Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do you know if pcm radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if pcm radio?

I have an old Airtronics vg6dr 6 channel transmitter that I have been using for a buddy box for some time now and my sone is just starting to get into aircraft. He is now 10 years old. I was looking at the frsky diy 2.4 conversion kits on hobby king for 15.00 and the 4 channel rx's for 15.00 and was wondering if it would work to convert this box to 2.4 I know that the radio has to send out a ppm signal but how do you know what radios are ppm. The radio works with the old and new airtronics ppm recievers so is it ppm? I poped off the back and there is a three wire plug connected to the fm board and another 2 wire plug also connected to the board and one other wire going to the antanea. The rest is just older electrinics. Can anywon enlighten me on what exactly a ppm radio is?
Thanks
John
Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: How do you know if pcm radio?

Hi John,
The old Airtronics Vanguard radios where PPM for sure. PPM stands for Pulse Position Modulation. Even with 2.4Ghz, the receiver still outputs PPM to the servos.
I would think the frsky "hack" kit will work fine in an old Vanguard. I had two of those radios years ago. Bullet proof[8D]
Good luck,
Pete
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look to this link, it will aswer your questions nicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-position_modulation

Merry Xmas.

Zor
Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, the Tx would have PCM printed on the case somewhere. If it was a computer radio, you would see PCM or PPM in the display somewhere. Futaba had a Conquest radio that was PCM only and it was not a computer radio, but usually, it will be marked somewhere on the Tx case.

Most PCM computer radios can be switched from PCM to PPM in the Modulation section of the Model Memory. You need PPM for Flight Simulators, as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 AM
flybyjohn

Thanks for all your replies. I looked over the whole radio and cannnot find pcm printed anywhere on the case. I also looked at my RD8000 and it doesn't have ppm or pcm anywhere on it either. It only tells you that it is in ppm on the display window when you turn it on. I have a JR622, RD8000, and the old VG6DR and need to decide what two radios to put the two modules I purchased into.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not do any harm to try it