RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Looking for club near Cincinnati (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/9943011-looking-club-near-cincinnati.html)

Jetdesign 08-18-2010 02:40 PM

Looking for club near Cincinnati

Relocating from D1 to D4 and looking to join a club with some pattern guys near Cincinnati. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

petec 08-18-2010 02:44 PM

RE: Looking for club near Cincinnati

Contact Dave Johnstone D4 NSRCA VP....

ArchNemesis 08-18-2010 03:11 PM

Excellent!!! I'm in the Cleveland area but send me a private note and I can fill you in on all of the D4 contests remaining. The District Championship (best contest of the year by far) will be IN Cinci the third weekend of September at the Flying Cardinals flying field which is just south of the river in KY. Their web site is http://www.flyingcardinals.org/ Dave Johnstone referenced above is a member and flies FAI. They have several pattern fliers there.

Welcome! When are you arriving?

Mark Atwood

Jetdesign 08-18-2010 04:49 PM

Arriving sept. 11/12, not sure if I can fitthe plane on the first trip though. Will definitely try to show up at the contest though.

Strat2003 08-18-2010 07:29 PM

Bring your appetite to the contest...Saturday night they grille these steaks about the size of a lunch box...

flywilly 08-18-2010 07:55 PM

HI Joe,
I lived outside Burlington, VT (Jericho) back in the late '80s; short flying seasons, but great skiing! Moved on and ended up in Cincinnati from 1993 - 2001. I flew at the HAWKS field which had an east - west paved runway with the pilots facing north. You could fly all day!! The field has been slightly relocated, but maintains the same orientation. It is a GREAT place to fly. I don't know how many pattern fliers there are now (1 less, for sure :D ), but there were a few others at least back then. Enjoy Cincy - it is very family friendly with some good sports teams (pro and college), lots of great places to eat (I still miss Skyline chili and Montgomery Inn ribs), and pretty easy to get around for a big city, of course the skiing isn't as good, but the flying season is a lot longer.
The HAWKS field is north of the city, you can check the AMA website for clubs and locations.
Good Luck!
-Will B.

Jetdesign 08-19-2010 10:03 AM

Thanks a lot guys. Longer season is definitely what I'm after; winter lasting from October through May is getting old, fast! I'm really psyched to not be the only one in my state who flys pattern, and to have a contest within a few minutes drive. AND to live near NATS!

I will most likely bring something to fly, even if it's the Venus .40. But I did just order a trailer hitch and am looking at a trailer on Friday.

crankpin 08-19-2010 10:15 AM

I lived there from 1967 to 1994. Met my wife there, still married to her. I believe the club is still called. "Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club". GCRC. They are flying a little north of Cinti, in Hamilton, Ohio. This is also Dave Brown area, and where Mike McConville is from.

Vince

Columbus Ron 08-19-2010 11:08 AM

If you are moving to Cincy and living along the Ohio River then your not far from the Cardinal Field (N KY). If your moving to Cincy and living along the I-275 north of the City then the Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club (Northgate Mall and Tri-County Mall Area) is a good choice. I think Hawks is Northeast of I-275 and I-71. No one that I know of flys pattern at GCRCC or Hawks. There are several pattern guys at the Cardinal club so if that is a reasonable drive it is a good choice. I believe there are a couple of other clubs in Cincy as well. GCRCC is probably the biggest club in the area.

Don't miss the D4 championships in late Sept. Most of the D5 guys come down so we have almost 30 pilots, steak, fireworks, nightflying and maybe combat flying this year.

Jetdesign 08-19-2010 02:03 PM

Not sure where I'm living yet; will be going to UC in January and working in Evendale. Have best friend in southeast Cincinnati (Mt. Lookout), and am considering moving between all those things and the Kentucky flying field.

flywilly 08-19-2010 02:46 PM

Working for GE Aircraft engine? (Mike M's former employer a few years back...). The UC main campus is downtown (behind the zoo). You could live on the Kentucky side of the river, too. The Cardinal Field is also really nice. GCRCC moved while I was living there. Their previous field was NOT suited to pattern, but their new field (10+ years old now) is much better. They are a very active club including their annual 'Flying Circus' and swap meet.
It still snows in Cincinnati, but not as much or as often as VT :) . I've moved across state lines several times (and I'm still 'at large' :D) and usually contact 1 or more clubs before I move so I can start flying when I get there!
Good Luck!

Jetdesign 08-19-2010 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: flywilly
Working for GE Aircraft engine?
:D

Columbus Ron 08-19-2010 06:29 PM

I hate east siders. West side is the best side:) From Mt. Lookout, the Ky field is probably 20-30 minutes. Can't remember where the Hawks field is. The GCRCC field would be a 45+ minute drive.

Welcome to D4

crankpin 08-19-2010 06:54 PM

Ted Gregory's Montgomery Inn, LaRosa's Pizza, White Castle, Frische's, Skyline Chilii, Cincinnati Red's, Forget the Bengal's, OSU Football, King's Island, thing's to do. WE lived in Butler County, Westchester, taxes are a killer there.

Just had to put my two cent's in, Cincinnati is a great city, great people. You will be treated well.

Vince

Columbus Ron 08-19-2010 07:11 PM

They have a Montgomery Inn Ribs in Columbus, OH now.

crankpin 08-19-2010 07:31 PM

My wife's cousin's, sister and kid's are all OSU fan's. They live and breath Buckeye's. They even drive red car's with the big OSU emblem on the door, all look like a bunch of fire chief's. Columbus is great.

Vince

radray 08-19-2010 07:34 PM

Joe,

Welcome to Cincinnati! There are several people here that will be happy to provide any assistance you need, please do not hesitate to PM.

Ray Morton

Columbus Ron 08-19-2010 07:54 PM

My uncle has a condo on Hutchinson, Island. My wife and I dive out of Jupiter Dive Shop when we are in town. The rest of my relatives live in Port St. Lucie. I drove by the Hobe field but didn't have time to stop in. How is it?

Jetdesign 08-19-2010 09:38 PM

Did I hear something about some kinda chili??

Columbus Ron 08-19-2010 10:04 PM

Skyline or Gold Star Chili. Not your normal chili. Three way (spaghetti, chili, cheese), four way (spaghetti, chili, beans and cheese or spaghetti, chili, onions and cheese), five way (spaghetti, chili, beans, onions and cheese), cheese coney (hot dog, chili and cheese). Good stuff. They have a Skyline in Clifton. Then walk down the street and go to Graeters and get some excellent ice cream. The double chocolate chip has chips that are the size of hersey bars.

RC11 08-19-2010 10:07 PM

Joe,
In your travels you will most likely pass right through St.Clairsville, Oh. Our contest will be held on Aug 28 and 29. Our field is 2 miles off I-70. Check us out if your in the area and meet the D4 guys and gals.
Be seein ya,
Rick Cilles

Jetdesign 08-19-2010 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Columbus Ron

I hate east siders. West side is the best side:) From Mt. Lookout, the Ky field is probably 20-30 minutes. Can't remember where the Hawks field is. The GCRCC field would be a 45+ minute drive.

Welcome to D4
I was under the impression the East side is full of young corporate transplants like myself (gotta call myself young while it lasts!) and the West was the local families.

I'll miss the Clairsville contest by a week, but can visit the club.

Might have to try a 4-way when I get out there.

Is there a hobby shop that can support electric pattern ships????

VerneK 08-19-2010 10:39 PM

You'll have to visit the Detroit area if you want REAL chili. Layayette Coney Island, American Coney Island, National Coney Island, etc, etc Nothing else is even close.

See you at the D4 Championship!

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Did I hear something about some kinda chili??

Flyin Beagle 08-20-2010 10:53 AM

Dont listen to any of these guys. Go find a Dixie Chili and you will be in for a treat. If your feeling a little adventurous order an Alligator. Thats something totally unique.

http://www.dixiechili.com/

jrpav1 08-20-2010 11:18 AM

Joe,
We're all going to miss you (D1), good luck with everything in your new home. Maybe I'll see you at the NAT's next year. You should be doing pretty well in Intermediate by then. :)

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic