Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Forgot to turn off my XP9303...not good.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
tele1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot to turn off my XP9303...not good.

This is the second time I have done this. I was working on setting up my plane and got pulled away and forgot to turn off my 9303. Both times the same thing happened. The data gets corrupted and then it doesn't turn on at all. I sent it in for service last time and was told if the battery gets totaly discharged while it is on it power cycles until it lets the smoke out a part on the board. I searched all over to find more information... I can't be the only one that has left their transmitter on. This first time it happened I discovered the radio while it was power cycling. This time it was just totally dead. So, I charged the battery...crossed my fingers and sure enough when I looked for my models... gone and a kinds of crazy characters all over the screen.

Anyone else have this happen??

What really sucks is I have an IMAC contest in two weeks. I surely hope I can get it back by then. This is just not good.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Forgot to turn off my XP9303...not good.

ORIGINAL: tele1974

This is the second time I have done this. I was working on setting up my plane and got pulled away and forgot to turn off my 9303. Both times the same thing happened. The data gets corrupted and then it doesn't turn on at all. I sent it in for service last time and was told if the battery gets totaly discharged while it is on it power cycles until it lets the smoke out a part on the board. I searched all over to find more information... I can't be the only one that has left their transmitter on. This first time it happened I discovered the radio while it was power cycling. This time it was just totally dead. So, I charged the battery...crossed my fingers and sure enough when I looked for my models... gone and a kinds of crazy characters all over the screen.

Anyone else have this happen??

What really sucks is I have an IMAC contest in two weeks. I surely hope I can get it back by then. This is just not good.
I have been flying RC for 33 years and have left my transmitter on numerous times over the years. I have two XP9303 Tx's, now. I have left them on occasionally and run the battery down. I guess I have been lucky and not damaged the firmware. I can say that I have heard of the firmware in various radios being corrupted. Because we cannot reflash the firmware in our radios, ourselves, there is a chance that you will have to send in your radio and have it serviced. I do not know if you have lost your model memories, but it is possible. I purchased the JR PC Data Transfer software and USB cable. I backed up all my used Model Memories to my PC, in case of disasters like this. Call Horizon.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 AM
tele1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will need to be sent in... I will give them a call thou just in case something has changed.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The dreaded BACKUP ERROR

Send it in, there's nothing you can do.

I dont think you actually burnt any components, just corrupted the CMOS
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys telling us that if we remove the battery from the transmitter and get zero volts which is equivalent to a fully discharged battery that we loose all the software or that it gets all scrambled (corrupted)?

Zor

Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor

Are you guys telling us that if we remove the battery from the transmitter and get zero volts which is equivalent to a fully discharged battery that we loose all the software or that it gets all scrambled (corrupted)?

Zor

No!! Just like any computer, there can be conditions, during BootUp, that occasionally damage the OS and the firmware, as well. We may not be able to pinpoint what caused it, but the fix, in this case is to ReFlash at the factory. Some of the newer radios allow the user to Flash Upgrades to the firmware, but not this radio.

This firmware is in an Erasable Programmable ROM (EPROM) chip and does not require a battery to keep it alive.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yanking the battery out while its powered up is the same as leaving it turned on and I wouldn't recommend that.

Firmware is stored in non-volatale memory (doesn't require power or a watch battery) but as Rich said, certain things can corrupt it.

FWIW I doubt that even the firmware updatable radios can be recovered from this condition, even those have to be booted into the OS to allow you to update them.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yanking the battery out while its powered up is the same as leaving it turned on and I wouldn't recommend that.

Firmware is stored in non-volatale memory (doesn't require power or a watch battery) but as Rich said, certain things can corrupt it.

FWIW I doubt that even the firmware updatable radios can be recovered from this condition, even those have to be booted into the OS to allow you to update them.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Been there, done that twice with XP9303's.  New encoder boards both times.  You can't fix it yourself.