Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Questions from a Pattern Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a Pattern Flyer

(I figure I ask enough questions and felt bad taking over the crappola thread)

I just got some Rx batteries with 16 gage wires but no connectors. What is the right connector to use, to plug into a regulator? It is for an electric plane so they will be plugged/unplugged every flight.

Tech-Aero regulators generally come with a JR female connector, but it seems like 16ga wire is too big for [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPNU0&P=7]that type of connector[/link] (they are for 20-30gage). I can ask Ed to install a different connector, or replace the connectors when I get the regulators.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Questions from a Pattern Flyer

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I just got some Rx batteries with 16 gage wires but no connectors. What is the right connector to use, to plug into a regulator? It is for an electric plane so they will be plugged/unplugged every flight.

Tech-Aero regulators generally come with a JR female connector, but it seems like 16ga wire is too big for [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPNU0&P=7]that type of connector[/link] (they are for 20-30gage). I can ask Ed to install a different connector, or replace the connectors when I get the regulators.
Joe:
The reason there is 16 AWG wire on those batteries is so that when used with an ESC and a motor for pulling an airplane around, that it will be able to deliver the higher current loads with minimal voltage drop. The kind of current demanded by servos in a Pattern airplane is quite low by comparison. It's no issue at all to adapt the heavier gauge wire to a connector into a regulator. The best way I can recommend is to use Deans mini connectors. If you want, you can send me the batteries when you place the regulator order and I will do the soldering for you on the battery side of things.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Jetdesign

Can anyone recommend a good scale, maybe with a link? I want to start weighing my planes and components.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Can anyone recommend a good scale, maybe with a link? I want to start weighing my planes and components.
What maximum weight and in what units do you want it to read, Joe?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Here's a scale at a good price http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=11742235
Old 11-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Jetdesign

Since planes must be under 5kg I figured I'd need at least that for a limit. I was wondering what other guys are doing as far as weight limit and resolution. Went to local Walmart, Staples, and a few other places and none of them had an appropriate scale.

I'm getting ready to get out of this state

I'm hoping my next project after the Wind 110 is a kit, or at least a 2M electric plane. I want to learn how to plan and measure everything to do it right and stay under weight.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 PM
JoeSpitfire
My Feedback: (18)

Joe,

Here's a scale that will weigh up to 7kg and won't break the bank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MY-WEIGH-7001-PO...item35a4a65952

Joe B.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,

I use two scales. This one which has a 2 gram resolution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASHIP-35-DIG...item35a4a6bd6d

and then I have a smaller more accurate gram scale for mixing epoxy or weighing items up to 1kg in .1gr increments.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks guys, just ordered one.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
1bwana1

I second the use of Deans mini-connectors, but why would you plug/unplug after every flight. Why not run through a charge capable switch? Much easier, and more convenient.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

I second the use of Deans mini-connectors, but why would you plug/unplug after every flight. Why not run through a charge capable switch? Much easier, and more convenient.
I know. I asked what the guys in my Division were running and found many choose the dual regulator setup for light weight, and since the canopy comes off and batteries get unplugged after each flight anyway. I like to have a similar setup to them for field support.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Jetdesign

What are some good kits to look at for a first build? I was looking at the CA Epsilon but it seems like they do quite a lot of work for you with sheeted wings and pre-built stabs.

Does it make sense to start with a smaller, cheaper kit for a first build? I imagine so...