Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting

What shaker can paints are nitro resistant?i do not have access that allows "spray gun" type procedure.i plan on using 5 to 10% nitro.what shaker cans are nitro proof? thanks for all input!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Gungadin

Default RE: Painting

Ultracote Paint or Chevron Perfect paint is OK with low nitro. The operative word is fuel "resistant".
Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

I have used Rustoleum many times. Depends on the color as to the degree that it is fuel resisent. Black,white,blue, yellow and red are reasonably resistent to up to 15% nitro. I have planes years old that still look decent. Silver is a no no. Make a test plate and give it ample time to dry.Then put the fuel to it for your test. When they say recoat in an hour or let it dry for 2 days before recoating, believe them. Rustoleum is a cheap way to get a decent finish and is easy to work with and very forgiving. It can get heavy so one wet coat that flows out well is a good place to stop.
Good luck,
RC
Old 01-01-2010, 09:18 PM
RC11

Goggles,
Is Williams AFB still operating? I was there in the late 70's.
RC
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

Hey RC11 and thx for the replies fellas.....williams afb is no longer a govt run facility.many civil aerospace biz are the,couple of regional transport and az state university has classes there in the dorms.fighter town usa,and a biz that flies a4 skyhawks.cessna biz jet etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM
RC11

Ahhh..... Tubin down the Salt and divin naked off Coons Bluff!!!! Brings back such sweet memories. Outside of the time I tried to make a paraplegic out of myself finding the bottom was closer than I thought. The wonders of Budweiser!
Good luck with the Rustoleum...
RC
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Radio South has some great paints and can provide a spray-can type sprayer:
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/Matching_Paint.htm
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

Hey grotto2 thanks for that tip...very interesting and i like it alot. Hi RC11 jumpin off da bluff huh lol consider yourself fortunate,and i think you do.That bluff has jack up quite few people.az has alot of beautiful sights and outdoor things to do.kinda wish the summer wasnt sooo hot.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
RC11

Enjoy your heat. Its a dry heat isn't it? I used to hate to hear that. Its 10 degrees here. I remember hearing on the radio that it was 117 one day. I envy you guys that can fly all year!
RC
I have used the Preval set up and much prefer regular old Rustoleum. I have seen some beautiful planes done in it. My PHD chemist buddy uses it and he is the most maticulous person you can find.
Best to you Hope to visit AZ again some day. I was born at Ft Huachuka in Chochise county 52 years ago but have lived here in OH for 50 of them.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

auto zone truck paint is up to atleast 15% nitro painted serveral planes with it no problems
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

Autozone truck paint huh?.......i will try sample that ans some rutoleum colors.great idea guys and thank you.dry heat huh lol yeah its dry alright you betcha as in broiler dry.and as for me i dont fly all the year round.tried that once and was just too harsh.the middle of aummer here is my winter as you have.its the time i ont hang outside much for concern of spontaneous combustion.just too darn hot,air gets really thin etc.so i use the summer to build now.unless i fly early in the morning but believe i am at home by eleven as by that time we are topping 100deg and climbing. may i suggest we all wear good sunglasses to prevent uv burns to the eyes.i pfrefer the urich brand.and yes i did get sunburn on the eyes from wearing cheap sunglases. cheers.