings from "scratch".

When I mean "scratch", I mean, buy brass, cut brass, work brass, paint...from personal drawings to work of art. The prize of the collection, is a steam engine requiring 20 YEARS to complete including over 500 engineering drawings. He has chosen "O" scale, 1/4" = 1 foot. The layout is a journey through actual places he has visited, recreated with buildings with completely tricked out rooms with clocks, signs set for a magical April day in 1955 @ 4:00PM. Hundreds of lights, an over-all lighting system.

The layout has a digital command center featuring locomotion and sound allowing very realistic movement, circling the perimeter of the basement with sitting areas and work shop areas in the center. Each railroad tie is hand painted with a dozen steps, gorgeous murals, buildings with hand made shingles...crazy, crazy detail.

The couple of photos show my family holding a copy of Model Railroader magazine in front of the bridge on the cover of the magazine. The second photo is of a working gantry crane, turntable with optical indexing and the special steam engine discussed above.

Chuck, my host for the visit, tells me that the layout is considered to be one of the finest in the country and most if not all of the engines and cars are some of the finest in the world, the steam engine apparently condidered one of the finest working "O" gauge models ever created.

Rusty Dose
Modeler First

Bill would make an excellent scale model airplane guy!

Name:	Ki18856.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1154507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79791.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1154508  
Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Jetdesign

Does the new YS FZ110s take the same diaphragm as the old FZ110?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Joe,

Yes it does, and it also shares it with the old .91's from what I can tell as well. You'll find that a lot of parts on these motors fit other motors, for example, there are some parts to even the 1.70's that are listed as 1.20 parts. Big difference.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Jetdesign

thanks. they have different part numbers so I wasn't sure.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Jetdesign

I have learned a very serious lesson, just because of the existence of this thread.

I went to Burger King today. I do not frequent fast food chains quite as much as the 'average American', though lately because of engineering school I've been going a little more. The past few times I went to Burger King I got 'the new' fries with my order. Now maybe some might call it insanity, but I kept ordering the fries expecting to like them. Sure enough, they were gross.

But today I had a revelation. Upon gazing at the semi-expansive dollar menu, my eyes wandered across a tiny little phrase..."onion rings, $.99" In 31 years that phrase meant nothing to me; it was merely an obstacle between my dollar size fries and the dessert I never ordered. But today, something was different. Today, I am a pattern pilot. I blog about fast food so that I may spend more time and money on the one things that matter most to me.

Today, my friends, I ordered onion rings. The perfect compliment to that delicious, artificially flame broiled flavored Whopper Junior. For $3.19 I indulged in the feast of a true pattern champion; the one who settles for nothing other than the classiest of the low-class. Today, my meal was NOT ruined because of a lame attempt at changing the unbroken Burger King french fry 15 years ago. For the 89 seconds it took me to inhale my miniature version of a feast of Kings, my tastebuds were saturated by a flavor created 60 something years ago somewhere on the New Jersey Turnpike.

JAS, thanks to you for creating this thread, and thanks to all my fellow patten pilots for blogging about what was once thought to be totally useless conversation so that I may never again have my $3.19 foiled by the Burger King french fry.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
cdodom

So how bout this Mcdouble mcdonalds has now, the difference between this and the double cheeseburger is one slice of cheese.lol

Chris Odom
Old 05-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Jetdesign

Check this out - not even a pattern meet! Could not have been a cooler day at the field...

Thanks Scott!

Name:	Bz78807.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1195390  
Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Jetdesign

Ok, I got 'ruined' this week flying my new Yak with YS FZ110s and 'better' servos than I've been flying with on my Venus.

I noticed that the YS 140 is not much more than the 110, and I don't think the 140 weights much more than the 120AX with muffler and extension.

So, will the 140 be too much for the Venus, and will it be enough for a larger (2M?) pattern plane? I will shot for buying one by the end of this summer if it makes sense
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Joe,

The YS 1.40 will work on some of the older designs, so if you pick up a used plane, you should be good. The new wide bodies it would be hurting, but on a plane a few years old, the YS 1.40 would be perfect.

Arch
Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Jetdesign

Default RE: Post all your

D1 is off to a good start. We had a seminar last weekend in Mass with 11 or 12 registered, and a seminar and season opener today in NJ with about 21 or 22 pilots.

Some really good competition today, with at least two of the classes being decided in the last round.

John Pavilic did a great job of dusting off the cobwebs and took his class.

I took second out of 4 in Sportsman despide a dead-stick on my best flight. The wind really picked up for the last round and I feel like for the first time ever I was able to maintain my line to an appropriate degree. Winning this final round moved me into second. Our class was won by a first-time competitor which was pretty exciting; I suggested he check out the intermediate schedule  ; )

They guys in NJ are really great, no matter what everyone else says  = )   I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some more new guys. Looks to be a promising summer = )
Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 AM
EscapeFlyer

My crappola:

I was planning to make templates for a Carl Goldberg Extra 300 kit because a giant airplane company bought Goldberg out and wiped it off the face of the earth. But then I also realized...What's the point? With the FAA starting to regulate us, I won't be able to use this kit for pattern anyhow. As far as that goes, pattern will change because of all the limitations. Flying straight and level with a dinky foamy with an electric motor kills it for me. I'm seriously considering getting out of the hobby.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
jlkonn

Brian!
NO!!!!!!!!
Please don't despair!
The FAA ARC is at this point a proposal.
Read the AMA "President's Perspective" column in the June issue of Model Aviation.
Hang in there and see you in two weeks!
JLK
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
mcdanman2003

Congrats on your 600. You must have been on fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.