Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Plastic tubing around 2.4GHz antennas

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic tubing around 2.4GHz antennas

I was at a regional turbine meeting the other day, with a pass to walk through the pit areas, so I could see the insides of many jets. I noticed that, in the vast majority of them, the antennas of the 2.4GHz receivers (all but one were JR) were fitted with a plastic tubing - apparently the same polypropylene tubing used in retract lines - around them, as if to keep the antennas always "more straight". What's up with that? Does it help? How? Would it be helpful in any type of plane/installation/2.4GHz system?

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
aydin3
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Plastic tubing around 2.4GHz antennas

ORIGINAL: Beavis

I was at a regional turbine meeting the other day, with a pass to walk through the pit areas, so I could see the insides of many jets. I noticed that, in the vast majority of them, the antennas of the 2.4GHz receivers (all but one were JR) were fitted with a plastic tubing - apparently the same polypropylene tubing used in retract lines - around them, as if to keep the antennas always "more straight". What's up with that? Does it help? How? Would it be helpful in any type of plane/installation/2.4GHz system?

Thank you in advance.
it just makes for a nice easy installation...I used it for 72,35 and 27Mhz when I used them as well.....with 2.4 it helps to keep the small antennas safe as they are easily broken compared to the older longer antenna wire.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
JIMF14D

Probably a good idea. Inotice on one of my 4 stroke models the little antenna wire oscillates in about a 1/4 inch circle at the tip. The tubing would dampen that motion I am sure.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

. . . with 2.4 it helps to keep the small antennas safe as they are easily broken compared to the older longer antenna wire.
Not the way Ifly.

ANYTHING external is in peril of grass, sod and tree damage. And internal they still have been yanked out of the Rx when the fuselage seperates or a lead tail weight suddenly becomes a tank-clunk.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: Beavis

I was at a regional turbine meeting the other day, with a pass to walk through the pit areas, so I could see the insides of many jets. I noticed that, in the vast majority of them, the antennas of the 2.4GHz receivers (all but one were JR) were fitted with a plastic tubing - apparently the same polypropylene tubing used in retract lines - around them, as if to keep the antennas always ''more straight''. What's up with that? Does it help? How? Would it be helpful in any type of plane/installation/2.4GHz system?

Thank you in advance.
I've been doing this for a while now with [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK128&P=7]Great Planes Small Fuel Tubing[/link]. The 5/64" inner diameter is just the right size to slip over the strain relief nipple and stay on without any help. I do this even on small electrics and consider it cheap insurance.

Sorry, this isn't a great picture, but you can kind of see it on the AR6200 in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45770.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1508486  
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Sgillmore's picture is exactly what I saw, only with what looked like polypropylene retract tubing instead. In like manner, that tubing was easily and stably fitted around the strain relief nipple of each antenna terminal.

Thank you for sharing the picture.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, 1/16" retract tubing. Been using it since the the original AR9000 came out. Keeps theantenna straight and keeps it from beingmangled when I get my hands in the airplane.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
rudder turns

Hi Guys,I have been using the hitec 2.4 receivers,with no problems.They have a barrel at the end of the antenna with a 1inch piece of small coax cable,extending beyond the barrel.
It is used to stick through a carbon fiber fuselage,which I don't have.I like to sleeve the barrel with a small piece of drinking straw to protect the coax cable.Works Great. Thanks Ed
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

Hi Guys,I have been using the hitec 2.4 receivers,with no problems.They have a barrel at the end of the antenna with a 1inch piece of small coax cable,extending beyond the barrel.
It is used to stick through a carbon fiber fuselage,which I don't have.I like to sleeve the barrel with a small piece of drinking straw to protect the coax cable.Works Great. Thanks Ed
I have both JR/Spektrum and Hitec 2.4 receivers. So far I haven't attempted to protect the Hitec antennas (haven't needed to). However, I'll have to look into your drinking straw idea. It may not be necessary, but it sure couldn't hurt anything. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Clear aquarium air line tubing for my Airtronics antennae cables ... works a treat. Cheaper than fuel line too
Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

I just use a piece of scotch tape to attach to nearest bulkhead or whatever.

rog
Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
wkevinm

I also use a drinking straw to route the antenna of my Hitec 2.4 receivers in my q500 and q40 pylon racers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73308.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1509651