RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Defiant MKII (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/3869416-defiant-mkii.html)

tschmidt 02-04-2006 09:57 PM

Defiant MKII

1 Attachment(s)

Here's a few pictures of my Defiant MKII. I've been working on this mold plug for the last 3 or 4 months. It still needs a little work but the molds should be done sometime this month. Hopefully I'll have one flying by June or July.;)

Todd Schmidt

flyintexan 02-05-2006 09:25 AM

RE: Defiant MKII

That's beautiful work.

papaone 02-05-2006 10:35 AM

Hi
I like the design.
Awesome 'll be this plane.
A+

byoung466 02-05-2006 11:21 AM

Awesome work as usually Todd. You'll have it done just in time for the NATS...... :D

tschmidt 02-05-2006 11:38 AM

Thanks guys for you comments!

Hey Bian, good to hear from you, Still have a lot of work to do, might have one by NATS time. . . but probably not enough air time for proper set up. I'm looking forward to see how this one will compare to the current design I'm flying.

Todd

MHester 02-05-2006 12:20 PM

Wow that looks SWEET Todd! I hope you bring it to the Nats this year.

-Mike

tschmidt 02-16-2006 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The plug is ready to make a mold of. A few pictures of the parting plane for the first half of the main fuselage mold, and the main fuselage fitted into the parting plane. This is where you conclude you have a straight fuselage. Happy to say the fuselage centerline is dead on from the nosering back to the tail post. Now its time to wax/polish the plug to a class A finish and putty it into the parting plane.

After that, HOURS of back breakin fun begin!!:D

mups53 02-16-2006 10:11 PM

Thanks for the update. I've never seen the step by step process of making a mold and laying up a fuse. Very interesting. Mike

rgreen24 02-16-2006 10:36 PM

As Usual Todd, you do great work. I can't wait to see it.

tschmidt 02-26-2006 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few pics of the first half of mold construction.

1. A surface coat was put down first, which is a thick epoxy based paste I tinted green. Dark colors help you see air pockets when making parts. The surface coat provides a inside mold surface that is slick, shinny, and almost ceramic like.

2&3. First half of the mold removed from the parting plate. Now its time to wax and polish the flange in preparation of making the second half.

Todd

checksix 02-27-2006 10:02 AM

Todd,
Beautiful craftsmanship. What materials do you use to build the plug? Hot-wired foam? Strip planking?
--Derek

tschmidt 02-27-2006 01:22 PM

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your comments,

The plug is made from balsa and polyurathane foam. The plug started as a main box framed from balsa (front end of the canopy hatch to the tail post) The nose, fin, canopy, chin, top and bottom decks were shaped from poylurathane foam. All was glassed then primed with a catalyzed polyester primer.

I've completed first half molds on all three parts, hopefully be done building molds by next weekend. I'll keep the pics coming as the project progresses.

Thanks,
Todd

Clavy 02-27-2006 09:54 PM

A Birdy told methat you were going to sell fuselages and patterns for $50.00. Is that true? I'd like to order a couple .

tschmidt 02-27-2006 10:08 PM

Clavy,

You must of talked to a turd bird!:)

Todd

PatternPilot 02-28-2006 11:47 PM

Todd,

Sent you email thru rcu

Scott Anderson
NSRCA D3 AVP
Team Tanicpacks.com
Team PMA

tschmidt 03-05-2006 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, after about 30 hours and 3 gallon of epoxy the molds are finally done!!:D They came out really good. It's time to wax these puppies up and make an airplane!!

Todd Schmidt

iflyrctoo 03-05-2006 06:59 PM

Ok Todd..... Don't hold back. We want to see all the details of building too. That's one Beautiful Airplane!

Joe

Dave Harmon 03-06-2006 11:04 PM

Really, really nice work Todd.
I can't wait to see it fly.
This one is going to be even better than the original DEFIANT.

Best

Dave

gandelin73 03-07-2006 06:23 AM

Hi Todd,
yes it is a very nice plug and mold you have build here! Thanks to share your work on the forum with these beautiful pictures.
Regards

Guillaume

tschmidt 03-07-2006 01:44 PM

Thanks guys for your comments, I plan to post pictures of the build also. Hopefully I can do a fuselage layup this coming weekend.

Todd Schmidt

tschmidt 03-25-2006 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first lay up of the main fuselage and is ready to join together. I used glass cloth followed by kevlar, carbon, and foam.

Todd

gandelin73 03-26-2006 05:51 AM

Hi Todd,
nice job! I have just one question: what is the purpose of the foam? it will stiffen the fuselage but particularly in the middle, do you think this foam will be not weared with the time? Will you lay a glass cloth on this foam?
Thanks for your answer.

Guillaume

tschmidt 03-26-2006 09:34 AM

Hi Guillaume,

The foam serves as a stiffner and viber dampening. There is a layer of .75oz cloth over the foam which will protect it wear and increases its rigidity. The Defiant I fly now is layed up like this and has three seasons on it and is still in very good condition.

I'll post pics of the fuse once its out of the mold, everyone will see it's not going to be the pretty white fuselage like the ones produced by kit manufacturers. I didn't prime in the mold so this fuselage will be carbon black and kevlar gold.

Todd

gandelin73 03-26-2006 10:22 AM

Thanks for your precise reply, it is a really good idea to use foam to limit vibrations, thus improving the life of your aircrafts.
I'm very impatient to see the following photos.
Regards

Guillaume

tschmidt 03-26-2006 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, here's pics of the first fuselage out of the molds. It's not a pretty white one like you get in todays kits, but you can see what materials were used and where. I have a fellow who kits classic/ vintage pattern kits giving me info on how he makes white fuselages, so hopefully the future layups will look better.

Todd Schmidt