Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Engine for Hangar 9 Aresti 40

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 08:58 PM
Jon Mead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for Hangar 9 Aresti 40

I have just bought an H9 Aresti, and was wondering about engine choice. Having searched the forum for threads on this plane, most people seem to be using a 46FX or a Saito 72. I have got an OS70FSII, which I think is a bit heavier than the Saito, and I'm worried that this will make the plane too nose heavy. I plan on changing the metal mount for a glass/ nylon one, which will help some, but I'd like to know if there is anyone out there who has used the OS70, and their experience of getting the plane to balance.

All the best

Jon
Old 06-22-2003, 10:23 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Engine choice ?

I flew one with a YS-63 and that was a really nice combination. Since you have the OS 70 take a look at the weight differences and make a decision. I would try an Irvine 0.53 in the 2 Stroke category as it's in the same case as the 0.40 and 0.46 engines.

EXCAP232
Old 06-22-2003, 06:05 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Default Engine for Hangar 9 Aresti 40

Jon,

I have been flying and competing in Sportsman Pattern with the H9 Aresti. I made a couple of modifications that I think help it.

Engine is a YS 63.
Prop 10x9 @ 11,400rpm.
Engine Mount is Dave Brown 46 size.
Fuel tank is pulled back over CG.
Total weight 5lb 7oz

I would only recommend the YS 63 if moving the tank over CG. By moving the tank I have great ground control with no tendancy to nose over. The DB mount also allows the engine to be mounted closer to the firewall. This also help with CG. My CG is at the aft limits and I intend to move t back just a touch more. I ahd to add about 2 degrees more of right thrust and a 1/4oz to the right wing.

If you would like pics let me know. The plane flies great and will easily perform Sportsman. It is fast and I rarely use full power unless pulling into a vertical.

Good luck...

Larry