Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Legal / Illegal tx...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 01:41 PM
brian_christie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal / Illegal tx...

Hi all.
I've got an old Futaba FP-T5FG tx that I've been using for quite a while. It works with my new rx. Several years ago I did a major cleaning to it and removed all of the stickers except the one on the bottom. I have no idea if it's 'gold stickered' or not. The big plug-in freq module on the back says it's on ch 40.

Any way to tell if it's 'legal'? If it's not, what would happen if I took it to the local club field...would it 'bleed over' to adjacent channels or cause anyone problems?

How can I test this?

Thanks,
Brian Christie
Old 04-10-2002, 01:45 PM
brian_christie

Default found my own answer!

From http://www.futabarc.com/faq/service-faq.html#q41

"Is your TX either FM (PPM) or PCM or both? If so, it is legal, no matter what Futaba model it is. ALL Futaba FM and PCM transmitters met the standard."

I love it.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2002, 04:39 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Brian....Sorry to say....without "GoldSticker" it's not legal to use at any AMA sanctioned field. You wouldn't want to take a chance on that one. It's not worth it. If not for your sake, then for someone else's. There is not any way to reliably test this. The test happens where you get the "goldsticker", and if you search around there are still a few places that do this
RadioSouth is one of them I think.

Yes, most clubs do check from time to time when they see an oldie. I know mine sure does, and I'm glad they do. We all hold eachother accountable in this way. If you were to end up "hitting" someone or bleeding over, if your a member, and someone crashes plane...if this can be proven...and with tests it can...In my club...if you turn on and knock someone out of sky, and they crash...you buy them a plane...and yes I've seen it happen, more then once.

Let's say someone were on adjacent ch., say 39, or 41, the signal from your transmitter might affect these channels. The standards of the older systems was different, so a broader signal was acceptable then. It's way different now though.

Please don't take chances in any club settings with this system, that's for everyone's sake.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:59 PM
brian_christie

DGrant...

Futaba themselves said that it is a narrow band tx since it's an FM system. So it's ok.

The issue now is the rx...yes it is listed so it is narrow band as well.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:07 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Brian, I do stand corrected. I should have asked if it had the FM module. I assumed it was AM system, my bad here.

That is fact FM is totally legal, as you've already found out. Matter of fact right now Tower has there recievers w/crystal for about $54. If you have a coupon for the $10 off, that brings the cost of reciever/crystal down to $44 or so. That would get you the reciever, there would be no question then.

It's the AM's that are usually in question, some are legal some are not, and easiest way to tell is sticker, and these systems are not supposed to be flown without sticker.

Anyways, congratulations on the news of your "legal" transmitter.
Have fun.