Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Couplers???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couplers???

Where can you find good coupler material for 2C glow. I have a 3/4 header and 7/8 pipe and am forced to use the gray stuff because it will stretch to go over the pipe. Your lucky to get 25 flights out of it. Do you have some good options?

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM
cdodom

Default RE: Couplers???

RC11,

I believe this is where I ordered mine from when I used to run 2C. This stuff is very strong and fits very tight. (Make sure you zip tie and clamp down good because it will not bust.)
5/8" x 3"
http://www.rocketcityracing.com/prod...0&item_id=1433

1/2" x 3"
http://www.rocketcityracing.com/prod...0&item_id=1432

hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 PM
RC11

Thanks Chris,
The blue stuff sure does look like the Turbo hose I got for the Syssa 180. One problem I am having is the difference in diameters.
I may have a step down peice of aluminum. I may have to run 2 couplers.

Thanks for the site.
Rick
Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 PM
cdodom

Rick,

If I remember correctly I did the same thing. The material is high temp and works really well.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:49 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick:

I have bought coupler tubing from McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster-carr.com. On their site, do a search for tubing with PTFE, the search should yield two choices, plastic and tubing, select tubing. Once there, select single tubing. Once there, you can select the ID. The tubing is available in many different ID's. I have selected the 5/8 for my YS headers and they last quite a while. I have also used the PTFE on my OS 160 coupler. The teflon is very rigid and does not flex much in short lengths. The tubing is rated for a max temp of 500 degrees F. As a reference, the part numbers I have used are 5033K9. With regards to the two different size pipes (header and pipe, what we have done is to buy the tuding with an ID that fist the smallest pipe. To get the tubing to fit the larger pipe, simply heat the tubing, it will soften and this will allow you to place the softened and expanded tubing over the larger pipe. Might give this a try.

I have also just purchased some softer tuding, much like the gray or blue coupler from Macs or Aerotrend. I ahve yet to try it but the part number is 52035K38. This only has a temp rating of 275 F. It has been my experience that my couplers (the aerotrend, Macs stuff or this PTFE stuff) last a fairly long time as long as it is shielded from the heat by the header or pipe (i.e. I leave only about 1/16" or 3/32" spacing between the pipe and header. I continue to try the stuff from McMaster-Carr because the have a great selection and it is relatively inexpensive (one foot of the 5033K9 is about $7.50). Might order a few different types and see what works.

Hope this helps.
Ed
Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
RC11

Thankyou Ed,
Last night I had an epiphany. I ended up taking a 7/8" od aluminum coupler and JB welding it to the header. This alows me to use some of the blue turbo hose that works with gasoline temps and is still pliable.Now both header and pipe will accept the 7/8" reinforced silicone turbo hose. I also JB welded a ridge of a wire tie to the pipe and that with the flaired coupler end,
I fully expect to be able to just wire tie the coupler. The pattern guys are running this set up with the Syssa 180 on gas and having excellent luck. I thank you for the help and hope I can make this work.

Thanks again,
Rick