Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Channel expander

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Channel expander

I'm at a dilemma, I'm building a 1/4 scale Fockewulf FW-190 and was planning on having the canopy slide via a servo. I planned on using my trust Spektrum DX7 for radio and realized I'll be out of channels with flaps and reteracts. Is there a device that works with Spetrum 2.4 to give me more channels? Thanx in advance.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
ArchNemesis

Default RE: Channel expander

Yes!! It's called an Airtronics SD-10G...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm actually curious to hear the answer. I'm not aware of any of the brands making that type of device. Good luck!Sounds like a neat project.

-M
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM
onewasp

Might work

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA905
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an interesting toy. You would have to plan out the applications carefully, but I could see a use for some applications.

Take a look at the match box also, It will do thing like couple two elevator servos one on each half, to a single chanel. If you just need more servos following the same stick, it is a great way to go.

Don
Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I have several Matchboxes. They are ideal for connecting up to 4 servos to one channel, but you cannot assign Switches or Levers to individual servos connected to one Matchbox. It appears that the Channel Expander will let you do that.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

A Matchbox allows you to set the Neutral, Servo Direction, and End Points, independently, for each of the four servos connected to it, but each servo operates off the same Stick, Knob, Switch, or Lever, that the other three are using.

I found the following explanation of the differences between the Channel Xpander and the Matchbox, in another thread:

QUOTE]Originally posted by bcovish
What is the difference if any between the Matchbox and the Channel Expander? Both of these are JR products. [/QUOTE]

Bob,

The channel Xpander, which is new I believe, is very different from the Matchbox. The function of the channel xpander is to make severl different (up to 4) operations work off of one channel. With the channel xpander, you can adjust the "kick point," or the point in the input channel, where each aux. (expanded) channel is activated, and you can adjust the end point of each aux. channel. However, each expanded channel is NOT proportional. I.e., when the input channel reaches the kick point of the specifc aux. channel, the aux. channel moves from one end point all the way to the other.

I am going to use the channel xpander to operate the split fuselage flaps and dive brakes on my Panther from the flap channel. I'll set the kick points up so that 0-1/2 of the stick movement moves the wing flaps proportionally, and then the next 1/4 point opens the split flaps all the way (via an air switch) and the final 1/4 movement opens the dive brakes (via a second air switch).

Note that both the channel xpander and matchbox manuals are on the Horizon website.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 AM
fpvkiwi

Hello
Pardon a rcuniverse newbie for jumping in.
I faced asimilar problem as the OP and I'm working to create a device to sendmultiple proportional, independent channels over one radio channel. Iadd a small circuit to modify the PPM stream in the transmitter andanother circuit connects to the receiver. I don't think the latesttransmitters (that don't use PPM internally) can use this solutionwithout jacking into the trainer port.
So far I've demonstrated controlling 6 extra channels and I've made a receiver (or rather, "demux") prototype with 9 outputs.
I only started talking about the project two weeks ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341590

As you can clearly see this is just a hobby project, but my goal is stillto make a generic product that will work with as many systems aspossible and to make a batch for the public. So far I've tested withFutaba 9C with both Spektrum module and DragonLink long-range system.While doing it all from scratch is time-consuming, it makes a lot ofdifferent functionality possible.

I can't offer the OP anything at the moment but I'd still like to hear about any interest or suggestions in the mean time.

Regards
Kiwi