Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 Service Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 Service Bulletin

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=SPMR7700]SERVICE BULLETIN[/link]
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DX7 Service Bulletin

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=SPMR7700]SERVICE BULLETIN[/link]
As we go to "quote" and get into the editing window we see the complete URL to

horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=SPMR7700]SERVICE BULLETIN[/link]

I wonder if this URL will still appear in this posting.
Just trying to understand better how this forum functions.

It seems to me that URLs did not stay.

Zor

Editing after posting ___

Sure enough . . . . the URL seen while typing a reply does not stay.; does not appear in the posted reply.

End

Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Zor
Banned

i am told by a Canadian import broker that there will be custom duties imposed upon return to Canada and that a broker will have to clear the transmitter back into Canada and their minimum charge to clear it back in is $75.00 and that other brokers may charge more.

Perhaps it might be preferable to buy another new transmiter and either make sure it is not another one affected by checking the numbers of the affected units as listed in the Service Bulletin or perhaps buy another brandlike Futaba or Hitec from a local retailer in Canada and not have to bother with packaging. shipments, delays, and all that trouble and costs while not knowing if the repair will be effective.

Any comments from anyone ?

Zor

Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Yep,

Buy the other brand, many have update capability via download.

DR
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor

i am told by a Canadian import broker that there will be custom duties imposed upon return to Canada and that a broker will have to clear the transmitter back into Canada and their minimum charge to clear it back in is $75.00 and that other brokers may charge more.

Perhaps it might be preferable to buy another new transmiter and either make sure it is not another one affected by checking the numbers of the affected units as listed in the Service Bulletin or perhaps buy another brand like Futaba or Hitec from a local retailer in Canada and not have to bother with packaging. shipments, delays, and all that trouble and costs while not knowing if the repair will be effective.

Any comments from anyone ?

Zor

This might be a question for HorizonHobbies as to whose responsible for these fees. I would think Horizon being the exclusive distributor for Spektrum would be responsible for any and all fees incurred. To actually push the issue with them might be quite another story though. One has to decide if its really worth it. I'm wondering if this has been discussed with them and what thier response miight be.

I've always had good dealing with Horizon here in the states, I don't have any experience though in dealings outside the continental US.

As far as the repair/upgrade I would be confident in my experience that the transmitter would be operating at 100% upon return. As it stands from the bulletin, the issue is only affecting half the model memory storage/function. It might not be an easy decision based on your particular resources either... as you would have to get it to a shipping business to ship it(depending on how you/they ship it), how much travel and time you want/need to put in to get it there and/or pick it up.

All this weighed against possibly going to your local hobby shop and simply purchasing another system(this brand or other brand), and having that dealer to possibly stand by that product..still no guarantee he really will(although a reputable dealer will for obvious reason).. as you stated on that issue you wouldn't have to bother with packaging, shipping, delays..(that in itself is worth something too)...

I'm not totally sold on Spektrum yet myself.. partly because I've read about other 2.4ghz technology being offered by other companies.. IE Futaba, Hitec, as well as a few other mainstream companies... and even moreso.. I still have the ability to use a Futaba 72mhz system that I've had no trouble with for many years...

With all that said... I'm curious to know what Horizon's response to this issue is... Zor.. I hope you get it worked out soon.. and get to the fun stuff of building and flying again.. although your weather probably isn't quite flying weather at this time of year.. A Merry Christmas Season to you.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Phoenixangel

I posted the bulletin because it seems to me that there is no effort to contact product owners so far.

I own both a DX6i and a DX7. I had heard nothing other then on this forum about any issues,there is another thread about the DX7 that I read. I really like them both and have not had issues personally.

I was part of the recall on the DX6i, but never had a problem. Sent it in and just got a new one back. I should keep a close eye for issues/new software for my receivers and or transmitters, and will in the future.

I wish I could be of more help, but I do not know anything other then what is posted on the horizon site.

Here is a link to all Horizon Hobby Service bulletins. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Support/...Bulletins.aspx I see several starting with DX7 and I learned of it the day of the original post.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Zor
Banned

I posted the bulletin because it seems to me that there is no effort to contact product owners so far.
>
>
>
Here is a link to all Horizon Hobby Service bulletins. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Support/...Bulletins.aspx I see several starting with DX7 and I learned of it the day of the original post.
Thanks for the link.
Very interesting.

Zor

edited __vry became very
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Zor
Banned

DGrant,

I have not taken any decision to send my DX7 to the USA .
I am still using it doing some interesting studies.

I am not convinced the lack of servo response was due to the transmitter.
I am more suspicious it was due to the receiver showing a bind that did not really exist.
More experimentations are forthcoming.
No further problem has been seen since that event.

Concerning the data recall from memories 11 to 20 is another subject I am interested to play with.
I am not likely to ever have more than 10 models in memory. If time comes by I may just fill the memories with pseudo models to see what may be happening.

These days I use my leisure times studying more "how these systems function and do some work on my sailpane".

Wishing you a Merry Christmas. Enjoy with your loved ones.

Zor

Edited ___wha became what .
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Mikecam

Zor, my understanding is if you put a copy of your receipt in the box and get Horizon to check the "other" box and write in warranty work you should not have a problem with any duty, taxes or need a broker.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Zor, my understanding is if you put a copy of your receipt in the box and get Horizon to check the "other" box and write in warranty work you should not have a problem with any duty, taxes or need a broker.
Hello Mikecam,

You may very well be correct. When I contacted the custom broker to query, It gave me a feeling that they were looking for money fromme more than give me accurate information. Their remark (the fellow I was talking to that happen to have answered the phone call and said to me ) "others may charge you more" sounded like "use our services" we want your money to come here and not to others.

Anyway my DX7 system has been written off financially in my accounting. Its value is now zilch (zero) and I am enjoying fooling around and finding more about how it works and as I wrote earlier, it has not failed since that event.

It is going into a sailplane (Spectra) that will be well balanced like we used to do with free flight models so if the radio fails in flight it will remind me of the glorious days when we were flying free flight and later started to "home-build" experimental radios to contol the free flight machines.

Ah! "The Good Old Times" that I will never forget. That was the 1950s and 60s.

Thanks for your good thinking Mikecam and have the best Holiday Season you ever had.

Zor.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Zor, my understanding is if you put a copy of your receipt in the box and get Horizon to check the ''other'' box and write in warranty work you should not have a problem with any duty, taxes or need a broker.
Hello Mikecam,

You may very well be correct. When I contacted the custom broker to query, It gave me a feeling that they were looking for money from me more than give me accurate information. Their remark (the fellow I was talking to that happen to have answered the phone call and said to me ) ''others may charge you more'' sounded like ''use our services'' we want your money to come here and not to others.

Anyway my DX7 system has been written off financially in my accounting. Its value is now zilch (zero) and I am enjoying fooling around and finding more about how it works and as I wrote earlier, it has not failed since that event.

It is going into a sailplane (Spectra) that will be well balanced like we used to do with free flight models so if the radio fails in flight it will remind me of the glorious days when we were flying free flight and later started to ''home-build'' experimental radios to contol the free flight machines.

Ah! ''The Good Old Times'' that I will never forget. That was the 1950s and 60s.

Thanks for your good thinking Mikecam and have the best Holiday Season you ever had.

Zor.

I have never seen so Drama over a radio that works awesome. I and many others have been useing the DX7 for several years without any problems. I have used the DX7 in everything from 120MPH sport planes to 1/4 scale aircraft and have never had any troubles whatsoever. What is the big deal with sending it in to have Horizon fix the programming glitch that only people with 11 or more planes would even notice, since it only effects model match which the other manufactures like Futaba do not even offer. Its fairly easy to send it in for a flash of the computer if you are worried. Oh by the way, this is the only problem that I have ever been aware of pertaining to the DX7 and I have looked through the list on there web site, if you would even call it a problem.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Zor
Banned

Iflyglow,

It appears you have not really followed my situation wih my new DX7.

I have never seen so Drama over a radio that works awesome.

I wonder where you have seen any "drama". I certainly did not make any drama here.
A while ago I reported an occurrence in which the system seemed to be bound and Ihad no servo response. It occurred twice the same morning and has not occurred since. Oher fellows also reported they had experienced the same phenomena. There is no drama in such reports.

I and many others have been useing the DX7 for several years without any problems. I have used the DX7 in everything from 120MPH sport planes to 1/4 scale aircraft and have never had any troubles whatsoever.

Many fellows have reported loosing (crashing) because of their radio. If that is what you have in mind and are referring to as a "drama" then plesae do not attribute it to me.
I do not see what the speed or size of the airplane has to do with radio response.

What is the big deal with sending it in to have Horizon fix the programming glitch that only people with 11 or more planes would even notice, since it only effects model match which the other manufactures like Futaba do not even offer. Its fairly easy to send it in for a flash of the computer if you are worried.

Nowhere have I mentioned that I am worried. For your knowledge it is not as easy as you seem to think to send items for repair across the border. We have to fill export forms in six copies, attach details of the purpose of the export, it has to be handled by a broker at a broker's minimum cost. Etc...

Oh by the way, this is the only problem that I have ever been aware of pertaining to the DX7 and I have looked through the list on there web site, if you would even call it a problem.

You would not expect the website to come out and openly declare "Hey everyone ___we have a problem with our DX7 system" ___ would you ?
iflyglow,

This is a problem only in the sense that there is a glitch in recalling the stored memories 11 to 20. and also the fact that myself and othershave reported having experienced no servo responses while the binding seem to be good.

I did not see anyone making a mountain out of that molehill .
Note that the marketing people did not mention this problem. It was posted by one of our friends in this forum. It was confirmed to me verbally by the gentleman who answered the phone at the distributor/importer.

I think we can calm down and handle things our own way.

Havea wonderful Xmas this coming weekend. Wishing you all the best.

Zor

Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: FLPilot

Yep,

Buy the other brand, many have update capability via download.

DR

So do the higher end radio's from Spectrum and JR. You will not find it with Futaba's radio's of the same price range either, nor do they even offer model match to protect the flyer from flyng the plane with the wrong programming.

Futaba has had there share of growing pains too, since they have had quite a few real recalls on there 2.4 stuff.
Straight from Futaba's site.[X(] This just shows how sensitive there stuff is.
http://2.4gigahertz.com/features/receiver-tips.html#air
Old 12-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Zor
Banned

iflyglow,

You wrote ___
"since it only effects model match which the other manufactures like Futaba do not even offer".

I think there is a difference knowing you do not have the feature and knowing you have it.

It also depends on what is happening.

Model Match prevents communication between the transmitter and receiver if the wrong memory location is chosen.

I was told by the technician that selecting a model for which the data is recorded (stored) in memory 11 to 20 is unreliable and may recall any other memory. Perhaps it happens also for memory 1 to 10. The selection, I think, would work on the same principle across the board.

Now if it happens ___does the system think it has the proper data while it has data for another model ? Think for example about servo reversals.
Or does the system recognize it has the wrong data and refuse to communicate as intended by Model Match ?

Was that the cause of two models crashing right after take off ?
The memory selecting process is not likely to be different for 11 to 20 than it is for 1 to 10.

I understand (right or wrong; let me know if you know better) that the Model Match works on the same principle as the binding.

In binding a digital code is stored in the receiver and if many receivers are (have been) bound to a transmitter then all these receivers have stored the same code and will respond to that single transmitter.

In Model Match then each receiver has to have a different Model Match code and binding will take place with that receiver only if the Model Match code correspond "memory code to specific receiver code learned by the receiver when the binding to that receiver took place from a specific memory number".

I mentioned earlier That if finding the time I may fill those memories numbers and try to see what happens. It is possible that I may not find any problems with my radio. There is nothing to say that all DX7 having the mentioned numbers do have the problem.

However if one buys a system with the feature he/she has the right to expect it to work.

I will not think about this stuff before X'mas.

Merry X'mas. May Santa be generous.

Zor

Old 12-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Iflyglow

iflyglow,

You wrote _ _ _
''since it only effects model match which the other manufactures like Futaba do not even offer''.

I think there is a difference knowing you do not have the feature and knowing you have it.

It also depends on what is happening.

Model Match prevents communication between the transmitter and receiver if the wrong memory location is chosen.

I was told by the technician that selecting a model for which the data is recorded (stored) in memory 11 to 20 is unreliable and may recall any other memory. Perhaps it happens also for memory 1 to 10. The selection, I think, would work on the same principle across the board.

Now if it happens _ _ _ does the system think it has the proper data while it has data for another model ? Think for example about servo reversals.
Or does the system recognize it has the wrong data and refuse to communicate as intended by Model Match ?

Was that the cause of two models crashing right after take off ?
The memory selecting process is not likely to be different for 11 to 20 than it is for 1 to 10.

I understand (right or wrong; let me know if you know better) that the Model Match works on the same principle as the binding.

In binding a digital code is stored in the receiver and if many receivers are (have been) bound to a transmitter then all these receivers have stored the same code and will respond to that single transmitter.

In Model Match then each receiver has to have a different Model Match code and binding will take place with that receiver only if the Model Match code correspond ''memory code to specific receiver code learned by the receiver when the binding to that receiver took place from a specific memory number''.

I mentioned earlier That if finding the time I may fill those memories numbers and try to see what happens. It is possible that I may not find any problems with my radio. There is nothing to say that all DX7 having the mentioned numbers do have the problem.

However if one buys a system with the feature he/she has the right to expect it to work.

I will not think about this stuff before X'mas.

Merry X'mas. May Santa be generous.

Zor

If your worried, send the transmitter in. Wasn't that you that showed pictures of yours all taken apart, which might not have been a good idea since Horizon does watch these threads and your warranty is the only thing I would be concerned about now.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Zor
Banned

Original by iflyglow,

If your worried, send the transmitter in. Wasn't that you that showed pictures of yours all taken apart, which might not have been a good idea since Horizon does watch these threads and your warranty is the only thing I would be concerned about now.
I am not worried at all.

As Isaid earlier "I wrote the DX7 off financially" .
This is as if I had thrown it in the garbage can. It now has no financial value to me.
Consequently I have no interest in any warranty.
It is now a piece of garbage I am having fun withand have no worries about it.

However since it has not repeated the problem I am having some satisfaction of playing with it.
I did post pictures of the inside of the transmitter for the benefit of viewers as well as looking what a 2.4 Ghz RF board looks like.

I cannot understand that you say "all taken apart" when what I did is remove six little screws, open the rear case, take some pictures and close it again. If I had"all taken it apart" I would have all the PCboards out, all theswitches out, the control sticks andassociated mechanism outand everything laying on the table disassembled. I did not do that.

The manual even show us on page 11 and 12 how to open the back to adjust the control stick tensions. All I did is take pictures.

I appreciate and thank you for your apparent concern.
For me it is just another toy to play with and enjoy what I do.

I think we (those who followed this forum closely concerning the reported glitches) know pretty well by now what is likely to have happened. It is not happening any more.

So for the immediate future we are waiting for Santa to make his round on the 25th.
May he be generous for you and bring you some goodies as per your wishes.
Have a Merry X'mas.

Zor

Edited to add the paragraph about stick tension (manual pages 11 and 12). How to open the back.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM
417mack

First thanks for the posting, I would have not known of this any other way. Has anyone sent a dx7 back for this fix and what was the turnaround time.  I sent mine back on the 20th and am missing it already.  We have had some flyable weather but I only can fly one plane.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: 417mack

First thanks for the posting, I would have not known of this any other way. Has anyone sent a dx7 back for this fix and what was the turnaround time. I sent mine back on the 20th and am missing it already. We have had some flyable weather but I only can fly one plane.

I sent mine in around the 22nd of december, and just recieved an email saying it was be shipped back now. The invoice said that the firm ware was updated, to make sure that you rebind all models before flight. Pretty fast considering all of the Holidays.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM
417mack

thanks for the reply maby I should call next week and see how it is.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:10 PM
rmh

I have flown the DX7 since it first appeared in 2007 jan
all this silly stuff about it's reliability just keeps popping back up.
the other mfgrs only wish they had come up with the DX7 related technology first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu61721.gif
Views:	18
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1541009  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: rmh

the other mfgrs only wish they had come up with the DX7 related technology first.
I sent mine in because I will not be flying untill April anyways. It is quite cold here is WI currently. I cannot complain about the radio, and really like it. If I wanted something else, I most certainly would have purchased it instead. I just bought a replacement transmitter this fall(First one took a bath and is now flying park fliers) so that would have been my chance to switch. I did not even hesitate, since this is the best on the market for a 7CH radio in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 AM
417mack

ORIGINAL: rmh

I am compleatly happy with my dx7 but I will probibly put more than 10 models in it so wanted it fixed but we are having some calm sunny daysnow a bit cold so Ianxious to get it back.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
417mack

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

First thanks for the posting, I would have not known of this any other way. Has anyone sent a dx7 back for this fix and what was the turnaround time. I sent mine back on the 20th and am missing it already. We have had some flyable weather but I only can fly one plane.

I sent mine in around the 22nd of december, and just recieved an email saying it was be shipped back now. The invoice said that the firm ware was updated, to make sure that you rebind all models before flight. Pretty fast considering all of the Holidays.
cheacked status today, mine is ready to ship today. 2 weeks with the hollidays in there is not to bad I guess hope it gets here by the weekend it might be the last one fit for flying for a while.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Iflyglow

cheacked status today, mine is ready to ship today. 2 weeks with the hollidays in there is not to bad I guess hope it gets here by the weekend it might be the last one fit for flying for a while.

I just got mine back today with an apology letter and a FREE Spectrum hat for the trouble. I am happy. Mine was was shipped to them on 12/22/2010.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
417mack

I just got mine back today with an apology letter and a FREE Spectrum hat for the trouble. I am happy. Mine was was shipped to them on 12/22/2010.
I got mine back today free hat and all. The best thing all of my programming is intact.