Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

EZ Mystic .30...which 4-stroke should I use??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

EZ Mystic .30...which 4-stroke should I use??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:54 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Mystic .30...which 4-stroke should I use??

Hi guys. Just purchased an EZ Mystic .30 from a gentleman on RCU. I'd like to use a 4-stroke engine for this one. It calls for a 40 to 48 size in the instructions. My question is, what would be the best one to use? I have tons of experience with 2-stroke engines, but I've never owned a 4-stroke.

Thanks in advance!

Spence
Old 06-16-2003, 08:22 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built an EZ Sukhoi .30 several years ago and installed an Enya .53 in it. IMHO, the match is perfect. The engine balanced the model right on the money and provides unlimited vertical performance.

John
Old 06-16-2003, 10:41 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice John!

Spence
Old 06-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Spence..

Take a look at the Saito .56 as another option. It's a little lighter than the Enya with muffler installed (not much though).

-Doug
Old 06-17-2003, 08:41 AM
bla bla

I've been running a modified Lanier Extra 3.25 with an Enya .41 4 banger for donkies years. That engine, no longer available unless you seach the hobby shops is an absolute GEM! Its beautifully constructed, never misses a beat, is small, compact and light weight and has enormous power. Swinging a 11.x7 APC it propelles the extra verticaly in a manner that my YS.1.40/4.5kg F3A aeroplanes can only dream of.
A craker, if you can find one...buy it.
There's nothing to compare.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:40 PM
gregusan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: EZ Mystic .30...which 4-stroke should I use??

Bla Bla: I've never heard of the Enya 41. Is this a really old engine? Is it in the same case as the 46 & 53?
Do you know how much it weighs, and how much your Lanier Extra wieghs, RTF with this engine? [:-]
Old 12-14-2003, 06:51 PM
gregusan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: EZ Mystic .30...which 4-stroke should I use??

Smaze: Do you still have the EZ Mystic 30? Do you have the documentation for it? I also got one used years ago, and am just now putting it together. However, I'm having a hard time guessing at the balance point, because of the double tapered wing. What I have done, is calculated 33% from the leading edge, at the center of the wing, and at the tips, and then use the average of the two.

Using this method, it is nose heavy with a Webra Speed 32, with DynaMix carb, and spinner. The tuned pipe is on the balance point, so doesn't affect it. I'm planning to elimate the control rods and use JR mini servos at the tail, for rudder and elevator. This way, it balances.

I think this plane was heavy for it's size, at 4.4lbs RTF (dry) with a full size radio. I'm putting mini or micros on everything in mine, with a 1.8oz 600mah NiMh RX battery, ant it's coming out under 4 lbs. now. That's with two micros (.65 oz ea.) on the ailerons, set up for flaperon mixing. The retracts work fine with an old junky Aristocraft/Hitec 1.0 oz. micro servo.

Looks like it will fly great at this weight, esp. with Speed 32 on tuned pipe, 9x7 apc.

Regarding a four stroke, the other recomendations are good, but the extra wieght may make it nose heavy, unless you also move the servos and battery to the rear. My experience is, a Saito 50, 56 or equivalent will take a 4.4 lb plane vertical, but not unlimited (if that's what your looking for).