Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Stand

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stand

I always liked the Japanese stands they show in there websites and spent months trying to find and buy one. When I did I found them to be prohibitively expensive. I also didn't care for the fact they wouldn't adjust for different fuse width's. So after a few months of scratching my head and cutting wood and throwing most of it away I've come up with what I think is a great stand for our purposes.

I've designed the stand to work as a bench tool or a field assembly/workstation. It's tall enough to work on our models standing up or sitting down. It's strong enough to use to start the plane with but I wouldn't want to do a full power run unless someone was helping hold the airplane.

The design is done so this stand can be used in a trailer or van as a transport base as well. It collapses down to 3" thick, weighs 15 pounds and can be set up in under 10 seconds.

The plan is to possibly make a short run of these if there is any interest. I will be sending out a few to Beta test.
[img]
By Wrench1[/img]
[img][/img]
[img][img=http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8886/dsc0216ud3.th.jpg][img]
By Wrench1[/img]
Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: New Stand

I will not leave my plane on this stand when the wind is 30 - 40 kmh or more !!!

Regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

I'll be happy to be a Beta tester!

JLK
Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
amram

I will also be glad to beta test it.
Amram Leshed
F3A Israel
Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Mastertech

ORIGINAL: najary

I will no leave my plane on this stand when the wind is 30 - 40 kmh or more !!!

Regards,

Isaac Najary
In a 25 mph wind the plane would leave the stand on it's own. The stand would sit right there waiting on you to collect the plane from down wind somewhere. If someone was using a stand in a 25 mph wind I'd have to wonder about your sanity.

I have had it out in a 15 mph wind and it's just fine.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Hey, Mastertech
Your stand looks great, I'm not going to wait on a Beta Test, what is the cost.
The Japanese stands are outstanding, an the price is high. A friend of my, order
5 ea, shipped to California the cost was $1175 dollars. So e-mail my to let me know
the cost and shipping

Thank's
Old 10-04-2008, 01:23 PM
amram

Dear Mastertech,
In 2nd thought I also no need beta test. Tell me the price and its total weight and will straight it right away.
Regards
Amram Leshed
F3A ISrael

my private email: [email protected]

Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
flybyme

There is interest here, too. Would love to Beta Test or purhcase if reasonable............let me know
Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Mastertech

The Beta testers have already been selected and notified. I hope to have the first run ready to ship by the middle of November. Seeing is we're in the beginning of the beta testing it might be a bit longer. I used the prototype again today and it works well but I think I can make it better. I'll have a couple of them at the D2 Championship on the 18th. I hope to get feedback there and make those changes for the production run. Cost is always a concern and we're trying to refine the design and building process to keep the cost down. Ease of use and sturdiness is paramount. The stand must also not be easy to damage an airplane on. I don't care how it's designed you put and airplane in it and push down hard enough you're going to crack something.

I bought a stand over 15 years ago and at the time ($150) I thought the price was very high but having used it for those 15 years it was really cheap in the long run. The problem with the other stand was it wasn't very user friendly, big and heavy. These stands are being made of Oak for longevity. I assure you you can put 100 pounds on this stand with ease.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Balsawings

Very Impressive looking stand. I'm very interested. Just waiting to hear what your price is.

Bob Cox
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 PM
amram

$150 testing Balllon was OK assuing it is not very heavy and easy to fold and comfortable in use.
Please include me in November shipment and tell me if advance payment is necessary as well as paymned method.
Amram Leshed
F3A Israel

[email protected]
Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tim,

SWEET! I would like one, PM me let me know the details on how to acquire one. PM me anyway have news to tell you

Regards,
Bill Holsten

Fliton Team Pilot & Field Rep.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Might I make a suggestion.

Put velcro straps on the holders so that you can strap the fuselage into the stand. It would be nice for loading into a vehicle as it could be used to retain the aircraft inside the car/truck.

On the base of the legs, weld a washer or small ring, so you can stake the stand down to the ground preventing tip-overs or wind damage.

The wheel holders, should have pockets/chocks to keep the plane from rolling back and forth on them.

Looks nice, I like it.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
AmericanSpectre505

I,..IMOP think its' a great design! However, I was thinking the same thing, since my plane rides in the back of the truck and it moves around, even ropped down. That's something extra someone could do for personal preference's A good suggestion it is!

Bill Holsten
Team Fliton
Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Mastertech

The legs easily take a stake to hold it down as they are. We will be shipping these stakes with the stand.

I've been looking at a way to hold the airplane down to the stand for transport. Using the upright around the fuse doesn't look like a good option, at least in the front. I'm working on something to wrap around the gear. Simple Velcro will probably be the answer. The wheel supports will be adjustable in height and I think we made them long enough not to require forward/aft adjustment. Once adjusted properly the wheels will take most of the weight of the airplane rather than the fuse bottom.

On my Proline the clear canopy is right at the front upright. This wouldn't be a good option to run a strap over that. Not only would it possibly dent the canopy the way it's sloped the hold down would loosen during travel. Whatever I come up with must be easy to use, not damage the airplane and not interfere with the use of the stand.

We're looking at a street price of around $150 plus shipping.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 AM
serious power

Hi,
Can I suggest that you make it more suitable for an inverted model as all one piece wing models invert for assembly and battery installation,if electric. Also most maintenance is carried out on an inverted model.

Brian
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Mastertech

Hi Brian

I'm welcome all suggestions, my Proline is a one piece wing. I find it spends far more time sitting in the stand upright for storage. Sitting in it upside down for assembly or maintenance has not proven so far to be a problem.

Tim