Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern Kit Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 AM
cvause

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern Kit Decision

I have a Kaos that a fly all the time and I want to start flying contests in the Sportsman class, but I want to move toward a more modern pattern model. I am also looking for my next kit build.

Since I'm on a ~$400 budget,I was going to get a Venus and have fun flying that, but I would rather build a kit than an ARF. So, I'm looking at the Insight or Epsilon kits and then taking my time to build as I continue to fly the good old Kaos.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the Epsilon, Insight, or other pattern kits? I would also be interested in engine recommendations, but those ususally run down the 120AX / YS110 or 140 road pretty quickly.

I would love a Black Magic, but it's currently not in the budget. (Come on NSRCA NATSraffle!)

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Pattern Kit Decision

I'll say up front, Ihave a bias toward the Insight and am good friends with the designer.....

The Insight is a solid pattern plane design, and is perfect for the situation you are in. First, it is a top notch flier and cancompete inany class through Masters. The construction is straight-forward,strong,light, and tough. This is a great formula for success in your first venture into a full 2m pattern ship. You would have to try really hard to build this thing anywhere near the weight limit and it willperform well on a budget YS140 Sport or an OS160. The simple, woodenconstruction will allow you to "ease" into some of the more daunting parts of a pattern kit build, like sheeting foam.

My 2 cents......Richard
Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

You're definitely the sort of person I'd LOVE to see win this kit!!!! A basic VF3 kit is $454 shipped, but you still need a few more things. It's cheaper than most, but it's not dirt cheap. The other side of that equation is the power needed...it's HUGE and draggy. An OS 160 is minimum. However George Miller has been expirementing with a gas converted OS 160 and it has plenty of power.

You couldn't go wrong with an Insight. It's a slightly older design but they do fly great. It also requires less power. That would be my vote if a VF3 is out of range at the moment. in fact if you're on a tight budget, it's my first choice.

Good luck!
-Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Mike, how is the .110 size comming?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Still on hold. Will be until after the Nats. I have no plane and I can't stand it!

-M
Old 06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
cvause

Mike,

Thanks for the good thoughts. I can assure you that one day I'll build a Black Magic. That thing is just too sweet.