Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New to pattern flying

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
spencer321
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to pattern flying

Hey i was wondering what would be a good plane to get my feet wet with pattern. i have the building know how and some flying skill its just a matter of finding a plane that suites the needs of pattern flying. So if you guys could leave some suggestions that would be much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New to pattern flying

How big do you want to go? .40, .60, .90, full 2 meter? The beauty of pattern is you can get into it and compete at just about any budget.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

There are several nice looking deals in the buy and sell adds right here on RCU. I am also new to pattern and have just a couple seasons under my belt in sportsman and am moving to intermediate next season. I would buy a good used full 2M that uses the type of motor you are familiar with.
RC
Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to a couple of contests and "Run Whacha Brung". Practice with what you already have and see if you pattern. At a contest you will see a variety of planes in spotrtsman and other classes. You will see how other sportsman handle the sequence with the plane they have. After 2 contests you will get an idea of the type of plane you will want to continue with.

Glen
Old 11-08-2009, 03:35 PM
RC11

Glen also makes a great suggestion. My son started out flying an old beat up UCANDO to get his feet wet. If you are determined to get a pattern specific plane I would go with a good used 2M but flying anything you have is probably a better idea. At St.Clairsville last year my friend Dave Ruminsky flew his first pattern contest with a 1/2A sized electric powered Mustang in 20mph winds!
RC
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
spencer321

Wow guys thanks for all the information. In sportsman class can you run any size plane and my budget is tight but i have a ys 110 nib that i can use and some digi servos so i could probably do something with that.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 PM
RC11

Your more than half way there. Venus II has been popular at our field and at other contests too. Good fit for that motor if you run some nitro. Most Contest Directors will let you fly anything you have in any size. Don't waste to much time building the perfect plane. Get or put something together that will work and burn some fuel!
RC
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
spencer321

sounds good
Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Venus II with a YS 1.10 flies pretty nice! Take the time to trim the plane out properly and you will have a lot of fun with it. I'm switching to electric power and getting a different plane, and I already miss my Venus. It is capable of winning Sportsman and Intermediate (at least more capable than I am).
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Joe,
You're more than capable of winning Sportsman if you could just find a power system that you can work with. I hope the electric works out for you. It would be nice to see you fly instead of fiddling with engines all the time.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic, Tech-Aero Designs
Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Abv0377

I'm new to pattern also and I've purchased a World Models SpotOn 50, got a Thunder Tiger 75FS for it. I may be maidening it tomorrow morning if weather is well. Ill let ya know how it goes. All in all its a nice looking plane at a good price and has had some good reviews.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: spencer321

. . . i have a ys 110 nib that i can use . . .
Wow is right. That alone gives you a lot of options. There are a lot of entry level planes that that is the perfect engine for.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 PM
lojik

I'm also new to pattern flying, I went for a Kyosho Osmose 70 with a .75 2stroke, Was on a tight budget as well and my LHS did me a deal for NZ$1200 for everything excluding tx. I think that's about US$850. It wont work with a 110ys but there are plenty of models out there that will, the spot on 120 is a possible choice if your really on a tight budget. Depends what's available at your LHS or if you can get something freighted for cheap.

That's one thing that sucks about NZ, not many choices, its either what your LHS has or is able to bring in or paying out the ass for international freight.