Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SL1A

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SL1A

Hi
I have an untouched SL1A kit sitting in my loft and I have occasionally toyed with the idea of building it for elelctric. It has the odd challenge such as the plane was designed for retracts and a fixed gear would be better also the undercarriage legs would need to be lengthened for the bigger diameter electric props. but nothing insurmountable.

Any of the modern era outrunner motors should pull it with ease. My stumbling block with the idea is how competitve would such a plane be at a modern F3A event bearing in mind the rules have changed considerably since the SL1A was designed.

So my question is to the old hands who may have owned, seen or flown one. How do you think it would fair? I am currently flying Intermediate and the plane should fair okay in that category without question but I am thinking long term. How far up the schedules could it go without leaving me at a handicap.

Mike

ps this questionis toanswer to my other half who keeps asking me " why do you want to buy another plane when you have a kit you havent touched" SIlly woman !!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: SL1A

I know it would be competitive at least through advanced and could probably do a decent job at Masters. It was a good flying plane back in the day. Pretty high speed by today's standards. The only place I think it would lack would be in the rolling manuevers, like the rolling loop. It would also take some good throttle control to keep it in the box.

Just my thoughts,

Tim
Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

I campaigned one in FAI quite a bit a few years ago. I had upgraded to a Sport YS140 with a 17" prop. Three-point takeoffs and landings were required, but consistantly possible. Torque steer was considerable.
It was well-used and out-of-date when I got it, so usually talked trash about the poor thing. In retrospect, though, it was one of my best planes and seldom gave me any problems. All-in-all, I considered it a good workhorse pattern plane with low maintenance.
I eventually sold it to a friend who, distracted by a spectator's questions, neglected to install the wing bolts. RIP
Making it electric would be a string of challenges. If I had one in the box, I'd go with the 140 and retracts.
-Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65214.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1203679  
Old 05-22-2009, 03:51 PM
mikehannah

hi

I am curious.  I dont think it would be that big a challenge to go Electric with it or am i missing something.

M

Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM
grotto2

Well, you absolutely can't build heavy. So you're bound to be better off having a kit that's designed to be electric to start with.
The SL-1 almost falls into the category of a classic now, and ten years from now it may be highly desirable by the retro folks, IMHO. I'd save it for that.

All that being said, make up a spreadsheet of real weights and see if it's possible to make 5kg.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll have much trouble making weight.  My brother has one with a YS 1.20NC that is 9lbs, 9 oz and it is over 10 years old now.  It was built by Dave Guerin in the later 90's. 

It is still a good flying plane.  Realistically it is probably capable for being competitive up through Advanced.  Masters might be a little tough as this new sequence really needs a plane that can fly slower.  While not old enough to be in the "ballistic" category, it still liked to fly with a little speed, especially rolling maneuvers as it doesnt have much side area.  Also, doesnt snap or spin all that well because of the huge wing and stab, but it is still a very good flying airplane.

Making it fixed gear will be a bit of a challenge as there isnt a lot of room up front to fit the gear into with the way the belly pan fits.

Arch

Old 05-23-2009, 04:27 PM
mikehannah

Hi
Thanks for everyones input so far.Please keep your comments coming.
If i did decide to go the fixed gear route i would install it in the wing.

As regards power plant, i am not adversed to glow but as i do a large proportion of my flying alone having an electric plane makes life far safer.

At the moment i am at the considering my options stage.

Mike.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Jeff Page

Ron

I remember you cleaning up with the SL-1 in Florida. Iwas giving them hell with an Escape in Advanced-heavy like a tank and under powered, but was one of the straitest flying airplanes Ihave ever owned.

Jeff Page
Aledo TX