Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
JR 9503
6.65%
JR 11X
6.33%
JR 12X
4.75%
Futaba 12FGA
7.28%
Futaba 8FGA
15.66%
Futaba 10CAG
6.80%
Hitec Aurora 9
26.42%
Airtronics SD-10G
11.23%
Spectrum DX8
12.50%
Spectrum DX10t
2.37%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Which New 2.4 Transmitter Would You Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Warby
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which New 2.4 Transmitter Would You Choose?

Vote for the new transmitter you would actually purchase.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Which New 2.4 Transmitter Would You Choose?

I think it might be a good idea if you could choose a first and second choice. I selected the SD-10G because that is my most recent purchase and I think a good one.
however if I was going to purchase another radioI thinkit would be the 8FG
Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I chose the 11X. half the price of the 12X and nearly every feature. cant beat the feature/dollar ratio.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
air mail rcu

Just got back from the ETOC at Toledo (Great Show) Some of the top pilots were using the 8FG. I bought one about a year ago and really like it. So I ask them why they were using it. Knowing they are sponsored by Futaba they could have any of their top of the line radios. They told me because it is a top of the line radio for cheap and it does everything they need plus it was light weight. I also asked them if they were pressured into using it. They said no way. Talking to them I believed what they were telling me. Plus now the 8FG is a 14 channel radio. Great deal if you ask me.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Last month I made the decision on a new radio, my choice was the 8FG, I fly 35% aerobatic airplanes and for the price and features it was my choice. It does everything I need to do at a considerably less expense than a 12Z or 12FG. Plus it fit my hands perfectly.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a 9503 late last season as an upgrade from my DX6i. Really like it.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 AM
landeck

I bought the 8FG a year and a half ago. I have been very happy with it especially since it now has 14 channels. I am planning to buy a second one as backup since it is very easy to transfer models between them via the data card.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
tadawson

12X-MV, 11X from overseas, or the Aurora 9.

For me, it *MUST* be modular . . .

- Tim
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

ATX SD-10 G. Best "Bang for the Buck"!!!Loaded with the best features and easy enough to use that I think even I'll get the hang of it. This radio has really become very popular here in D4 among pattern flyers. Last year, of 34 pilots at the finals, 14 were flying the SD-10 G. 4 of 5 classes were won with this TX. If your making the move to 2.4, check it out.
Fly it you'll like it,

RC
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

For most purposes, these transmitters all do the same things. We can talk about the exceptions for hours, but for most of us they fly 4 to 7 channel models exactly the same way with room for growth.

If they all do the same thing, what's the difference? The fit and finish. You're going to be operating the radio by feel while you watch your model. The best thing to do is go to the hobby shop and hold each of them. See how they fit you. You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes or boots sight-unseen over the Internet because somebody bragged-up the features of their laces or sole, would you?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the SD-10g myself. Amazing radio regardless of price, but the price just makes it that much nicer.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
AraTidwell

I am already the happy owner of a X9503, I was real surprised to see it got so few votes, even though I selected the 11X. I expected the winner to be the DX8 but not even close.

Too bad you can't select the your top two or three picks.

It has been greatly argued that most people can't tell the difference, but I am really not sure how true this is... The Aurora 9 has by far the slowest latency of all the radios. I just think of it like a video game and convert the average latency in MS to "frames per second"... I can easily tell the difference between a 30fps (33ms)  game and a 60fps game (16ms), a 20fps game (50ms) is not very fun to play... This goes for MS Flight Simulator, any RC sim, and "first person shooter games"
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK-so much for the voting - You want to know which ones actually sold the best ?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: AraTidwell

I am already the happy owner of a X9503, I was real surprised to see it got so few votes, even though I selected the 11X. I expected the winner to be the DX8 but not even close.

Too bad you can't select the your top two or three picks.

It has been greatly argued that most people can't tell the difference, but I am really not sure how true this is... The Aurora 9 has by far the slowest latency of all the radios. I just think of it like a video game and convert the average latency in MS to ''frames per second''... I can easily tell the difference between a 30fps (33ms) game and a 60fps game (16ms), a 20fps game (50ms) is not very fun to play... This goes for MS Flight Simulator, any RC sim, and ''first person shooter games''
Yea, it doesn't quite work that way. Ask any of the hundreds of Aurora owners that used to own a 9303 which radio they feel more connected with!

Mike.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

this is the problem with poll- the results dont really mean anything. Hitec and Airtronics are leading by a large margin, but they are still number 3 and 4 in the radio game... (if you count radios from HH as one brand) also the radios that are number 1 and 2 in this poll represent the only radios in the poll from their respective brands, giving all the fanboys from their camps just one option to pick.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Where is the 12Z and the 14MZ in this poll?

It is incomplete, IMHO.

Bliksem

Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

this is the problem with poll- the results dont really mean anything. Hitec and Airtronics are leading by a large margin, but they are still number 3 and 4 in the radio game... (if you count radios from HH as one brand) also the radios that are number 1 and 2 in this poll represent the only radios in the poll from their respective brands, giving all the fanboys from their camps just one option to pick.
Add them all up then... JR/Spektrum 21%, Futaba 21%; The A9 35%... Ouch!

The Aurora is leading for a reason.... you can try to discount it but this wasn't a pick your brand poll but pick the best radio to purchase at this point in time. I'll put the Aurora up against any radio on the planet reguardless of cost and it will hold its own. Then consider that with the current free RX and 1/2 off offer you can get an A9 with 3 RX's for around $400! All this with a huge backlit touchscreen, fully open programming with built in battery telemetry. How is this not the absolute best bang for the buck, not only at this moment but in the history of radios!

Mike.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At the risk of being called a "fanboy" or some other derogatory handle I just want to say I do not care.

The Aurora and the Hitec 2.4 system is remarkable. So much so that I just recently purchased my second aurora and my Rx count is up to I think 37.

My chief motivation for the second one was to explore the trainer capabilitys and that certainly turned out to worth every penny and talk about bang for you buck.

The ability to trim your the students box for him while while he is flying with you still holding the trigger is remarkable and every instructors dream. Also you have the ability to change the rates on all three axis agine while he is still flying. Also I love the overide feature agine while he is flying without the need to let go and take it away from him as well as the ability to delegate which axis he may control from all to just one.

I also have experimented with the full telemetry system and it is going to be very useful for a cross country river trip I am planning for this spring.

Bottom line this system is truly the best bang for the buck. I can,t wait for the voice prompt, Man hope she's got a sexy french accent or maybe austrailian or maybe british. Aw shoot I can,t decide.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73445.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1590866  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying the Aurora since it came out, probably for a year now. I recently went through an exercise of trying to designate something as a backup radio, just in case.

I have a Futaba 9C and an 8U, and I have several Hitec AFHSS modules laying about, so it seemed a natural to just slap a module in one of them.

The module systems worked fine, I was able to use my Futaba transmitters with my Hitec receivers, but in doing so I realized just how far advanced the Aurora is. I had forgotten how annoying it is to have the channels hard-assigned. I have become accustomed to setting up my channel choices to work with each plane. And I had become accustomed to the touch screen, so much so that I decided it just isn't worth it using any other radio. When I sat down to set up my 9c as a backup on one plane I realized it took my about 3 to 4 times as long to do the setup on the Futaba radio, and the 9C is a pretty darned good conventional radio.

There are just a couple changes I'd add to the Aurora. A few virtual channels would be extremely useful, or the ability to assign a switch or slider to a mix input, that's my only real complaint. But even without that the Aurora is so far ahead of the competition it seems like Hitec would own the whole market if it wasn't for brand loyalty.

TF
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have been flying for 35 years now and have flown every brand radio all the way back to Proline and Kraft. The Aurora is the best radio that I have ever had and the online support and upgrades are fantastic! There is no doubt, You can NOT buy any other radio today with these features for anywhere near this price!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 AM
air mail rcu

I just got back from the ETOC. Nobody was using the A9 there. Wonder why? Not that I'm saying anything bad about the radio just wonder why hitech doesn't have a pro pilot flying in this venue. Hitech? Mike?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

I just got back from the ETOC. Nobody was using the A9 there. Wonder why? Not that I'm saying anything bad about the radio just wonder why hitech doesn't have a pro pilot flying in this venue. Hitech? Mike?

Just some thoughts. Perhaps Hitechs business plan may eliminate or minimise use the so called "Pro Pilots" therefore allowing a more reasonabley priced product.

For me sponsered or "Pro Pilots have always been the least creditable of all when making equipment recommendations or endorsements. It is totally unrealistic to expect paid pilots or pilots that are gifted expensive equipment to be altruistic and honest. Nope these folks are the least creditable of all and I could care less what they may be using at some big public event.

John
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

We chose to skip it this year... so much of the judging is political with what shirt you're wearing. Hitec's team is small and our pilots are like family; where many of the other brands throw out discounts and shirts left and right... to us, it's about quality not quantity. If you ever meet a Hitec team pilot you'll know what I mean.

Brandon Chitty has been a Hitec team pilot for over 6 years now and competed in the ETOC with an Optic 6 when everyone else was flying 12/14ch $1000+ radios and he still had one of the most memorable flights in the history of that event when he flew with his radio behind his back. Here's are a couple vids:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldRaYq19YDI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEeO5Im5H34[/youtube]
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
JIMF14D

Hey, that logic worked for me. After about one year with an A9, Ijust bought a second one after selling my trusty ten+year old Eclipse 7. Have a total of 10 Rxs, including two free 7 channels.

Jim D.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Brandon Chitty has been a Hitec team pilot for over 6 years now and competed in the ETOC with an Optic 6 when everyone else was flying 12/14ch $1000+ radios and he still had one of the most memorable flights in the history of that event when he flew with his radio behind his back. Here's are a couple vids
:

Proving once again, it's the pilot, not the radio.
I'm happy with my DX8 and 9303, but would be just as happy with any of the others.
Of course, there is that BNF and model match thing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.