Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Trying to do something theoretically simple

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Zyph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to do something theoretically simple

So I have a plan to make a keychain that uses a small RC transmitter to activate a servo that will lock/unlock a deadbolt on a door. I have the servo mechanism designed but I can't seem to find an RC transmitter that's small and simple enough for what I need. I litterally need a tiny transmitter that has one or two inputs, and a compatible reciever. Any suggestions on what to use? Perhaps a toy to dismantle?

I'm using this servo for what it's worth.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trying to do something theoretically simple

Some of the toy truck and cars might have a transmitter small enough, but by using a standard servo, you are going to have to have a transmitter that produces the correct type of signal of the correct timing. Most if not all of the toys will not have the capability to operate a standard servo.

You may be able to setup a relay and gear motor on one of their receivers to operate the dead bolt. but not a servo.

You might get better ideas from a robotics forum. You might also consider looking at what's avaiable in the Lego Robotics.

Good luck

Don
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Zyph

Thanks,

After posting this and before any replies were given I had revised my plan to use a motor instead of a servo and I think that's looking to be the better choice. My local toy store sells those "My First RC" cars for very small children with only two buttons, but I have a sneaking suspicion that those are infrared, which won't work through a door. I'll have to check.

I'm surprised they don't have something like this on the market, it seems like it'd be useful for all sorts of things.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Lnewqban

If for a household, you could try one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...opener&x=0&y=0