Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

THis looks like a nice plane.....
But the cost of 400$ would keep me away....
I would rather go with a WOrld Models pattern plane for the same price..and it is a 1.20 size to boot.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

What cost $400?? 

I started building mine and hope to finish it by the weekend.   YS63 (not the S) on Hyde mount, Hatory header/muffler, Bolly Standard gear.

Decided to add 1/32 ply with carbon fiber to the plate where the muffler/LG mounts.  I did the same on the Oxalys after a gear plate failure. 

I will try to add some pictures later this week.

Ihncheol
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Brickhead

Thinn
Finally finished the Osmose 70. Using a Saito 82a and a Perry VP-20 pump, four DS821 servos for ailerons, rudder and elevator with a HS81 for throttle. I centered the fuel tank and changed the elevator, rudder and throttle installation. The battery, a five cell, 6v,is just rear of the wing. I am using a 6v regulator.Flys hands off with the CG at 215mm.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50723.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1215620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20020.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1215621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76898.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1215622  
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Brickhead

Thinn

Some more pictures of the servo / tank. Thanks again for your build thread and help in my completion of this great flying plane.

Name:	Yv65947.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1215629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54329.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1215630  
Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

What does it weigh, without fuel?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: PatternFlyer

What cost $400??
Ihncheol

http://www.shopkyosho.com/product/pa...r=11854B/410.0
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM
kochj

well, looked on ebay....240$ with a 55$ flat rate frm HONGKONG.....
Not so sure about that business end.....
If it gets here in 1-piece it would be lucky at most...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Brickhead

jonlowe

It weighs 6.83 lbs. on the digital scale. I am 1.13 lbs. over the reccomendation. Looks like Neanderthal Brickhead build tank plane. But I probably don't know any better as this is the first plane I have flown that flies like it is on rails and is smoothly responsive. I know the community can do alot better then I, as I put on an ultimate spinner with it's nut hardware. Larger wheels and fueled it out the side with all kinds of fuel filters including a VP-20 pump to feed the Saito 82a with a centered tank. Extra wood 2x4s to put things were I wanted. But what the hay. Flyers that know what they are doing assembling ARF's will really get the weight down and just might enjoy this Osmose 70.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM
okypolice

hi...i have osmose 70 GP too NIB..but,i want to setup this osmose with electric power..
Does anyone can help me,what is the best motor for my osmose?.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
PatternFlyer

okypolice,

You may want to check the Oxalys 50 thread. I believe there were several built as electric.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30..._1/key_/tm.htm

Also, download a copy of the Osmose EP manual and take a look at it.
EP version is 2 piece wing. A lot easier. I believe Oxalys 50 EP was one piece wing.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/manuals.php?category_id=2

Ihncheol
Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 AM
jonlowe

I find it interesting that the electric has a two piece wing, and the fuel powered one has a one piece. I wish the fuel powered one also had the two piece as it is easier to assemble at the field, as it would be a top loader also. The two planes share very little in major common components as a result.

Couple of questions. I assume the gear is painted aluminum and not composite? How tall is it from where it bolts to the fuse to the center of the axle? How swept back is it?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
PatternFlyer

Jon,

Osmose was designed for glow at the beginning. E-version came out later. Oxalys 50 E version failed to sell because of nearly identical build other than the belly/pipe tunnel area.

Stock gear is painted aluminum. Stock gear is 5-3/4" tall from the gear plate to the axle. Thrust line to gear plate is about 2", 2-14" swept back. (gear mounting holes to the center of axle)

I am using Bolly F3A standard gear on mine (about 1/4" taller, total around 1.5" wider) as I had one on short lived Oxalys 50.

Ihncheol
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
lennyk

I hope the Osmose has a real covering on it,
my Oxalys is peeling all over the place and pissing me off bigtime.
Doesnt help also the supplied fuel tank split with the YS tank pressure and dripped fuel all inside the wing
where the covering is disintegrating from inside.

nice flying plane though
Old 07-01-2009, 07:38 AM
jonlowe

I got mine yesterday from Esprit, $275, including shipping. Double boxed as others have mentioned, so zero damage. The covering appears to be Oracover/Ultracote, but I don't know for sure. It seems to respond to the same temperatures anyway. Had a few wrinkles that I ironed out. Quality seems good, although I wish the Chinese would take a few more minutes on finish sanding before putting on the covering.

My plans are to use the new YS .70 if it will be available soon, or possibly a .63S if not. JR DS8421sa's on ailerons, DS9411sa on elevator, and DS8411sa on rudder. I know the rudder servo is overkill, but I have one laying around. I will use a small Hitec digital on throttle. I ordered a carbon fiber landing gear from Hobby City to save weight, and will let you know how it works out. I intend to use DEPS for elevator control. I just installed DEPS in my 2 meter Pass Port, and it was super easy, light, and very stiff.

I'm practicing a lot for the Nats in a week and a half, so I will have limited time to work on this until after I get back.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
PatternFlyer

I just put an hold to the building of the Osmose 70.

I am out of luck on getting any plane up this year (three planes this year took way longer than necessary. Inspire 90 had ESC & Pack problems when it was ready to fly. ESC took 5 weeks to come back without any fix. Batteries been back to manufacturer 3 weeks without any response. Then, Osmose started without knowing the fuse problem.)

Factory mistake ended up with slightly curved fuse.

Tried everything I could on measurements (stab to wing, stab to aft wing fuse center, stab to fuse center in front of wing.).

Anyone know how to fix the bent fuse? (stab to wing has about 11mm difference if I set the stab parallel to the wing). Not sure about the vertical stab yet.

Waiting on response from Kyosho since they don't have part(s).

I agree with Jon on overing job. I will address Kyosho on blowing off the dust before covering. Lots of small bumps because of some kind of particles.

Other than the fuse, it seems to have better covering that Oxalys 50 although I didn't have any problem while it lasted.

So much waste for 4th of July FunFly.

Ihncheol Park
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 AM
mart o

Very interesting thread this and I've read it with interest as I've just got an Ozy. So far I've built the wing and am just starting on the fus with no great complaints other than it's a shame the under wing fairing has such large clearance at the ends. I'm going to try an OS82a in mine, I wanted the 70 but non available at Ripmax so I hope I don't regret carrying the extra weight. I hope also that I can mount the standard silencer without exiting through the side of the cowl. I thought like others have said that the spats are very thin to mount in the way Kyosho describe. I've epoxyed a small 1/8 ply plate on the insides and then redrilled for the 4mm bolt hole, hopefully this will last. I'm interested in any feed back of peoples experiences so please keep posting?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Thinn

Sorry for not updating this thread..
The Osmose has been hanging on the wall since the spring/summer finally arrived. Summer time is competition time, hence not "playing around with 50-size toys"-time Maybe I'll take it out for a spin someday.. It is a really nice, little plane!

I have flown the Osmose approx 15-20 flights total, and done a few minor things:
- Set the rudder deflection down to an absolute minimum in normal flight mode (really helps smoothen the flight!)
- Altered the wing incidence (unfortunately not test-flown after this..)

I found that however much I altered the CG, the plane still dove drastically inverted. Trying to fix this by altering the wing incidence a bit.
I've also bought 200L of Methanol, so fuel will not be an issue the coming year(s)...

Really nice to see other Osmoses coming together as well!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
mart o

Thanks for the update Thinn, out of interest what incedence are you aiming for? I haven't glued the stab yet but it's coming out at -3/4 without any adjustment.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Thinn

ORIGINAL: mart o

.......out of interest what incedence are you aiming for?
I have not yet tried it, so I'm just going to tweak until I'm satesfied. I'll measure it then
Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 AM
mart o

Stab is now glued, tail wheel has been put together and fixed on. I'm still worried about the wing incidence, Kyosho are very precise in the manual on setting up the dihedral but no mention of incidence. Build is not likely to continue very fast whilst the kids are on holiday but I'll keep sneaking an hour or two in.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
mart o

[img][/img][img][/img]
An update on the installation of the FS82a. Generally gone in OK but there is not a lot of clearance between the intake velocity stack and the firewall although the fuel lines can be routed through the pre cut hole without kinks. An opening has had to be cut in the cowl for clearance of the rocker cover. Using the suplied silencer I have managed to keep it in cowl with the adition of a 90 degree header and although functional I don't think it looks nice. I'm sure the 70 would have gone in easier but lets wait untyil its finished and flying before full judgement day.

Name:	Vt56326.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1263669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41999.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1263670  
Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 PM
PatternFlyer

ORIGINAL: mart o

Stab is now glued, tail wheel has been put together and fixed on. I'm still worried about the wing incidence, Kyosho are very precise in the manual on setting up the dihedral but no mention of incidence. Build is not likely to continue very fast whilst the kids are on holiday but I'll keep sneaking an hour or two in.

I believe if you set the dihedral as in the manual, the incidence will be same a factory setup.

I am still waiting for 2nd replacement fuse.

Looks like it will be next year when I actually fly the Osmose.

IP
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
jonlowe

Actually, if you set the dihedral the way the manual says to, you will get adverse roll coupling in knife edge, which says it needs more dihedral. I've built two of these now (don't ask), and on the first one I followed the manual and it had the adverse roll. On the second, I just joined the wings as they are made, butting the two halves together, taking whatever dihedral it gave me (more). No adverse roll couple on this one.

I'm running a YS .63S with a Hatori header and pipe on a Hyde mount. I'm still playing with props, but a 13x6 APC seems to work well with 30% nitro, and slows the plane down some on downlines. I bought the 160 mm CF landing gear from Hobby City, and lost over an ounce in the process. The sweep back on the gear is identical to stock, and the track is a little narrower. It is stiff enough for this plane, but gives enough on landing to not overstress the gear mount. On my second one, in order to get the CG back, I am using a couple of tiny digital servos from HC in the back for elevator. The first one weighed 5.5lbs, and the second, 5.6 lbs.

This is by FAR the best small pattern plane I've ever flown. It can do anything the big ones can. It does well in wind. It won't replace a 2m plane, but it does very well and is a lot of fun.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 PM
PatternFlyer

Jon,

That is interesting. Is there any coupling required?
I may just build a 2nd kit that I have. Kyosho just told me another 6 weeks before getting me a replacement fuse.

Ihncheol
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
jonlowe

I think you mean mixing, not coupling! There is a slight pull to the canopy in one direction and belly in the other that I take out with mixing. No roll coupling at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.