Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 10CAG vs 8FG Super - pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 10CAG vs 8FG Super - pros and cons

Last June I pulled the trigger on a Futaba 10CAG which has been a great radio, even though I'm not using it near it's potential with my current aircraft. When I bought it I was comparing it to the 8FG, which at that time had "only" 8 channels. It was a difficult choice because I got the feeling that the 8FG was part of Futaba's "new" technology including online upgates, etc.. So now that the 8FG is becoming a "Super" 14 channel I'm thinking of selling my 10CAG Tx and getting the 8 FG. I fly mostly sport and scale type planes, and am getting into helicopters too. I use up channels quickly with two aileron, two elevator, one or two for flap, rudder, throttle, smoke, sliding canopy, etc., so the lure is there for the 14 channels. I do see a downside to the SBUS in that it gets expensive quickly when you buy the cables, decoders, programmers, and of course the more expensive SBUS servos - almost cheaper to buy the 14 channel rx!
So I'm just looking for some input and thoughts from you others who might be contemplating either radio.
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 10CAG vs 8FG Super - pros and cons

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Last June I pulled the trigger on a Futaba 10CAG which has been a great radio, even though I'm not using it near it's potential with my current aircraft. When I bought it I was comparing it to the 8FG, which at that time had ''only'' 8 channels. It was a difficult choice because I got the feeling that the 8FG was part of Futaba's ''new'' technology including online upgates, etc.. So now that the 8FG is becoming a ''Super'' 14 channel I'm thinking of selling my 10CAG Tx and getting the 8 FG. I fly mostly sport and scale type planes, and am getting into helicopters too. I use up channels quickly with two aileron, two elevator, one or two for flap, rudder, throttle, smoke, sliding canopy, etc., so the lure is there for the 14 channels. I do see a downside to the SBUS in that it gets expensive quickly when you buy the cables, decoders, programmers, and of course the more expensive SBUS servos - almost cheaper to buy the 14 channel rx!
So I'm just looking for some input and thoughts from you others who might be contemplating either radio.
Thanks in advance,
Sam
The 8FG is a good choice with the ability to add more channels, if necessary.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You already have the 14ch receiver that came with the 10CAG so if you get the 8FG you are set to go for 14ch's just sell the 10CAG with the 8ch receiverthat
came with the 8FG.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

How much for your 10CAG?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah same here except I'll be keeping my 10CAG for a while. I don't need more channels at this point. If I do I'd get the 8FG...maybe next year. Of course by then they will probably release something better than the 8FG...and on the progression goes. Keeps us buying new tx's every year.

My buddy just got an 8FG and I saw it yesterday at the flying field. Seems like a nice radio. I like my 10CAG's larger back lit display but that's about it. The 8FG feels a little smaller in my hands but doesn't seem like it would be a problem.

If I were buying one today I think it'd be a no-brainer. 8FG.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned the 9C for some time and when Iwanted to move to 2.4gHz Iopted for the TM-8 module. When Inext went shopping Iagonized over whether to go with the 10C or the then-new 8FG. Having had great luck with the Smart-Fly servo mixers/reverser on things like split elevators and multi-servo control surface applications Ifigured the 8FG would do, and Iliked the 2 gig memory chip feature. Sure enough, Futaba is putting out upgrades that can be downloaded to the Tx. I'm not sure about the helicopter features of the 10C (I'm a fixed wing pilot) but the 8FG has what appears to be some pretty sophisticated stuff (and even more with the "Super" upgrade).

I'm certain Iwould be happy with the 10C . . . but I'm happier Iwent with the 8FG. Ireally like most everything about it. But then Istill like my trusty 'ol 9C. Point being, it's nice to have a second capable transmitter available. Ihave my models set up on both radios so if something dread happens Ican always fly.

Note: you can set the 8FGto keep the display backlit full-time if you like. It has a battery saver cut-out that is adjustable. Itap the selector and set it to just two large timer displays with trim scales when flying.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks guys for your input. I'm leaning towards selling my 10 CAG and either buying a used 8FG or a new 8FG Super.
Sam