Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum DX7

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
fuelie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum DX7

I noticed on horizon hobbies website most allspektrumradio systems out of stock. i e-mailed them being interested in buying DX7 system. they e-mailed a responce that the DX7 has been discontinued. whats up?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: spektrum DX7

ORIGINAL: fuelie

I noticed on horizon hobbies website most all spektrum radio systems out of stock. i e-mailed them being interested in buying DX7 system. they e-mailed a responce that the DX7 has been discontinued. whats up?
Spektrum has announced a new implementation of the Spread Spectrum technology. It is called DSMX. The previous technology was called DSM2.

The newly released DX8 came with the hardware that supports DSMX and the ability for the user to Upgrade the Firmware to DSMX as well as any future upgrades. The DX8 replaces the DX7. Most other JR/Spektrum radios need to be sent in and upgraded to DSMX, for a $75 charge with one way shipping paid for by them. All JR/Spektrum DSM2 transmitters, that are in inventory, are being Upgraded to DSMX before they are sold. They should be available by the middle of March. There is also a line of new receivers that are DSMX compatible.

If you have your transmitter upgraded to DSMX, it will still work with the older DSM2 receivers and the newer DSMX receivers.
If you choose not to upgrade your transmitter to DSMX, it will still be compatible with the newer DSMX receivers, but only in DSM2 mode.
If you buy a newer DSMX transmitter, it will still work with the older DSM2 receivers.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 AM
fuelie

thanks for the info, buschbarber.now everything makes sense!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
tacx

BuschBarber,

I have one year old DX7. My question is.....If I do not do the upgrade, what will I be missing as far as features etc. etc. What will I not be able to do that the upgrade will allow me to do?

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: tacx

BuschBarber,

I have one year old DX7. My question is.....If I do not do the upgrade, what will I be missing as far as features etc. etc. What will I not be able to do that the upgrade will allow me to do?

Thanks
Tom
Your DX7 will work just like it did before with no difference in the programming except, in each Model Memory, you will be able to choose between DSM2 or DSMX. If you are Binding to a DSM2 Rx, you will be in DSM2 mode. If you are Binding to a DSMX receiver, you will be in DSMX mode.

DSMX should be even more robust in terms of minimizing interference.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it matters, it is my understanding, that if you upgrade the DX7 to DSMX you lose the ability to use the old DSM receivers (A6000).
Now, if I upgrade my DX7 to DSMX, will the DMS2 mode still work the Chinese clone receivers on DSM2?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

If it matters, it is my understanding, that if you upgrade the DX7 to DSMX you lose the ability to use the old DSM receivers (A6000).
Now, if I upgrade my DX7 to DSMX, will the DMS2 mode still work the Chinese clone receivers on DSM2?
DSMX transmitters, whether New or Upgraded, will work with DSMX receivers and DSM2 receivers. You can switch Modulations in the Model Memory. DSM2 transmitters will work with DSMX receivers, in DSM2 mode.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

That is correct.

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

That is correct.

Andy
Thanks for the response. The question I asked has not been answered.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM
bigedmustafa

By all accounts, iflyj3, any transmitter upgraded to DSMX will remain backward compatible with any DSM2 receiver. You should be able to have your DX7 upgraded without worrying about loss of compatibility with any Orange DSM2 receivers you might be flying.