Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9C Super and FASST Module - any tips or advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 9C Super and FASST Module - any tips or advice?

I fly RC gliders in the unlimited class on 72 MHz using a pair of Futaba 9C Super radios and don't wish to get new radios. A couple of years back I added a Spektrum DSM2 module to one of my Futaba 9C Supers and have started to move over some of my smaller planes. And I fly BNF planes with it too. So far so good. Now it is time to move over the big planes.

Spektrum came out with DSMX, which is a good thing since the density of 2.4 at big events has gone way beyond what anyone ever expected when DSM and DSM2 came out. But I don't normally attend these monster events so I was not concerned. 50 pilots at an even was more than I ever expected to encounter. I was going to move my big planes to DSM2 with confidence.

However, this year I plan to go to the NATs. 2.4 seems the way to go and there will be hundreds of pilots with radios and no frequency controls. I am not sure the DSM2 module is going to give me the confidence I want if I am going to fly my $2000 gliders half mile up and half mile out. And DSMX is not available in a module.

I decided to add a Futaba TM-7 module to the other 9C Super radio. I got this package:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUMU0&P=ML

Includes R617FS Receiver

So, now I move from a reader to a user. Looking for any tips around this FASST module and the installation of the receivers.

The first to get FASST will be a Kennedy Composites Supra Pro Competition.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/suprapro.htm This is an all glass plane so I don't expect any 2.4 problems. There is carbon in spots but it is minimal.

The second that will get FASST will be the original Supra.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/supra.htm

Here the fuse is a carbon/kevlar/glass weave with a nose cone. The wings are glass. I purchased an all glass nosecone but the fuse is still carbon weave. Any tips on installation would be appreciated. Since this has a nose cone, sticking the antenna outside anywhere near the nose cone may be a challenge.If a different FASST receiver would be better for this one, let me know.

Onequestion that comes to mind is thatI see that the TM-8 module has a 7 channel/8channel switch. Will the TM-7 work with an 8 channel FASST receiver or will it not bind? I understand I would only get 7 channels and that is all I need, but sometimes I want those extra slots for other things. Spektrum doesn't have this channel count switch so I have not encountered this before.

Any advice around the module, the receivers or installation is appreciated. I did search the forum and found misc. threads but thought I would ask my question specific to my situation.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9C Super and FASST Module - any tips or advice?

FrSky seems to be a good alternative for the 9C. I ordered one for my 9C from Hobby King, and should arrive in a couple of weeks. RC groups has a lot of info as well.
zx32tt
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TM-7 wont work with 8ch receiver, I had a TM-7 and sold it and got a TM-8 for my 9C I have had this set up about 3years works great.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 PM
aeajr

Thanks for the info
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

TM-7 will work with:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/air.html

R6004FF (4ch)
R616FFM (6ch)
R6106HF (6ch)
R6106HFC (6ch)
R607FS (7ch)
R617FS (7ch)

R6203SB
3/18ch, High voltage, S.Bus
- Three "normal" channels and one S.Bus channel allowing as many channels as the transmitter has available when using S.Bus equipment
- Full-range FASST receiver with dual antenna diversity

R6203SBE
3/18ch, High voltage, S.Bus
- Three "normal" channels, or as many channels as transmitter has available if using S.Bus
- For park flyer or indoor use airplanes and small size electric helicopters"
- Do not use for a middle or large scale model

For Futaba 9C transmitter I would useTM-8 module instead since You can use more receivers with that module (need to set 7ch mode for some FASST receivers according to chart in above link) and You get one more channels also.

/Bo

Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
aeajr

What is SBus?  I have been reading about that.

I was going to get the 8 channel TM-8 but the 8 channel receiver has SBus making it very expensive AND I don't know if it will work with my servos. 
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: aeajr

What is SBus? I have been reading about that.

I was going to get the 8 channel TM-8 but the 8 channel receiver has SBus making it very expensive AND I don't know if it will work with my servos.
Info here: http://futabarc.com/sbus/index.html

Doug.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
aeajr

Thanks Doug. I watched the video. Very very cool system for a large complex installation. 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
eddieC

I use the TM-7 and TM-8 in my 8UHP and 9CHPS with never a hiccup. I use 72, FASST and Spektrum 2.4 and see little reason to get another Tx in the near future. I do envy the JR protocol of naming aircraft, where the rx won't initialize unless the correct name is entered.

FrSky seems to be a good alternative for the 9C.
Thanks, but no thanks. I like a warranty with my purchase. Everybody I know orders doubles from HK because of their high fail rate, return shipping fees and wait time for warranty work. Not for everybody.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: eddieC

snip...

Thanks, but no thanks. I like a warranty with my purchase. Everybody I know orders doubles from HK because of their high fail rate, return shipping fees and wait time for warranty work. Not for everybody.
Funny you should say that. I have had pretty poor experience with HK, but Idecided to give them another chance. Iordered a motor and the decided to order two, just in case I have to throw one away. If one works, I will be happy. But Iwould not feel that way about my radio system.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
eddieC

If one works, I will be happy.  But I would not feel that way about my radio system.
Exactly how I feel (great minds...?). I'm OK with their motors and ESC's, but not rx's for anything but parkies. I guess the cost/risk factor.

I was lucky enough to visit your club site a couple years ago, beautiful surroundings and great folks. [8D]
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
aeajr

OK guys, I need to check something with you.

I did my first range check with my Futaba 9C Super and my new FASST module. 

I put the R617FS 7 channel receiver in my Supra 3.4M sailplane which has a Kevlar/Carbon weave fuselage with a nose cone of similar material.  I figured before I do final install I would do a range check with no special considerations.   I wanted to see what range I got before it failed.  Then , when I hit the limit I would switch to the fiberglass nose cone and see if that would give me more range and maybe even pass range check.

I hooked up the rudder, stuffed all the rest of the wires into the fuselage. and stuffed the anteanna in with no special care, one going forward and one going back.  I put the plane on a piece of foam sitting on my front stoop which is about 2 feet above the ground. I put the carbon/kevlar nose cone on so that the receiver is inside 2 layers of carbon/kevlar weave.

I walked away 30 paces turned and everything worked fine. I then hit and held the F/S button, expecting to fail range check, but it passed.  I checkd to see I was getting red blinking light.  Everything worked fine.   Really? 

I walked back to about 35 paces - still working.

I pointed the antenna directly at the model and finally lost signal.

Did I do this right?

Granted this is not a solid carbon fuse, it is a weave. But I did not expect this to pass wtih no special care at all.   I was all set to drill holes and run tubes outside the fuse inorder to insure a good range check.  But maybe I don't need to do that.  Really?

I do have an all fiberglass nosecone for the Supra which is what I plan to use, so that would reduce the shielding even further.

I am going to the field Sunday and will range check the fully assembled plane from every angle.  If it passes, it goes on the winch.

Guys. Did I do something wrong? Do I trust this?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 AM
eddieC

Sounds like it's OK, but you should orient the antennas 90 degrees to each other.This should be explained in the rx directions, which I'm sure you've read.   You want that 90 to form a 'plane' that will least likely be presented to the tx, i.e.,  with one rx antenna straight up and the other pointing forward or aft, the 'plane' will be oriented fore and aft. This will be the 'null', the weakest orientation for the radio link.  
Also, you'll not want the tx antenna to be pointing straight at the aircraft while flying, this is also a null orientation. I place mine at a 45 or 90.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
aeajr

eddieC, thanks for the tips.  I am aware of these guidelines but I welcome the reminder.  I was just amazed that I ranged check with such a haphazard installation.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
aeajr

You may not care about these reports but I figured since I started the thread I should at least report on the results.

I coverted my AVA today.  Again the 7 channel 617 receiver.  Same Carbon/Kevlar fuselage material as the Supra with a Carbon Kevlar nose cone. If you want to see the arrangement you can look at the build manual.  I don't have a shot of my install yet.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/ins...s/ava-v2.7.pdf

The receiver is inside the fuselage, under the servo tray.  One antenna inside and one antenna above the servo deck in a tube that holds it up off the deck.

I put the carbon/kevlar nose cone on and did a range test.  So the antenna that is above the servo deck is inside on layer of fabric. The one below the servo deck is inside two layers.

I set the fuse so I am looking at it from the bottom, as if it were directly over head. I think that would be my worst possible position based on the current install.  No side view at all to avoid the fabric layers.   There is probably a 60 degree angle between the antenna.    Range check was 45 paces.  Amazing.

However i will be switching to a fiberglass nosecone so there will be even less shielding.

Love this FASST stuff.