Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Pattern contest... what makes it worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern contest... what makes it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern contest... what makes it worth it?

I was wondering (kinda like the Nats thread), what makes it worth your time and money to travel to a local pattern contest? What things would you like to improve on if you could?

Friendships and hanging out shooting it?
The flying?
The competition?
The results?
The trophies?
The raffle prizes (if any)?

Expand, am curious about it.

For me, it's being able to go a day early (most times) and help other pilots with setting-up planes and watching them fly their patterns and give pointers. Ocala was great for this as I was able to help about half the pilots there with something.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Pattern contest... what makes it worth it?

For me:

Friendships, the competition and getting away from the daily grind.

To be perfectly honest the order of enjoyment (what Idig the most) varies between friendships & competition depending on time of year and my level of preparation at the time. Sometimes Iknow I'm not in practice butjust go to hang out, however, I'd be lying if Isaid Ididn't totally enjoy the competition. Without competition it would just be a fun fly and that doesn't provide the same thrill for me.

Like Jason, Ialso enjoy helping others, especiallywhen Ican help someone coming through the ranks that's eager to learn and craving input. These are the types ofpeople that will double the enjoyment of the contest for me if I end upcalling for them and helping them through the weekend.

Keith B

Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 AM
bedowinn

For me (a beginner) its:
1) Watching the best pilots make flying look easy.
2) Seeing what the best equipment looks like and what their setup is. You can only learn so much from these forums and weekends at the kamakazi flying field (OK I love the basin).
3) Hauling out my gear and flying in front of judges with my peers.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got to contests for the chicks man.... girls DIG pattern dudes!

Tom M
Old 04-02-2010, 02:41 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Interesting question...

I'm a competitive person by nature and attending a pattern contest fills that void. I'm in the middle of the pack for Intermediate, ok...closer to the bottom, but Ienjoy the personal challenge to improve and do better.

However, more recently I will start attending contests again because...well...My wife is making me do it...VBG...

We enjoy the people and I have learned more about how to improve my flying skillsin attending Pattern Contest. It is also an escape from reality and the stresses of life, offering me something to look forward to during the summer months...
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I like going to a place with a bunch of good people with the same specialized interest that I have. I like seeing the top-of-the-line equipment and seeing the top pilots painting gracious figures in the sky. I like getting away for the weekend, being outside, and staying in a hotel. I also like, more than anything, getting some guidance with my setup and my flying - I am pretty alone here when it comes to precision setups and flying.

If I could change anything, it would just me more contests up north. I am lucky to find one within 3.5 hours, usually they are 5-7 hours away or more. I also wish there were more contestants in the lower classes.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comradery and competition.

I've only been flying pattern competition since 1974, but always enjoy looking forward to the next meet. I have competition experience in drag racing, trap shooting, marathon, triathlon, etc., but pattern folks are far and away the best! Most work hard to be competitive and (rightly) expect a pattern meet to be way more than a fun-fli / party. Real enjoyment comes from helping others get the most from their equipment and flying, swapping war stories, and flying to ones expectations. Of course were all technophobes to one degree or another and pattern is a great venue to pursue those interests, whether equipment or flying related.

Is it worth the cost? Absolutely! There are tons of other activities that are way more costly that provide way less enjoyment. The friendships that come from pattern are priceless!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Jason, your list with my rankings of importance;

1-Friendships and hanging out shooting it?
2-The flying?
3-The competition?
4-The results?
6-The trophies?
5-The raffle prizes (if any)?

You almost nailed it, except for the last two.

ExFokkerFlyer:

I got to contests for the chicks man.... girls DIG pattern dudes!

Tom
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I won a pair of Airtronics 94772 servos (raffle) at the last contest I flew in. Can't complain about that!! =)

I don't really like competition, but I really do like to win
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it's 4 things.
1) Competition - I practice hard then go to contest primarily to compete against myself. My goal is to always improve my raw score percentage regardless of how others do.
2) Different environment - As mentioned above I spend allot of time at my own field practicing. I love being able to fly at a different field every now and then.
3) Experience - Regardless of how the competition went (maybe the weather was not that great or maybe I didn't fly up to my expectations), the experience is very valuable to me and only strengthens my confidence when I return home. Last year I was at a contest the skys were threatening rain. Everybody before me flew under dark grey skies. When it was my turn to fly it started pooring rain. I looked over to the CD and he said "It's your choice" I took that to mean either I flew or I zeroed the round. Since I'm competeing against myself it was gut check time! I girded my loins, stepped up to the plate, turned aroun and told the judges "Lets Do It!" After the flight I felt great because I endured adversity and flew anyway.
4)The D6 culture - I just love the D6 culture. I'm very fortunate to be in this part of the country and fly with these guys.

Glen
Old 04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For me it is just as much social as it is the flying. I dig flying and flying in front of a judge gets that old knee knock going that it seems we all enjoy at least a little bit. But seeing old friends and the prospect of making new ones is the majority of the fun for me. Its a bunch of like minded folk doing what they enjoy!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I love going,

1. To get sunburned
2. See old friends
3. Make new friends
4. See how my equipment holds up
5. See how my skills hold up
6. Get sun burned
7. Get tired
8. Get a shower
9. Get the biggest rib eye I can find.
10. Get sunburned.
11. Fly the best I can and don't care where I end up.
12. Get help from those that fly better than I
13. Get help from those I fly better than.
14. See what stupid mistakes I can make.
15. Have fun.
16. Drive to the contest facing the sun
17. Drive home from the contest facing the sun.
18. Get sun burned.
19. Not crashing
20. Talk about all the stupid things we've done at contests over the last 30 years.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
mjfrederick

For me pattern has always been first and foremost about the people. The friends I have made along the pattern trail are some of the best people around, bar none! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the flying and the challenge of competition, but without the people it just wouldn't be as fun. Raffles and giveaways are nice, but give me a good party at the pilots' dinner Saturday night over any of that. It's worth it, even if it costs a little extra on the entrance fee. Outside of the contests, just the practicing with friends at the local club gets my pattern juices flowing every spring. Of course, I'm fortunate enough to have a club that's pretty much nothing but pattern flyers with one of the best designers/trimmers at my disposal, so that doesn't hurt either
Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the people...no doubt. There are a lot of people that are just cool to hang out with and are worth the drive and cash to see every now and then.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
1bwana1

I enjoy the people at the contestst  Great group out here in D-7.

I really like the competition as well.  The contests are what the practice is all about.  I really enjoy practicing, it gives me a reason, and discipline to fly.  the competition is what I am working for in practice, it is a holistic thing, one feeds off the other.

I too like to go out the day before, and practice at the contest field.  Flying in San Diego, the conditions are so consistant, almost always sunny, tempature is almost always the same, wind direction the same, wind speed the same.  I like the variety of different venues. 

I like the coaching I get from the more experienced guys.  I am new to Pattern, I fly advanced, and learn a lot when people coach and call for me.

I like seeing all the other planes, and setups, I learn alot.  I just can't figure out why anyone is still flying glow power.  LOL!

I like winning when it happens.

I hate zeros!!!!

I enjoy the dinners out with my pattern friends.

You guys have raffles, and win prizes?  I guess we don't do that in D-7. LOL!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: JAS

I was wondering (kinda like the Nats thread), what makes it worth your time and money to travel to a local pattern contest? What things would you like to improve on if you could?

Friendships and hanging out shooting it?
The flying?
The competition?
The results?
The trophies?
The raffle prizes (if any)?

Expand, am curious about it.

For me, it's being able to go a day early (most times) and help other pilots with setting-up planes and watching them fly their patterns and give pointers. Ocala was great for this as I was able to help about half the pilots there with something.
I go so that I can give Jason zeros when I see them .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................. Still waiting!!! (VBG)

MattK
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Planeclaims

Matt,

You should've been @ Ocala, FL last month. I understand the judges were awarding zero's to JAS left & right! Airplane refused to snap-roll or something along those lines.....LOL!

Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
tuny

A pattern contest anywhere is priceless!! for all the reasons that you describe!!!

I like it FAI style, I mean, model processing, sound checking, all of it, makes it more interesting!

take it form a guy that travels a lot juts to go to a pattern contest!!

Regards

TUNY
Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Planeclaims

Matt,

You should've been @ Ocala, FL last month. I understand the judges were awarding zero's to JAS left & right! Airplane refused to snap-roll or something along those lines.....LOL!

Steve
Ha!!

Personally, I want to see the return of "BOM" rule. Would level the playing field for us old f.rts.

MattK
Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
tater1

want to see how flight should look, artistry in the sky,see how installs should be done,what equipment performs,go to a pattern contest.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

JAS my hero!!!!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif]

lol
gary
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with everyone else[8D]

Also
I LOOOOOVVVEEEEE aviation, and the miracle of controlled flight. Nothing and I mean NOTHING flies like a pattern plane. Competing with one just comes naturally, it makes sense.

Not competing in pattern if you own a pattern plane (and everyone should) Is like having a souped up car and not pulling up next to some guy at a light and revving the engine. It's the adrenaline rush of putting your best against his/her best and seeing what happens. Pattern and competition are the essence of manliness (grunt grunt grunt), the preparation, the focus, the intensity, when I fly and compete it gives me a chance to learn something about myself in a competitive but friendly and supportive environment. There is nowhere to hide on the flightline! Do I have the mental toughness to be my best when the pressure is on, or will I crap out and land three maneuvers before the end of my pattern, or fuel the wrong airplane, or forget which direction I need to roll or which rudder to give. How do you know if you will choke under pressure without putting yourself in the pressure cooker? How can you improve your performance underr pressure without practicing under pressure (competition).

Oh, and the people aren't bad either! I love my pattern friends.

Damn I got myself all excited... Where's my wife... COME HERE WOMAN it's time for some low passes[sm=48_48.gif]

One other thing. Big time RC and by extension the pursuit of pattern is insane! No one but other pattern people understand what the hell is wrong with me to do this for fun.

Anthony
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: AAbdu

I agree with everyone else[8D]

Also
I LOOOOOVVVEEEEE aviation, and the miracle of controlled flight. Nothing and I mean NOTHING flies like a pattern plane. Competing with one just comes naturally, it makes sense.

Not competing in pattern if you own a pattern plane (and everyone should) Is like having a souped up car and not pulling up next to some guy at a light and revving the engine. It's the adrenaline rush of putting your best against his/her best and seeing what happens. Pattern and competition are the essence of manliness (grunt grunt grunt), the preparation, the focus, the intensity, when I fly and compete it gives me a chance to learn something about myself in a competitive but friendly and supportive environment. There is nowhere to hide on the flightline! Do I have the mental toughness to be my best when the pressure is on, or will I crap out and land three maneuvers before the end of my pattern, or fuel the wrong airplane, or forget which direction I need to roll or which rudder to give. How do you know if you will choke under pressure without putting yourself in the pressure cooker? How can you improve your performance underr pressure without practicing under pressure (competition).

Oh, and the people aren't bad either! I love my pattern friends.

Damn I got myself all excited... Where's my wife... COME HERE WOMAN it's time for some low passes[sm=48_48.gif]

One other thing. Big time RC and by extension the pursuit of pattern is insane! No one but other pattern people understand what the hell is wrong with me to do this for fun.

Anthony
Plus it's the only place that AA can wear his Sponge Bob Square Pants PJ's in public and get away with it. And I mean that Cat!

For me it's the place to be. It's unexplanable. I just have to be there. I'm fearsly competive and it allows me to show off my skills and gauge them against other crazy people who think the same way. This sport is so rare in it's mindset that you have to go to confirm your not alone in your insane passion. It's a Coo Coo's nest. The personality traits are so diverse too. The sport also has a diverse demographic and you get to establish some meaningful lasting relationships with some pretty special people.
Earl said it best. Pattern guys are a cut above average and you'll benefit in life from your association with them. Mike Mueller
Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
JAS

What kind of improvements would you like to see at a contest?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: JAS

What kind of improvements would you like to see at a contest?
DANCING GIRLS! (I'm not worried about the wife showing up)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.